Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Scanning and mapping

Reaction score
Here are some results from using UAV Toolbox to scan a wood. This is quite a challenging environment as there are huge variations in elevation, and (as it was a windy day) a lot of movement of the things you're trying to measure.

I produced the model with a single pass, which means there are 'gaps' where the camera just didn't take photos from the right angle. You can also see a jump in the elevation of the field where successive passes had drifted. Doing a second pass at 90 degrees to the first should fix that sort of problem but wasn't practical at the time - I only had a small window for getting the job done.

However, the overall result is very satisfying. I actually think the point cloud is 'prettier', but haven't worked out the best way to share that online (yet).

Here's the model in Sketchfab Crucible Woods by tunauav - 3D model

And here's a Panorama of the area for comparison: Crucible Woods

Fabulous model - excellent work, Tuna. I would love to try this myself but am limited on recreational time. Can I ask how long you had to spend at the computer to go from original images to the 3D model?
Thanks for sharing your work.

Here are some results from using UAV Toolbox to scan a wood. This is quite a challenging environment as there are huge variations in elevation, and (as it was a windy day) a lot of movement of the things you're trying to measure.

I produced the model with a single pass, which means there are 'gaps' where the camera just didn't take photos from the right angle. You can also see a jump in the elevation of the field where successive passes had drifted. Doing a second pass at 90 degrees to the first should fix that sort of problem but wasn't practical at the time - I only had a small window for getting the job done.

However, the overall result is very satisfying. I actually think the point cloud is 'prettier', but haven't worked out the best way to share that online (yet).

Here's the model in Sketchfab Crucible Woods by tunauav - 3D model

And here's a Panorama of the area for comparison: Crucible Woods
Hi, new pilot here. Using the toolbox to do the flight are you taking the images manually or is that something that can be done via toolbox now?
Cheers Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VertCold22