Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real sense crash test

Reaction score
Hi,

Even if I considere the typhoon H as good product, I have to say that the real sense thechnology is not so reliable. See my bad real experience considered as normal limit of the product by Yuneec SAV:

Reactions: pracownik
Yes RS was engaged and in this mode the typhoon always look in its flying direction.

RS is still in its infancy, I do not think I would put a lot of trust in it.
I hope you only lost a few props. It looked like you were pretty low.

Yes, thank to the autumn leaves on the ground I had very few damages. But I am realy disapointed by this option.

Why do you think I should not be dispointed by this real sense behaviour ?

WAS OBS even on? I have tested Real Sense around my house and it does see objects and tries to avoid them. I live in a wooded lot, and it even can see a clothes line.

But if you expect the H to fly itself, then your expectations are out of line. The technology is pretty solid, but nothing is 100%. Look at NASA, look at any kind of tech. If you work in IT, you know even the best systems are not without issues at times.

And based on your video, it looks like you flew your Typhoon sideways in to the tree.

Real Sense has a decent field of view, but it is primarily designed for forward flight. It does not offer 360 degree Obstacle Avoidance.

Flying it sideways in to a tree while having it's nose pointed 180 degrees or more away from the tree and at you is pilot error.

Also one last comment.

Why would you think Real Sense and OBS was on when using The Wizard? The only way to really know if you had it on is with The Controller.

This looks like you were flying in Follow Me, or POI, and simply walked The H in to a tree sideways.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayray
Yes, obstacles avoidance was on and I can see it avoids some obstacles before the crash without changing any thing. The yuneec SAV analysed the fly logs and the conclusion is that in some conditions (like to much sun for example), obstacles can not be avoided by the system.

Yes, obstacles avoidance was on and I can see it avoids some obstacles before the crash without changing any thing. The yuneec SAV analysed the fly logs and the conclusion is that in some conditions (like to much sun for example), obstacles can not be avoided by the system.

Why exactly are we seeing you in the video, and not where the H was flying?

Why exactly are we seeing you in the video, and not where the H was flying?
Hi Tree,
When watch me is activated and obstacle avoidance is on, the 360 camera watch the subject but the drone automatically do a forward flight in order to use the front obstacle avoidance.

Reactions: mcbutler
Rayray is very right. Looks like you ran the darn thing into the trees. You attempted something I would never try. Seeing is believing.
Hi CC Rider,
This is your point of view, I personnaly assume that if a product is sold with a very accurate obstacle avoidance system that is supposed to detect trees, it should avoid trees ! So I posted this video to show the limit I encontered with the real sens technology.

Hi CC Rider,
This is your point of view, I personnaly assume that if a product is sold with a very accurate obstacle avoidance system that is supposed to detect trees, it should avoid trees ! So I posted this video to show the limit I encontered with the real sens technology.

No, it is NOT not my point of view; it's the CAMERA'S point of view of you and your antics that prove my point about what you did that day. Camera's, unlike people, do not lie.

Face it, dude: You ran your Typhoon H right into the trees. Stevie Wonder couldn't have done a better job of crashing it.

Reactions: Andraika
Even if RS is turned on it would be pointing at the direction of travel and you ran under the trees at an angle so that would be the direction it was pointing and RS wouldn't be able to account for branches that angle in from behind it. Had you run straight under the trees it would have turn more and sensed the branches. I've used RS many times and it's worked 100% of the time for me even with very thin branches. You have to know the product and what it can't do to use it successfully

Reactions: THoff and Dr Delta
Even if RS is turned on it would be pointing at the direction of travel and you ran under the trees at an angle so that would be the direction it was pointing and RS wouldn't be able to account for branches that angle in from behind it. Had you run straight under the trees it would have turn more and sensed the branches. I've used RS many times and it's worked 100% of the time for me even with very thin branches. You have to know the product and what it can't do to use it successfully
Hi Richk,
I am sorry but I took a lot of time to study this product before to test it in such conditions.

Extract from yuneek FAQ :
How does the RealSense work when it only faces forward?
In Smart Mode, Typhoon H will rotate so the RealSense points in the direction of travel while utilizing the 360° gimbal to automatically keep the camera trained on the subject.

In my case, the RealSense points in the direction of the branches, so it should have avoid it. But may be due to the speed or sun, the obstacles was not correctly avoided.

Because you approched the tree line at an angle it appears that longer branches that where not in the flight path hit it from the side. If you ran straight into the trees RS would have faced the trees and avoided,but because of your angled approach it had already pasted the longer branch that hit you which because of the angle it went undetected. If you want realsense to work with branch you have to approach them headon

Hi Richk,
I am sorry but I took a lot of time to study this product before to test it in such conditions.

Extract from yuneek FAQ :
How does the RealSense work when it only faces forward?
In Smart Mode, Typhoon H will rotate so the RealSense points in the direction of travel while utilizing the 360° gimbal to automatically keep the camera trained on the subject.

In my case, the RealSense points in the direction of the branches, so it should have avoid it. But may be due to the speed or sun, the obstacles was not correctly avoided.

Dude, seriously. Quit while you are ahead.

Check out your video again. It's as apparent as the Kennedy Zapruder film.

With RS on and the H obviously tracking you in Smart Mode, the Typhoon DID "...keep the camera trained on the subject" as you stated. Problem is, that means the Typhoon's forward-facing sensors were ALSO trained on YOU, and therefore could be of no help to you in avoiding objects laterally, not even if an 18-wheeler was parked there.

RS & OA are not 360-degree protection. They both have finite limitations and views.

Face it: You just ran your H into the trees. Period.

Which 360 degree camera, Voz?

I have a real sense H. The camera is in front, never noticed a 360 degree camera for the Real Sense ability. The RS is a program (!!), with a camera pointing in travel direction, it needs to investigate a lot to make out a plot of the surroundings. After that it can try and interpret the sketch it made of the surroundings.
So if you run sideways into bushes (no leafs just small branches) directly after take off RS might prove not be such a wonder as one whishes it to be.

Glad it turned out not to bad.

Cheers.

Last edited:
With RS engaged in smart modes other than CCC it is suppose to keep the H pointing in the direction of forward flight, but because of the shape angled approach and the fact the RS is detecting in a cone pattern he was to close to the breaches when turning into them and the branches slid behind the cone of detection

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gautamadani