Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Shutter Distortion?

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I'm seeing here. Image 105, shot from the corner looks true to the subject. Image 112 on the other hand does not. The peak of the rafter line should be in the middle of the structure as it appears in 105. As a professional photographer of 30 years, I have worked with all kinds of lenses and cameras. I have never seen anything like this. However, all the cameras I have ever shot have had a mechanical shutter. Is this the result of a rolling shutter? I believe that is what I have heard these non-mechanical shutters called. I realize that anytime you are not perfectly center to your subject which I was not here, some distortion will occur to varying degrees depending on the lens used, but this something I have never seen. Can anyone explain what is going on here?

Attachments

• YUN00105.jpg
    YUN00105.jpg
    790.3 KB · Views: 31
  • YUN00112.jpg
    YUN00112.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 31
Your lens and shutter are fine. This is a fun exercise with an optical illusion. The peak of the roof is indeed offset to the right. There are 7 columns, with the 4th being centered. However the peak of the roof is not centered over the 4th, it is centered between the 4th and the 5th. If you study the two photos with this in mind the illusion will become apparent.

Last edited:
To me it appears the center of the roof is, in fact, offset. I count more horizontal roof members on the left than on the right.

Last edited:
Your lens and shutter are fine. This is a fun exercise with an optical illusion. The peak of the roof is indeed offset to the right. There are 7 columns, with the 4th being centered. However the peak of the roof is not centered over the 4th, it is centered between the 4th and the 5th. If you study the two photos with this in mind the illusion will become apparent.

Good eye DCH, being in the building trades I caught that as soon as I did a flip between the photos.

Reactions: DCH
Sorry guys! My pride is still stinging over this one! ? From the ground I never saw this offset. Was astonished to see it from the air. I promise to be more thorough in my future problem solving.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Yep, it happens, now go out and drink a few beers, and you'll be more amazed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430