Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Should I Update My Firmware?

Reaction score
Question, Should I update to the last firmware update if my Typhoon H is flying Great? I really don't want to touch it. Didn't Yuneec say it will update automatically?

Question, Should I update to the last firmware update if my Typhoon H is flying Great? I really don't want to touch it. Didn't Yuneec say it will update automatically?

It will not auto update. But you can now check for update from the settings menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decide if what you have is adequate for your needs. If everything functions correctly, it operates safely, and you are happy with what you have, there's little to be gained with an upgrade that was developed to improve functionality instead of correcting issues or deficiencies. Any upgrade developed to correct a problem should of course be installed to assure the safety of you and the public.

OTOH, if there are features and functionality to be had a a firmware update that you think you may want then an update is in order. A piece of cautionary advice; Before performing an update read all there is to be read about it at the Yuneec site. Read the PDF's describing the update and potentially new control functions in order to understand what you will be dealing with before having to deal with it. If there are specific instructions to be followed, be sure to follow them exactly. If there are instructional videos that can be viewed, take the time to watch them and have them available as you perform the update. Once the update is done, perform every calibration possible for the H.

Far too many perform an update in a manner that might best be described as half-assed. They don't read or follow the instructions, they leave steps out that are critical, they don't review posted videos demonstrating how to install an upgrade, create their own problems, and then post in forums like this about how their H or ST-16 is screwed up. They don't like to mention they know they executed the process wrong because it's a lot more comfortable to blame a product that to take any of the heat themselves. I suppose saying take the time to do it right might cover things as well.

Reactions: Flymac and Smokdup
I always choose to update firmware. The latest release comes with some great additional functions that bring the H up to PAR with the likes of DJI & Autel (spot metering for example). The added bonus is the H can now (with the latest software) check for firmware and update over wifi now.

As always, and to echo PatR, follow the video tutorial from Yuneec! Have the video on hand and follow step by step, maybe watch it through until you are happy with the process and you know what to expect from each step. Importantly, be patient! Let the system do it's thing.

See if you need any of the news features. The latest firmware had the Panorama photos feature. An awesome feature. Firmware updates to any kind of hardware I have make me a little nervous. There's always the chance of bricking. I have the habit of updating software and hardware. Because they have bug fixes and new feature. Once a while something bad is introduced. Either I look for a workaround or rollback. I report the failure and hope the newer version fixes it... and repeat the cycle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace