Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Shooting Cell Towers

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's any issues shooting cell towers close up? Just wondering about the massive amount of radio waves coming off them. Can they interfere with the H's radio frequencies? I know they are very different frequencies (I think) but hi powered waves can interfere with other radios on different frequencies if one is extremely powerful.

I'd like to hear from some guys that have made a living inspecting towers. Some techniques on getting close, getting detailed shots, what kinds of details the client is in need of, etc. I know that in a lot of tower inspections an engineer will be on site to supervise and power down the tower, so the freq. shouldn't matter.

I'd like to hear from some guys that have made a living inspecting towers. Some techniques on getting close, getting detailed shots, what kinds of details the client is in need of, etc. I know that in a lot of tower inspections an engineer will be on site to supervise and power down the tower, so the freq. shouldn't matter.

Use POI. my neighbor mentioned just about everything on the tower needs to be inspected even the clamps bolts and so on, and how much bird crap.:eek:

Does anyone know if there's any issues shooting cell towers close up? Just wondering about the massive amount of radio waves coming off them. Can they interfere with the H's radio frequencies? I know they are very different frequencies (I think) but hi powered waves can interfere with other radios on different frequencies if one is extremely powerful.
Hi Manny, I've seen alot of vids from drones flyiing up and around cell towers and never seen any comments of interference.
But you should ask or tell the owner of the tower first. Imagine you fly into an antenna.. Quite expensiv...

I was just giving the OP something to think about. I really have no idea if you would be breaking the law flying around one for fun but I know "Critical Infrastructure" has become a big topic in the UAV Mags, forums and UAV Legal News & Discussion pages on facebook so I thought I would throw it out there.

Never had a minutes problem with cell tower inspections. Directly in front of the sectors or not.

Friend of mine does this kind of work with high end systems. He uses a Phantom to test for interference before the bigger stuff goes up. Cheaper to lose the Phantom.

You would think that an H is no good for tower inspections due to no opti zoom.

Don't shoot towers I like my cell coverage!
It really shouldn't matter that much unless you get straight on with the antennas most cellphones use 800 - 900 MHz and 1.8 - 1.9 GHz as a frequencies (not saying there isn't bleed) your frequency hopping transmitter should adjust accordingly.

I know they use different frequencies than the TH and that some pilots are reporting no problems with them but, IMHO, I'll still treat them with caution and stay clear. I have in the past, though, flown close to power lines and not had a problem.

You would think that an H is no good for tower inspections due to no opti zoom.

You don't need a variable focal length lens length to shoot good photos. Gauge you distance, use higher resolution image settings, set up the camera well, and take pictures. The video that starts this thread is probably one of the worst examples of an inspection video I've ever seen. The orbit speed is way to fast to be useful. I say this not to pick on the video, but to use it as something to learn from. Slow down, take your time, get a good shot the first time.

If you shoot high resolution images from a reasonable distance and with good lighting and color balance there is a tremendous amount of info to be had using an H and fixed length lens.

You don't need a variable focal length lens length to shoot good photos. Gauge you distance, use higher resolution image settings, set up the camera well, and take pictures. The video that starts this thread is probably one of the worst examples of an inspection video I've ever seen. The orbit speed is way to fast to be useful. I say this not to pick on the video, but to use it as something to learn from. Slow down, take your time, get a good shot the first time.

If you shoot high resolution images from a reasonable distance and with good lighting and color balance there is a tremendous amount of info to be had using an H and fixed length lens.
I concur! High resolution stills can be zoomed in to over 200% and you can achieve some amazing detail.

I agree with those facts about hi-res photos, but to make a living shooting towers I think I would move up to some industrial platform with more camera choices as fast as possible.

Reactions: Flymac

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval