Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Rule of thirds questions

Reaction score
Is there no way to put up the grid?

Where is the same image boundary? Does the image go all the way under the HUD?

My composition is lacking. If there is no grid, then I need to know the boundaries so I can mark my screen protector.

I started using the litchi app, $25, which gives you the options I think your looking for. There are a couple free apps that overlay grids also, unless your trying to go macro.

I believe the grid was removed from the ST-16 during the second firmware upgrade release. It is not difficult to mentally divide an image into thirds. Also, the rule of thirds is not a hard and fast rule, it's just a reference baseline for general photography.

Double tap the ST-16 screen while recording to see the image boundaries. Double tap again to return to the data screen. Bear in mind that when post processing a DNG file you can crop ~20% and not lose too much resolution. That 20% is about what you see on the screen when the data panels are visible. Cropping a JPG 20% costs a lot more resolution since they are much smaller files to begin with.

Thanks, PatR. While it is not a hard and fast rule I rely on it heavily in still shots and I'm having a hard time adapting to the screen are boundaries on the ST16. I will try your tip today to see where that boundary is and then work out how to proceed.

I had always hoped they'd have the 9 block grid toggle on and off with a tap and allow the cross hairs to be user selectable in settings.

By double tapping, I have found out that the image does not go behind the HUD, but it shrinks to accommodate it.

I can even present an argument that a lot of today's commercial video for scenic shoots is in a 'rule of fifths' with the sky and horizon at the top fifth and the immersive immediate foreground folding around you in the 4/5'ths remaining. This seems predominate in the 16:9 ratio which allows the viewer to 'fall into' the shot. Mainly in the wider angle shots like our CGO3+. I think action shots and normal length lenses and longer the rule of thirds still 'rules'.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox