Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Simple solution to battery falling out during flight

Reaction score
There seems to be repeated threads of the H falling out of the sky and the culprit may possibly be the battery was not inserted fully and did not 'click' into the locked positon. I have had this occur - but was saved by this simple solution with Velcro. In my case, I removed the Velcro and the battery slide out as I picked up the H after landing. I believe the battery would have slide out during the flight if not for the Velcro with the result being the H in the Pacific ocean.

As a side note, all the prior kit drones I have built Velcro was used as the primary method to hold the battery; this includes heavier 4S and 6S batteries without failure.

This is a bit crude, but is very effective. I can pick up the drone by the battery tab without the battery in the clicked position and carry the H around.
typhoonh-stopbatteryfalling.jpg

Reactions: Rayray
There seems to be repeated threads of the H falling out of the sky and the culprit may possibly be the battery was not inserted fully and did not 'click' into the locked positon. I have had this occur - but was saved by this simple solution with Velcro. In my case, I removed the Velcro and the battery slide out as I picked up the H after landing. I believe the battery would have slide out during the flight if not for the Velcro with the result being the H in the Pacific ocean.

As a side note, all the prior kit drones I have built Velcro was used as the primary method to hold the battery; this includes heavier 4S and 6S batteries without failure.

This is a bit crude, but is very effective. I can pick up the drone by the battery tab without the battery in the clicked position and carry the H around.
View attachment 6364
Ok, but I have never heard/read about a case where the battery has fallen out if you really " click" it!

I agree about if you really click it. But this is not a bad idea even if it reminds you to really click it.

A strip of gaff tape would be just as effective and remains sticky enough to do the job after dozens of peelings/re-applications. I re-use it all the time in my rock band job and even dirt and dust don't bother it too bad.

Indeed, but we can pick up a pack of adhesive backed Velcro at any WalMart or fabric store a lot cheaper:)

Like the OP I've used Velcro for battery retention for every multirotor that did not have a more secure retention method. I don't use it for the H but anything that causes users to be safer and more successful with their flight activities is a good thing, be it gaff tape, Velcro, or something else.

For those not adequately familiar with how the battery latch works, take a moment to do a couple things. Look at the upper aft end of the battery. With the end latch laying flat on the battery you will see a triangular "wedge" sticking up from the battery. Now raise and lower the release latch while watching that wedge. The wedge lowers when the latch handle is lifted. Pushing the latch handle back flat to the battery raises the wedge. The aft vertical face of the wedge is the lock that secures the battery in the H. The lock can "click" only if the wedge was in the elevated position when the battery is inserted. You can insert the battery with the latch handle raised and lower the latch handle after insertion but you will never hear the wedge click into position that way.

Now, push the battery as far into the H as it will go and listen for the "click". Look at how the battery fits against the body of the H. Note there is no space between the end of the battery and the body of the H. Remove the battery and re-install it, but don't push it all the way in. You'll find you can insert the battery and feel resistance but not have the battery fully seated. This happens because the wedge generated resistance as it is pushed down during battery insertion. Do this a few times to test the various levels of resistance generated by the locking wedge being depressed as it passes under the edge of the H body. Look at the small gap that will be present between the battery shell and the body of the H before it "clicks" in place. That gap, in any amount, tells you the battery is not fully seated and locked in place. If the latch handle is not laying flat on the end of the battery, the battery should be considered as not locked in place.

Make an aural and visual battery inspection part of your pre-flight process. It only takes a moment. If you don't hear a click when inserting a battery, perform a triple check. Remove the battery and re-install it, making sure it is locked in place. After that, apply any secondary methods of security you developed to secure the battery, but only after assuring the battery locked in place with the locking wedge.

Happy flying!

Last edited:
I think gaff tape is cheap. For a drone pilot and acro drone hobbyist, a $20 roll is a lifetime supply. As a touring musician, I never go anywhere without it and I use ti for everything I can.

I certainly don't disagree but most will grab velcro when they see it in a store instead of placing an order for gaff tape. Two things about people are absolute; they frequently buy on impulse and they will use what they are already familiar with faster than they will try something new to them.

I certainly don't disagree but most will grab velcro when they see it in a store instead of placing an order for gaff tape. Two things about people are absolute; they frequently buy on impulse and they will use what they are already familiar with faster than they will try something new to them.
Or simply follow my best practice for Typhoon H battery on youtube....

Good video.
Here's my problem. Maybe I should start a thread on it.
My "handle"that is used to remove the battery simply snapped off!!!!! I'm not a nubie. Been flying for years. The locking tab still works and is firmly in place. But the cheap,or should I say,this plastic used simply broke. I have a small set of needle-nosed picket plyers that I now have to use to remove my battery.
Anyone else?Any ideas?
Btw,used quad. No warranty.

Good video.
Here's my problem. Maybe I should start a thread on it.
My "handle"that is used to remove the battery simply snapped off!!!!! I'm not a nubie. Been flying for years. The locking tab still works and is firmly in place. But the cheap,or should I say,this plastic used simply broke. I have a small set of needle-nosed picket plyers that I now have to use to remove my battery.
Anyone else?Any ideas?
Btw,used quad. No warranty.
I guess I also need to proof read!!!! Lol autospurl is my wurst enima.!!!

I can understand that the battery "door" could break if it is pulled upwards as you are removing the battery. If you are careful to only pull outward, the hinge should be strong enough. I've pulled batteries out of my H dozens of times without an issue. I would chalk it up to maybe a one time incident and just keep using that battery until it's done.

The magazines on the AR-15/M-16/M-4 have a similar problem where they might not seat when inserted (a bad thing when in active combat).

Solution is to give the butt of the magazine a light smack with the heel of your hand to ensure it's seated, and a tug to double check it if needed. It becomes second nature fast enough that you don't even have to think about it, you just do it.

Seems to me that getting into this habit with the Typhoon H battery might be the best way to ensure it's seated properly and is secure. Better than using kludges and workarounds that complicate the process and can fail themselves and have the potential to create other problems.

Just an idea...

I think that is a good idea but may not need as much Velcro. I think it will help in reminding everyone to make sure they feel the click first and then Velcro. Worth the effort!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech