Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Restricted airspace questions

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm located approximately 100 ft. outside the 5 mile circle from the nearest airport. What can I expect to happen if I attempt to enter the airspace? I have no desire to enter the restricted area but am curious as to what I should expect. Will I get some type of warning or will entry be automatically prevented?
Jim F.

Hobby flight rules (336/AMA /etc) or commercial Part 107 rules? (Yes I know about the FAA Reauth. Until something new is in place told to follow old rules)

Depends on a few things....mainly what is the class of the airspace, and is there a control tower or not. The answers to those two questions determines what’s next.

If you don’t know any of this stuff give them a call.

What to expect if you just try it? Well, depends.....is it Jim Bobs Grass Strip Airpark.....or LAX? I can assure you the reactions to an incursion will be vastly different.

(If it is LAX, please don’t try it.)

My concern is actually about the H and the ST16. Specifically, would the drone detect the incursion and refuse to go further and would the ST16 display a warning? Or what? I'm curious as to what to expect but don't have much desire to personally check it and find myself violating the airspace prohibition.
What prompted my curiosity was the wording on the Safety guidelines accompanying the FAA Certificate of Registration which reads " Never fly within 5 mites of an airport without first contacting air traffic control and airport authorities". But if the H is aware of the restricted area and won't allow flight there (without a waiver) my concerns are academic.

First the H while flying into a restricted or ATC including E without tower air space isn't going to shut down, nor do I see the H giving you warning.
This is all left up to you, "knowing your location". We do know the H will not power up when your inside those boundaries.
There is no invisible barrier to stop the H / drones as we know of (hmmmmm), Only SIFI movies have that. "Black" technology isn't going to be disclosed for many many years, if at all, by then it's old. Like they say "do you have a need to know"?:cool:

According to Ken Heron - YouTube, his DJI stopped dead in its tracks when entering a Commercial air space. I will add that I often flying outside of the Albany International Air Space 8 Miles and every so often they change there flight pattern, for holding Planes to fly right over head of where I am. I get a warning on the Screen about Air Traffic in the area. If I'm on the ground it the H refuses to take off. I am rarely above 100 feet and never had it drop out of the sky when US Air passes about 1,500 feet over my head. I just pack up my bird ASAP. I have filed a several complaints with the FAA about them violating my Air Space but to no Avail. Go Figure.

What screen gives you a warning about traffic in the area?
When you say your airspace, can you explain?

Hobby flight rules (336/AMA /etc) or commercial Part 107 rules? (Yes I know about the FAA Reauth. Until something new is in place told to follow old rules)

Depends on a few things....mainly what is the class of the airspace,

Current rules have no mention of airspace classes. They do mention special use like TFRs, etc.

and is there a control tower or not. The answers to those two questions determines what’s next.

If you don’t know any of this stuff give them a call.

Again, current rules do not make a distinction on if there is a tower or. They current rule requires notification when within 5SM of the center point of the airport.

As noted, all of that changes once the FAA implements the provision in the 2018 FAA Reauthorization.

According to Ken Heron - YouTube, his DJI stopped dead in its tracks when entering a Commercial air space.

DJI has overly aggressive NFZ built into their software. Yuneec is much less aggressive.

Having said all that. Use your common sense. Don't fly where you think there is any chance of impacting manned aircraft.

Current rules have no mention of airspace classes. They do mention special use like TFRs, etc.

Again, current rules do not make a distinction on if there is a tower or. They current rule requires notification when within 5SM of the center point of the airport.

As noted, all of that changes once the FAA implements the provision in the 2018 FAA Reauthorization.

Yeah, sorry, was thinking in Part 107, should have specified that.....and shouldn’t reply at 1:00 AM just minutes away from lights out. None of that matters because it’s not what the OP was asking anyway.

Reactions: Phaedrus
One of the major reasons I left DJI is their absurdly overly aggressive geofencing. Yuneec if far less aggressive and more easily unlocked (from what I hear). They use only major airports as NFZ to start. Which is as it should be. It is OUR responsibility to know if we are in a location that is safe and legal to operate at. I don't like relying on phone apps, internal software locks etc. It is called Pilot in Command for a reason. It is on YOU (me) to know if it is ok to fly.

Reactions: PatR
I haven’t had any issues yet with the ST16 locking me out, but I haven’t tried any ops within 5 miles of DFW, Alliance or Meacham, the only local majors. My Mavic Air reminds me though, but doesn’t try to stop me. The whole Metroplex is covered by E700 and the Mavic reminds me but the ST16 doesn’t bother. I’ve found that the many local air parks without towers simply don’t care unless you get on their property, fly up in the pattern, or the approach/departure lanes. I get the feeling they’re annoyed by a call from a guy flying his drone in a field 4 miles away.

It can work out for the better....I was going to fly at a park just a mile from a local airport (no tower, E700, CTAF) and the FBO operation told me: “Come on out, pay a landing fee, buy a sandwich and a Red Bull and you can fly here all day”. So I did. Told me to stay out of the pattern, and if I need to cross the runway, look both ways for approaching / departing aircraft, and “boogie across”...... A local pilot came and chatted me up. He was there to log a couple hours for currency and asked if I wanted to come along. Said if I let him fly my drone he’d let me fly his Cessna. We went out for a 2 hour cruise and I got 30 mins stick time in cruise flight in his 172. Awesome day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mindbank and PatR
What screen gives you a warning about traffic in the area?
When you say your airspace, can you explain?

I Was being a sarcastic in the term my air space and filing a complaint. Now I can't remember if it was my DJI or the H. I'm pretty sure it was the H. About three minutes before I saw or heard the air liners I got a notice in red on the screen saying air traffic in my area. I lowered my alt. to 20 feet. Not knowing what was out there, then the plane appeared. I was taken back by this notification and landed shortly after. About 15 Min. later I decided to fly again. When I got the same notice on the screen. But figured I'd launch and just hover about 4 to 6 feet to burn up the battery. The bird wouldn't even allow start up, till after the air line cleared my area. Just a note. I have never seen air liners in this area and I have never seen air liners this low flying away from the airport. I was hazy and they appeared to be in a holding pattern. Like I said, I just packed up and left. I could only assume that my craft was reacting to a transponder on the Air Line.

I Was being a sarcastic in the term my air space and filing a complaint. Now I can't remember if it was my DJI or the H. I'm pretty sure it was the H. About three minutes before I saw or heard the air liners I got a notice in red on the screen saying air traffic in my area. I lowered my alt. to 20 feet. Not knowing what was out there, then the plane appeared. I was taken back by this notification and landed shortly after. About 15 Min. later I decided to fly again. When I got the same notice on the screen. But figured I'd launch and just hover about 4 to 6 feet to burn up the battery. The bird wouldn't even allow start up, till after the air line cleared my area. Just a note. I have never seen air liners in this area and I have never seen air liners this low flying away from the airport. I was hazy and they appeared to be in a holding pattern. Like I said, I just packed up and left. I could only assume that my craft was reacting to a transponder on the Air Line.

Wait. What?o_O

Last edited:
How often do you have these hallucinations?

Last edited:
I don't think it could be the H as 1030 and 1090 MHz are the transponder frequencies and (to the best of my knowledge) it doesn't handle these frequencies. I can't think of any other way that the H or ST16 could be aware of the aircraft.

Reactions: PatR and Ty Pilot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss