Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Reliability

Reaction score
I am new to Drones, but have been researching the last 4 months. I really like the H platform and I have a local hobby store close to me that sells them and gives tutorial on flights. Im also looking at the Mavic Pro.
One thing that has me leaning towards the Mavic is its compact size, but I like the H has a full 360 rotating camera which the Mavic doesnt have. I am reading that the Mavic seems to have a higher confidence level.in reliabaility etc.. SO how is the H in terms of reliability, etc.?

The physical size of the H has me wondering about taking it on aircraft. One of the reasons Im wanting to buy one is because of a trip to the Michigan UP.. Id want to bring it as carry on as I wouldnt trust it otherwise.

Any Help appreciated!

IMHO the reliability of the H is very good and mostly determined by the knowledge and skills the pilot develops. It flies very well and it's a solid platform. If you want to get the most out of it you need to put some time into learning about the aircraft and its system.

Personally I prefer the Yuneec ST16 controller over using the DJI controller and adding my phone or tablet.

For size and portability it's hard to beat the Mavic Pro Platinum.

I don't go on commercial aircraft with my H so I can't comment on carry on ability. I do have the Yuneec hard case for the H but I'm not sure if it's small enough for carry on.

P.S. I just looked up the dimensions of hard case: 20.5 x 13.8 x 19.3 inches

Thanks Ron, Im in NC as well (greensboro). One of the things I really value with the H is that I have a dealer near me who would give me tutorials on the drone and test flights etc while being supervised by someone who knows the system well. I do not have that luxury with the Mavic.. Does the lack of having a full rotating camera on the Mavic seem an issue, I like that feature on the H.

Thanks Ron, Im in NC as well (greensboro). One of the things I really value with the H is that I have a dealer near me who would give me tutorials on the drone and test flights etc while being supervised by someone who knows the system well. I do not have that luxury with the Mavic.. Does the lack of having a full rotating camera on the Mavic seem an issue, I like that feature on the H.
I can only speak from my experience having only flown Yuneec aircraft both with 360 rotation cameras.
Whilst a lot of the time I film/photograph with the camera pointing forwards, the rotation allows one to fly a CCC or waypoint course and forget all about the angle of the aircraft whilst controlling the UAV as it travels autonomously.

It all depends on what you really want to do with the aircraft. I like the drones for a video/photo platform.

The 360 camera on the H is a real boon for me for videos. I usually put the H at a modest speed using the "cruise" control or CCC feature and with the landing gear up I can put my attention on being the camera operator for a while and using the pan and tilt controls for excellent video.

That's not to say you can't get good videos with the MPP but you will have to yaw the aircraft to get similar results.

Having someone to teach you the ropes of the H is a huge advantage. Without that mentor I would recommend that regardless of your choice of aircraft that you first get a drone for less than $100 and learn to fly that. You will break props and scare yourself but you will learn what the sticks are all about.

P.S. Greensboro isn't that far away :)

I can only speak to the FLY ABILITY of the H.
It will do much better in windy conditions. It will survive a in flight motor failure. While being larger, it also meas you can see it further out.
I think the H was much more geared for photography/video. It is not all that fast, but you do not need speed for doing videos.
I am very happy with mine. I would upgrade at some point if someone ever offers one with a good zoom on it.

O.k so then the only limiting factor would be the ability to take on an aircraft with me for vacations..
Is this doable (smaller aircraft like the m80)

It all depends on what you really want to do with the aircraft. I like the drones for a video/photo platform.

The 360 camera on the H is a real boon for me for videos. I usually put the H at a modest speed using the "cruise" control or CCC feature and with the landing gear up I can put my attention on being the camera operator for a while and using the pan and tilt controls for excellent video.

That's not to say you can't get good videos with the MPP but you will have to yaw the aircraft to get similar results.

Having someone to teach you the ropes of the H is a huge advantage. Without that mentor I would recommend that regardless of your choice of aircraft that you first get a drone for less than $100 and learn to fly that. You will break props and scare yourself but you will learn what the sticks are all about.

P.S. Greensboro isn't that far away :)

Yea Im not that far away! So Ilike the idea of getting a drone cheaply to fly first.. this is good sense. I may purchase both at the same time and maybe keep the expensive one boxed until i fly a bit..They have a deal now for 1100 for the h Pro, seems like a good deal?

They have a deal now for 1100 for the h Pro, seems like a good deal?
By the H Pro, does that mean with the RealSense?
Either way, the price is on the high side. I think you can find the H with a backpack and extra battery for about $850. And just my opinion, you can live nicely w/o the RealSense.
Where are you going in the UP?

Steve, we rent a cabin every year in Au train, right on the lake. Id always wanted to take a drone there!
Thats why I wonder about flying with it, having it fit with me on an airplane. That will be a very limiting factor and if anything pushes me to a Mavic, it would be that factor.

Yes I was looking at ones with RealSense., He had the one without realsense for 700

Reading all the above..... you best buy a Mavic or an even smaller gadget, since you are convinced of its supriority. That's fine in terms of portability... Same story Hang Gliding <--> Paragliding.

Or await the H+

:)

He had the one without realsense for 700
An extra $400 for realsense could be better spent on other things. After the first few flights it may never be used again.
It's hard to find an all-in-one machine. Each has features that make it desirable for certain situations. Portability of the H is a definite limitation. Have you looked at the Breeze? It's short range but for $150 it's a good beginner model and still takes nice video.

Reading all the above..... you best buy a Mavic or an even smaller gadget, since you are convinced of its supriority. That's fine in terms of portability... Same story Hang Gliding <--> Paragliding.

Or await the H+

:)

Yes, well as was said Its tough to find everything in one. For me I will be using it 90% for family functions vacations etc.. and 99% of those will be in a car driving, but the 1 time I REALLY want to use it will be taking a flight up north and I dont reckon I trust them to put that thin on the plane and come away unscathed if I cant take it as carry on. I'm a motorcycle and truck guy.. I have my favorites, My favorites aren't always the best but they serve my needs the best!

Both the Mavic and H have plusses and minuses. The H is difficult at best to fit as a carry on. Best to obtain a good transport case and send it as baggage, saving the carry on space for batteries, which cannot ship in baggage. The Mavic is smaller and will fit carry on but the flight restriction software/nannyware can make it’s use very aggravating. The Mavic’s strong suit is found when it’s used in confined spaces.

The H’s strong suit is the gimbal. Raise the gear and you can do far more with the 360* gimbal than you can even think about with a Mavic. There has yet to be a “one size fits all” multirotor made so you have to carefully choose how you want to use one and make decisions carefully. It’s really easy to end up with several different models when you have many different uses.

An extra $400 for realsense could be better spent on other things. After the first few flights it may never be used again.
It's hard to find an all-in-one machine. Each has features that make it desirable for certain situations. Portability of the H is a definite limitation. Have you looked at the Breeze? It's short range but for $150 it's a good beginner model and still takes nice video.
he's a good salesman, that realsense made "real Sense" when hearing him discuss it., but after thinking about your points, maybe it's fine without? I mean thats the only difference, correct?

Both the Mavic and H have plusses and minuses. The H is difficult at best to fit as a carry on. Best to obtain a good transport case and send it as baggage, saving the carry on space for batteries, which cannot ship in baggage. The Mavic is smaller and will fit carry on but the flight restriction software/nannyware can make it’s use very aggravating. The Mavic’s strong suit is found when it’s used in confined spaces.

Well i think you guys have helped solidify my decision. I will purchase a New H next Monday when I get back from Camping. I will also purchase a small " test dummy" drone to play with first.

Thanks so much for the help, Im sure I'll be back with questions!

Ron,

If your use plans don’t include extensive use of the Follow function RealSense ends up mostly dead weight and money spent that could have gone towards extra batteries. I’ve been using a pair of H’s for the past two years and have yet to be in a position to need, or even want, RealSense.

Reactions: FlushVision
It's also very easy to add the RealSense module later if you find you really want it.

I live in the middle of the woods. I literally have about 25 feet of yard in all directions, then trees for acres.. It might be smart for me to have it! There is a nice farm field about 300 yards through the trees that the deer like to hang in, and I think that would be cool to hover and see if I catch anything on cam! (although they come up to my door!)

I live on a wooded 1 acre lot in a wooded development and I don't like flying here. Just about every time I've tried it didn't end well. In my case I don't think RS would help. I'm happy to make the 5 mile drive to a nearby park with a LOT more space to fly in. There are some very nice county parks not far away as well. I'm also happy to drive to many locations in NC, SC and VA for photography and take the H with me. I'll be headed to Bald Head Island in a few days and weather permitting I'll put the H in the air and get some video.

P.S. I have 2 H and one has RS. I tried the RS a couple of times it wasn't a help. YMMV

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval