Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Channel settings for Right Stick - ST16

Ty Pilot

One Hexy Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Website
copperdawg.com
In a previous thread there was a discussion about the Typhoon's tendency to stay locked on hover and be twitchy at slow speed. Thread Here. I mentioned that I had tried expo with mixed results but that I was using a broken line curve and really liked it. Others have tried and liked it as well so I made a quick video showing the way I set my controller up.

Pat

Wow! That is a great video. I knrw there must be a way to set up expos or rates like that. Thanks!

In a previous thread there was a discussion about the Typhoon's tendency to stay locked on hover and be twitchy at slow speed. Thread Here. I mentioned that I had tried expo with mixed results but that I was using a broken line curve and really liked it. Others have tried and liked it as well so I made a quick video showing the way I set my controller up.

Pat

Very cool!

I had noticed the 'behavior' but the thought hadn't even crossed my mind that a modification might be possible. I will attribute my lack of imagination simply as still being in the "learning the aircraft characteristics" versus "can I make it perform differently" phase.

Will definitely try this one out when I feel lucky!

Thanks Pat!

Jeff

Reactions: brig57
Thanks Pat! I will definitely try this out as soon as time permits. I have come from a RC fixed wing back ground and have come to rely on expo in almost every instance.

Thanks BillyTexas, NorwiscPilot and Edfly, yeah I also am a long time RC guy, and trimming the controls is pretty much the first thing most RC pilots I know - do with a new aircraft. I tend to compare it to buying a new car; before we even drive it off the lot, we've changed a multitude of seat settings, at least three mirrors, temperature control, set up some radio stations, maybe link our phone to the car radio and half a dozen other things. :DThese controls are there for this purpose I believe and one of the reasons I got this bird.
Pat

Last edited:
Reactions: iracer99
Great video Pat, thank you , I will have to give this a try and I look forward to any future videos you do. Clean crisp clear and very very easy to follow. One of the best informative videos I have seen!.

Maybe check with Tuna here on his ccc app, a video showing all what his app can do would be great. I have talked to him about doing one and as he gets caught up he was going to. His is working hard on adding more features to it for all of us.

Dean

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks BillyTexas, NorwiscPilot and Edfly, yeah I also am a long time RC guy, and trimming the controls is pretty much the first thing most RC pilots I know - do with a new aircraft. I tend to compare it to buying a new car; before we even drive it off the lot, we've changed a multitude of seat settings, at least three mirrors, temperature control, set up some radio stations, maybe link our phone to the car radio and half a dozen other things. :DThese controls are there for this purpose I believe and one of the reasons I got this bird.
Pat

Ditto!

I know the last time I had my RC stuff out, smart phones and tablets were still someone's pipe dream. The ST-16 just seemed to bring me back home, so to speak. Now... the integrated screen - can't say I didn't salivate just a little when I first saw it in between the sticks. :D

Great video Pat, thank you , I will have to give this a try and I look forward to any future videos you do. Clean crisp clear and very very easy to follow. One of the best informative videos I have seen!.

Maybe check with Tuna here on his ccc app, a video showing all what his app can do would be great. I have talked to him about doing one and as he gets caught up he was going to. His is working hard on adding more features to it for all of us.

Dean

Dean, I will check his new app out. thanks.

Ditto!

I know the last time I had my RC stuff out, smart phones and tablets were still someone's pipe dream. The ST-16 just seemed to bring me back home, so to speak. Now... the integrated screen - can't say I didn't salivate just a little when I first saw it in between the sticks. :D

I know right! The idea of strapping a huge phone or tablet on top of a controller - thats just wrong, phones belong on a night stand or perhaps a wall in the kitchen. :cool:

Pat

Pat,
Thank you very much for putting this together. Not only is the video very easy to follow, but the audio and the way you have put it together is excellent. I am sure this will be a very valuable resource for many other members. I'm also now subscribed to your YT channel.
I'm going to set up my ST16 over the weekend. The only difference I think I will have is that I fly Mode 1, so I'll have to make sure I use the correct channels for my mode.

PS: The suggestion above from Dean (Air One) is a very valid point. I was planning to help out with the video setup for the UAV Toolbox app, but your efforts would far outshine what I could do.

Thanks ArnhemAnt, I will take a look at his work. I know he was working on an updated version but I haven't really been following the progress with the new app. Will message him this evening.

Pat

Bravo, great job, short and luminously clear. Ty Pilot, thanks for sorting this out for us in such a clean and professional manner. This merits an Academy Award!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ArnhemAnt

Pat

Pat,

As previously mentioned, I decided today would be the day to "feel lucky". After a few days (more like a week or two) of winter saying she wasn't quite done yet, the sun finally returned. I could not resist taking out one of my H's and testing the broken line curve per your video.

Talk about a "yeah baby" moment. She is so smooth now; strap a spatula on her and she could frost a cake. (Wait, I'm still talking about my H, right?).

Thanks again for reminding some of us of the old tricks, and introducing many to a new trick. I am betting, once this "word" gets around, even more praises for the Typhoon series will be showering down.

Jeff

P.S. Oh, did I mention, for the benefit of those yet to try it... landing is even more a "piece of cake"!!!:D

P.P.S. Yes, it is another fabulous Friday!

Pat

this is just what i have been wating for great stuff

In my opinion (and that is all it is) . . . . I don't think so. It all comes down to your flying preference. When I first flew the H, I felt then, (and still now) that the yaw felt really good, it was not overly aggressive and one can start a yaw movement with no discernible jerking. I found that if I want to go out and fly in a sporting manner with the H flying nose forward (as at the end of the video), I needed (before the rate curve) all the rudder stick movement available; for about a quarter of the right stick's movement. As an old RC guy this did not feel right - to me. But it might feel right to the next guy, or you may think the rudder is too harsh in which case you could cut it back. Depends on personal taste but if you want to trim the rudder I would suggest a little at a time, fly and see if you like it. Good Flying.

Pat

Reactions: BillyTexas
Thanks for the video, I will try this in coming days.
Nevertheless I was thinking why this setup is not by default introduced from Yuneec ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwclarc1