Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

RealSense Question

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell if the RealSense is working. The last time I was out flying I walked toward the front of the drone with my hand up in front of the RealSense lenses and expected the drone to back away but it didn't. The time previous to doing the firmware upgrade I remember it backing away from me as I approached it from the front. Is there maybe a setting somewhere that could have been changed by the firmware upgrade. Is there an indicator somewhere that it is on or off?

Also, I didn't know about it until today but I didn't delete the flight data before doing the drone firmware update. Any idea what issues not doing so might cause? I'm thinking about redoing the upgrade but afraid I may end up with other issues.

Is there a way to tell if the RealSense is working. The last time I was out flying I walked toward the front of the drone with my hand up in front of the RealSense lenses and expected the drone to back away but it didn't. The time previous to doing the firmware upgrade I remember it backing away from me as I approached it from the front. Is there maybe a setting somewhere that could have been changed by the firmware upgrade. Is there an indicator somewhere that it is on or off?

Also, I didn't know about it until today but I didn't delete the flight data before doing the drone firmware update. Any idea what issues not doing so might cause? I'm thinking about redoing the upgrade but afraid I may end up with other issues.
Hiya,
Did you have the UAV in 'Smart Mode'? The Obstacle Avoidance won't work without it.

Thanks Russ M for the information.

I think I tried it both ways but will have to try it again to confirm. So there is no obstacle avoidance at all in Angle mode!? It seems like I would be more inclined to maneuver the drone through a tight spot in Angle mode through trees, etc. Also, it seems like it would be more effective in that mode because the drone flies with the front facing the direction of travel. Could the reason it's not operational in Angle mode be because there is no speed restriction in that mode???? Between the RealSense and sonar (facing forward and downward) the subject of obstacle avoidance is very confusing to me!

So there is no obstacle avoidance at all in Angle mode!? It seems like I would be more inclined to maneuver the drone through a tight spot in Angle mode through trees, etc. Also, it seems like it would be more effective in that mode because the drone flies with the front facing the direction of travel.

You can switch on RS OA in Angle mode, you'll see the OA emblem turn green. In Angle Mode the drone may or may not face direction of travel. Only in Smart Mode does it always do that. Also, in Angle Mode with RS on, the RS will not avoid an object but simply stop (and yells out "HELP"!).

OK, joking about the yell, but you will have to steer it in that instance. Anytime RS is active, max speed is limited to 10-11 mph.
RS can also be switched on in RTH mode, not automatic.

So does that mean that the sonar and RealSense are tied together on the same switch S3 "OBS.AVOID" or is the switch just for RS?

There was a lot going on that I was trying to process the last time I was flying so I don't remember all of the details but I'm pretty sure that I had the "OBS.AVOID switch on and in Angle mode when I walked up to the drone and put my hand in front of it. I remember the control beeping faster as I got closer to it but it didn't back away. Is it supposed to? I thought I saw a video where it did.

Did you ever receive an answer. I noticed that the backing away stopped when I went to a realsense equipped H.

"Did you ever receive an answer. I noticed that the backing away stopped when I went to a realsense equipped H."

Can't say that I have. It will stop in front of me but if I walk toward it I believe I could walk right into it without it moving. I know that in smart mode it will move away but I believe that is GPS distance related and not obstacle avoidance.

Did you ever receive an answer. I noticed that the backing away stopped when I went to a realsense equipped H.
Backing away only works with the standard OBS (front ultra sonic sensors). I have tested it with my YTH PRO RS while the RS had failed to boot up (displaying the appropriate message): in case of RS module not being initiated, the front ultra sonic sensors become in use (like a fall back solution) and than "backing away" works as on the original standard/advanced models.

I did not test what happens if you uncheck the "RS equipped" option in the menu, but maybe (latest after a restart) this can reactivate the ultra sonic sensors intentionally...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval