Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Resistive cell problems...

Reaction score
I presume that the reason this 3-season-old original Yuneec battery pack I have here is getting recharge / balance problems is because of its cell resistance ?

That is currently reporting as 0, 4, 0, 20 in the IR department. May I get your confirmation that this is likely to be the reason that neither my old B6 charger or this new one won't balance the 4th cell, which keeps slipping back to 3.7v just as the charger reports it has reached 4.2v ?

If so, can anything be done about that, or should that pack be retired gracefully before it causes flight problems ? It is still what I would call 'unpuffed', though after 80 odd cycles, isn't quite as tight as it used to be in that there is a small amount of play in the surface, which does not get worse with further use.

However I do note it was this pack that was powering my recently posted 'flight 232' when it fell out of the sky, which gives me further reason to suspect it, even if that event was unrelated to power...

Thanks everyone

AJ

An IR higher than 10 indicates a failing cell. At least that's my understanding. A reading of zero is curious. I would expect something higher the 2.

Thank you. That battery is gone then. Could that also explain the unintentional 10 ft drop from the sky the other day, say if it was failing mid-flight ? I'm kind of assuming not, as nothing that weird with power was reported in the telemetry, but IME that is just the sort of thing a failing cell might do !

CBR

Thank you. That battery is gone then. Could that also explain the unintentional 10 ft drop from the sky the other day, say if it was failing mid-flight ? CBR
It could explain the drop. However, there was absolutely no indication of significant voltage drop in the telemetry. A failing battery will generally show a larger voltage drop on takeoff when the battery load is at max. That did not happen.
I think more testing of that batt is warranted. The IR readings can be different on subsequent tests. Combine those readings with what you see happen on the voltage readout on the ST16 during flight or in the telemetry. The fact that other things were happening with the baro reading and rapid descent did not point at the battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval