Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Real Sense is it worth the extra cash?

Reaction score
doing my pre-buy research
part of me says wait for the +
but now that a plan to put the e90 on a normal H exists, just wondering if I should grab a bargain

Love autonomous modes, but also do a lot of just plain stick flying.
Been slow to warm to all the new fangled avoidance stuff but saw a couple videos on real sense that seem pretty impressive.

RealSense is most useful in 2 Smart modes. Follow Me and Watch Me.

If you're in pre-buy research mode you'll want to read this effort to fill in the gaps in the Yuneec manual for the TH

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

BTW, the TH480 is a heck of a hexacopter. We're all rooting for the H+ to be even better. Yuneec has said the new 1" camera will be available for the TH480 but I would also expect it to be pricey for quite some time after its released. They'd probably like to see more people buy the H+ than simply upgrade cameras.

Reactions: Pyrate
The practical use of the RealSense is limited in my opinion. Unless you have a need to use it on a continuing basis then I wouldn't bother. Seems like most people who buy it, rarely use it.

I have to agree with Steve, I have it on 2 of my H's and hardly use it, but with RS you also do get IPS

The most practical use of RS is that with the 2 down facing sonar units it won’t allow you to land with the gear up.

IPS is interesting but not something I’ve ever used.

I have one H with RS and one without. I do hope to exercise the Follow Me and Watch Me functions with RS in the next couple of months though just to see how well it works.

RS works quite well.
I often use it in follow-mode but also in small surroundings, that being gardens etcetera. I am glad I spent the few bucks extra.

I've got no regrets with my RS investment in one TH. I just haven't used it much (yet). I do plan to give it a try in a trip coming up soon where there a lots of live oak trees that overarch the narrow roads on the island.

I've got no regrets with my RS investment in one TH. I just haven't used it much (yet). I do plan to give it a try in a trip coming up soon where there a lots of live oak trees that overarch the narrow roads on the island.
I was playing around with RS this weekend. Went to a small, empty park with a walking trail around the perimeter and some clusters of trees, both bare and fully bloomed. The TH made some interesting 'decisions' on which path to take through and around the trees. It was quite comical to watch the TH think about where it wanted to go. It looked, then turned, looked again, then turned again, then picked another direction.
Next time I try to use it, I will strap the GoPro to my head to show what the TH does to select a path.

Reactions: yerrickl
Don’t forget that RS learns by storing the info. If you go down the same path it should continue to learn and improve.

The examples that I have seen are actually quite good considering.
Now to decide on whether to jump on a smoking H deal or belly up to the latest greatest and spend the cash on the new one

RealSense is most useful in 2 Smart modes. Follow Me and Watch Me.

If you're in pre-buy research mode you'll want to read this effort to fill in the gaps in the Yuneec manual for the TH

Typhoon H manual - cleaned Up and updated (70pgs)

BTW, the TH480 is a heck of a hexacopter. We're all rooting for the H+ to be even better. Yuneec has said the new 1" camera will be available for the TH480 but I would also expect it to be pricey for quite some time after its released. They'd probably like to see more people buy the H+ than simply upgrade cameras.

Great read, so in just a few minuets reading I see to get the indoor (optical flow) type of capability you need real sense, as standard object avoidance does not supply that

Great read, so in just a few minuets reading I see to get the indoor (optical flow) type of capability you need real sense, as standard object avoidance does not supply that
Right. But again, a warehouse would be suitable for a machine of this size. In the house it could be a substitute for a ceiling fan perhaps.

Reactions: Pyrate
Dont fly drones in the house
that is a no no

Reactions: Steve Carr
The practical use of the RealSense is limited in my opinion. Unless you have a need to use it on a continuing basis then I wouldn't bother. Seems like most people who buy it, rarely use it.
I agree with Steve, I took mine off because I could not get smooth video with it and it shortened flight time due to increased battery drain...

I've been flying a H480 without Realsence since the H was released to the consumer at the start of June 2016. I did at one point consider acquiring a Realsence as an add-on when Realsence was made available but in the end decided not to go down that route, my argument being that: 'I've been flying this thing for several months and not needed Realsence, so why do I need it now?'. Heck, in the almost two years I'be been flying the H480 I've never once even switched on the sonar!

So IMHO (just my view) Realsence is just a gimmick that can easily be done without. I acknowledge that some pilots may disagree with me. It's just my opinion. Spend the cash saved on extra batteries.

Keep in mind that Yuneec was an early adopter of Intel's first generation RealSense. I'm not sure they've completely exploited its capabilities despite Intel's assistance.

The H+ looks to have a new version of RealSense.

interesting, how can you tell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop