Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Settings for aftermarket charger for Yuneec YUNH105 battery - discharge & charge

Reaction score
What are the settings I should be setting my aftermarket programmable charger to for the stock Yuneec H battery (YUNH105)? I'm planning to purchase a couple of new batteries shortly and was thinking about cycling them through a charger a couple of times (charge & balance rate \ discharge rate, etc). Also if anyone has any third party batteries & can provide the settings they are using for those I would be interested in that information as well.

Thanks!

And while it is useful to know good 'settings' it would also be beneficial to look for good 'practices' as in:

Do Not leave a LiPo fully charged for more than 24 hours
Do Not leave a LiPo fully discharged
Do Not charge at more than 1C or; whatever the pack is rated at
Always store the Pack at Storage level
Always let the battery have a rest/cooling period after use before charging or putting at storage level
Always monitor the charging/discharging and storage cycles to become familiar with times and characteristics as this will allow you to spot anomalies that could cause problems in the future or just determine the life cycle of a given type of pack.

There are many others, when you get a charger the front of the instruction booklet will be filled with such precautions but it is always good to know the 'why' about the given settings you use.

Reactions: Phaedrus
What charger are you getting? Ev Peak DY3 has no settings as such and others like it, Just charge, storage etc and voltage of cells.

What charger are you getting? Ev Peak DY3 has no settings as such and others like it, Just charge, storage etc and voltage of cells.

While he did not specify the charger he did indicate it was an aftermarket programmable charger.

FWIW I've been using the Turnigy QuadKore 300W/channel chargers the last few years. Been working great for me. I'm using the charge leads from CarolinaDronz to charge with.

I use an HTRC T240.

Balance Charge
Battery Cell: Auto (Detects 4s)
Charge Current: 5.0A
End Voltage: 4.20V/S

The “standard” settings are a 1C charge rate for the correct pack voltage and cell count. Only batteries specifically labelled as safe to charge at more than 1C should be charged at a rate higher than 1C, but no higher than the battery label specifies.

Reactions: Phaedrus
Even then I rarely ever charge above 1C. The higher charge rates are rough on packs. And I have found that 2C does not halve your charge time, reduces by about a 1/3rd. Treat your packs nice and they'll be nice to you!!

Reactions: PatR
I'm using a couple of chargers that i've used from my various other R/C hobbies. I'm fairly familiar with the LiPo precautions, but the Yuneec stock batteries aren't my favorites :( I've also used the Mavic Pro & really like the intelligence built into those batteries & unfortunately have to be more hands on when using my Typhoon H.

The 2 chargers i've used, Hyperion EOS0720i Net3AD (probably has more bells & whistles then I need for the Typhoon H) & a Hitec X4AC. I'm definetly not a battery expert, but was thinking that cycling the batteries would help 'excercise' the electrons to extend the lifespan of the packs. Definitely plan to always charge at 1C, but wasn't sure if discharging at 1C would simulate what the H does during normal flight & flights that push it a little.

Much appreciated for all the responses!

Reactions: Ty Pilot
LiPos are best stored in relatively low temperatures (40-45 degrees F), so a refrigerator is an excellent place for them. It's a good idea to still protect the stored batteries in case of fire, so I recommend placing the LiPos in a LiPo bag and putting the LiPo bag in the fridge. The fridge is not the only place for LiPos, though. Anywhere with low humidity and reasonable temperatures will suffice.
I think you'll find just as many people don't recommend that as do. But hey it's your batteries

I guess you have not been keeping up. Because I have read it here in more than a few occasions
11. Always store your LiPo batteries at room temperature. Do not store them in a hot garage, or in a cold refrigerator. Even though a cold battery has less chemical reaction taking place which can prolong its lifespan, taking a battery out from a cold fridge can cause condensation to occur on the inside of the battery, which can be very dangerous.
From one website.

FWIW - this is what Thunder Power, one of the leading lipo vendors world wide has to say:

From ThunderPower

Storage & Transportation

1) Store batteries at room temperature between 40 and 70 degrees F for best results

2) If storing longer than one week; batteries must be stored at 3.8V/cell to 3.9V/cell (approximately 50% charged). This is easily accomplished using our PowerLab 8, PowerLab 6, or CellPro 10XP charger.

3) Do not expose battery packs to direct sunlight (heat) for extended periods.

4) When transporting or temporarily storing in a vehicle, temperature ranges should be greater than 20 degrees F but no more than 150 degrees F.

5) Storing Lipo batteries at temperatures greater than 170 degrees F for extended periods of time (more than 2 hours) may cause damage to battery and possible fire.

The report stated they only tested 11 batteries, o_O and they didn't state what type or who the manufactures of these batteries were.:rolleyes:
So I don't consider this an absolute. 11 batteries? come on.

FWIW - this is what Thunder Power, one of the leading lipo vendors world wide has to say:

Wow! Who has a “room temperature” of 40? An igloo?

Okay folks, just caught up with this guy and he is gone along with his comments.
When a member starts this kind of flaming and trolling please use the report option so a mod can intervene. It's really difficult to keep up with all of the threads.
Sorry I didn't catch this sooner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop