Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Registering to fly RC models & drones

Reaction score
Ok I am in the UK it becomes law on the 30th November I took the test and payed my £9 fee so now am legal have my I'd and need to buy the stickers from eBay so my pals questions to the CAA this morning regarding someone copying his I'd and using it on their drone and here is what was said over the phone

Ok he agreed with me that someone could copy my I'd and fly.
I said so if they have a crash and run away, the police will then knock on my door. How do I prove it wasent me ?.
He said I'm not sure .
I said would they want to see the flight logs,
He says im not sure im just the registration.
The process is flawed tam

Same as your number plate being cloned. A friend had a real job trying to prove the vehicle wasn't his which had £1000s in parking tickets, took 18 months to sort out. There are going to be problems, in a way the registration means if a drone is flown illegally, then they have a list to harass regardless of their innocence.

Reactions: Ren57
Yea I agree we had a reg number from a van we traded in and it ended up in England it kept getting speeding fines from cameras took our company along time to get it fixed out this from registration is flawed as my pal Brian says

My argument would be if it happens well if it was me I would not have left my I'd on the drone

Make sure you don't leave any finger prints or DNA on the drone.
I use this suit when flying, no problem with DNA. And the sign I put up I get no problems from members of the public or the police.

Attachments

• 6a999123ff62ec5698759b9567fdba42.jpg
    6a999123ff62ec5698759b9567fdba42.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 19
  • infectious-biological-materials-biohazard-sign-s-6668.png
    infectious-biological-materials-biohazard-sign-s-6668.png
    87.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zardoz
Just received this reply still not really answering my question which means they don't have a Answer

Thomas

Thank you for your enquiry.

The CAA are not issuing sticker so that people have a choice as to how they which to apply the id to their drone or model aircraft.

Only someone who has access to your operator id could copy it and use it on their drone or model aircraft, the data is not available via the service.

Andrea Chew
Drone & Model Aircraft Registration Service
Civil Aviation Authority

Last edited:
Just received this reply still not really answering my question which means they don't have a Answer

Thomas

Thank you for your enquiry.

The CAA are not issuing sticker so that people have a choice as to how they which to apply the id to their drone or model aircraft.

Only someone who has access to your operator id could copy it and use it on their drone or model aircraft, the data is not available via the service.

Andrea Chew
Drone & Model Aircraft Registration Service
Civil Aviation Authority
People have a habit of posting photos of their drones and not sufficiently hiding their numbers, someone could take a number casually approaching someone to talk too them, there are devious ways, and the big one, the website hacked and all our details stolen!

My pal Brian has emailed the email address I got my reply from here is what he has sent as soon as he gets a reply from them I will post it up

Hi Andrea,

I would like to raise the below queery with you, as regards to how the new Registration Process may not be as secure as it could be.

With the new Drone Registration that's been introduced, What would stop someone from copying a registered pilots ID, that is attached to the drone, then flying themselves unregistered, meaning that if they are involved in an incident, the authorities would contact the ID that's attached to the retrieved drone. It could happen ?.

Similar to car cloning..i think

the CAA should have developed telemetry software /app that would of tied into the flight logs similar to what the drone manufacturers currently use.

Basically, the registration is a £9.00 sticker.

Its basically saying that someone ( not registered), could copy a registered pilots I'd, by just looking at the sticker on the drone , then flying under someone else's I'd,

Should the drone manufacturers serial number which is different for each drone model, also be added to the persons registration ?

The only person who would know the serial number would be the owner of the drone...

Thanks ..Bryan McCabe

My pal Brian has emailed the email address I got my reply from here is what he has sent as soon as he gets a reply from them I will post it up

Hi Andrea,

I would like to raise the below queery with you, as regards to how the new Registration Process may not be as secure as it could be.

With the new Drone Registration that's been introduced, What would stop someone from copying a registered pilots ID, that is attached to the drone, then flying themselves unregistered, meaning that if they are involved in an incident, the authorities would contact the ID that's attached to the retrieved drone. It could happen ?.

Similar to car cloning..i think

the CAA should have developed telemetry software /app that would of tied into the flight logs similar to what the drone manufacturers currently use.

Basically, the registration is a £9.00 sticker.

Its basically saying that someone ( not registered), could copy a registered pilots I'd, by just looking at the sticker on the drone , then flying under someone else's I'd,

Should the drone manufacturers serial number which is different for each drone model, also be added to the persons registration ?

The only person who would know the serial number would be the owner of the drone...

Thanks ..Bryan McCabe
If it's on a server then our details are vulnerable.

Again that would be up to the CAA to protect our details be interesting to see what their reply will be

the french system is much better on there website you have to say what drones you fly / register ( drop-down list ) and you also add the drones serial number so the 2 have to match up

the french system is much better on there website you have to say what drones you fly / register ( drop-down list ) and you also add the drones serial number so the 2 have to match up
Do have to add serial numbers to the UK one?

The Canadian system which became law June 1 2019, I think is quite secure. From the secure government portal, a pilot must get a Transport Canada registration # for each of your aircraft which must be placed securely on each aircraft on a visible exterior surface. Each aircraft's make, model and serial number is also recorded on the Transport Canada encripted website when you register the aircraft. The pilot's certification number is different from the aircraft number and is only accessible to the pilot and Transport Canada and lists your certification number level as "Basic" or "Advanced" and the certificaton is only issued after passing the required exam for each category and flight test for the advanced certification.
Of course, someone could look at your aircraft sticker and copy it and put it on their unregistered aircraft, but if an incident occured, the serial number of the unregistered (crashed) aircraft would not agree with your registered aircraft's, so it would be obvious proof that it was not your aircraft.

Last edited:
Do have to add serial numbers to the UK one?
@Thomas111 gave the answer for me sorry @Mrgs1 been a bit busy to reply
only have to do the online test pay and you are given an Operator ID and a Flyer ID
can't remember having to give my address ( seems pointless registering ) just required an email address

a bit more on the French registration
details
address ( i was able to use my UK address to register )
drone model ( you can list more than 1 )
the serial number for each drone

the french system then gives one registration number this is your flyer id and drone (s) id to be attached to your drone (s)
the french exam is 30 questions and you have got to get them all correct ( if I remember correctly the UK is only 16 out of the 20 questions correct )

flying in France has a lot more restrictions than flying in the UK and you have got to carry everything with you your full registration papers
and proof of insurance so that you can show it all if you get questioned by the police
you also have to demonstrate that you have check you can fly where you are flying by means of a drone app/drone map
i had a print out of where i was flying with me

its a lot easier flying in the UK but i do think the system is pointless and just a money-making scheme whereas the french system is free yet you have to do and give so much more

I agree the UK system is flawed and my pal Brian is still not had a reply to his email asking why no seriel number and the fact someone can fly with Ur I'd and it would be the registered operator that gets in to trouble

I agree the UK system is flawed and my pal Brian is still not had a reply to his email asking why no seriel number and the fact someone can fly with Ur I'd and it would be the registered operator that gets in to trouble
What can the Police check against, there's no real database, just numbers and email addresses? Local copper if you showed him a fake number on a print out probably wouldn't know any better.

Reactions: thetrecker
Correct your details are just emailed to you and I can't see the police calling the CAA but I will see if I get anything said to me but again the police are stretched as it is so don't really think it will be 1st on their priorities scare mongering I think this is worst £9 I spent

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis