Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

So,,,, This also happened,,,,

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed if their drone attracts wasps or hornets?
When returning from a flight yesterday, I noticed maybe 8 to 12 wasps had followed my drone home.
I wouldn't think any thing of it except that this is the second time I have noticed this. Previously they followed my Mavic home as well.
I was flying at around 180' and fast and I noticed something kept flickering in front of my lens. When I got back I had a half dozen or so large wasps buzzing around my drone.
Does the sound of the done get them excited?
Anyone on this?

Reactions: Steve Edwards
Perhaps the shell is sticky and they can smell it, never had that problem, plenty of entrails on the props though.

We have the same thing happen on Cell Towers. Wasps and Hornets love the RF coming off the antennas. Gets them high.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Irish
I had to do a reshoot once....didn’t see it until post, and it was barely noticeable, but to me ruined the shot.....nice mid air WHACK with a spray of bug parts....right in the middle of the shot.

Has anyone noticed if their drone attracts wasps or hornets?
When returning from a flight yesterday, I noticed maybe 8 to 12 wasps had followed my drone home.
I wouldn't think any thing of it except that this is the second time I have noticed this. Previously they followed my Mavic home as well.
I was flying at around 180' and fast and I noticed something kept flickering in front of my lens. When I got back I had a half dozen or so large wasps buzzing around my drone.
Does the sound of the done get them excited?
Anyone on this?
Here is a video when my drone was attacked.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I was doing some research on a purchase of a particular drone a while back and started to run across a bunch of video's on youtube of bees swarming drones, once one of them gets swacked it emits pheromones that signal the rest to attack.
Just go to youtube and in the search box enter "bee attacts on drones"

Pretty sure they're not attracted to them when they're airborne, not from vibration or sound emission but the drone at altitude might fly though a swarm on the move and then they attack the intruder and follow it to it's eventual demise on the ground.

Then once the drone is down and at rest they fly off back to their original task.

I've had a few battles with bee swarms in the past, mean little buggers, bought a bee suit to clear hives at building and remodeling projects a few years back, best $30 I ever spent.

Don't get me wrong here, I know how important it is that bees survive, without them our ecosystem will die, I don't go out of my way to do them harm, but a word of warning to those that aren't familiar with them,
don't piss them off,,,,,,,

Last edited:
My brother and a cousin were bee keepers. One of the more scary moments in my life was when he told me I could put my bare hand in a hive without risk if I moved slow and gentile. Another was when my cousin told me I could reach inside a swarm in a grape vine to remove the queen without a protective suit as the swarm was more concerned about mating with the new queen following her instead of protecting the hive. They were right. Not something I would do every day though.

With all the flowers at my place I’ve learned if I don’t bother them they won’t bother me. Just don’t wear fuzzy socks. If you do all bets are off.

Watkins made a good point about the pheromones, maybe i'm wacking a few of them from a nearby nest. Although I am under the impression that they may not be Honey bees. Now that this is a topic, I will try to determine what type of insect we are talking about when I fly later today.
F.Y.I. Honey bees are probably the most beneficial animal we have on this planet. Every thing they said in the movies "Bees" is true, everything except about that talking and seducing a human bit...
And its true. When the Bees are in swarm mode, you can actually place your hand inside a ball of 10,000 bees without getting stung. When I did it once, I noticed how much warmth they generate.
But I think it's actually a bunch of a##hole wasps. I will report back later today with my findings.

Ya know what might be kinda fun,,,,,,,,
I have a small black HolyStone HS200, when flying it around at local fields there are a lot of "dog walkers" and "just get out of the house and go for a walk" types

Maybe some yellow paint,,,,,,,,,,?
Bright LED's for eye's,,,,,,,,

Fly by fast enough,,,,,,,,,

Oh, and yo'all can call me Mike,,,,,,,,,,

On second thought, it's not nice to fool around with Mother Nature,,,,,,,,,,

I hate it when this happen's,,,,,
The gears get to rollin',,,,,,

a few more landing legs & antenna of big black pipe cleaners,,,,,,,,,,

The HS200 takes the batteries in from underneath, no camera, or prop guards on this bird, just a small sport flyer,

Elongate the tail a bit with styrofoam or a TP cardboard roll colored black,
Yellow tape strips,

Doesn't have to be accurate, just the silhouette will do the trick........

Color scheme of a wasp,,,,,,

They're called "Drones", right?

Last edited:
Disturb any type of hornet and be prepared. They are as mean or meaner as an ex-wife looking for more alimony...

Hence the phrase “Madder than a hornet”.....

I have to deal with Yellow Jackets every year. Thank God for those spray cans that shoot a stream 30+’ and put those guys down instantly. Get stung by one of those little $#!%@#& and it hurts for hours, even with a baking soda pack.

I hate it when this happen's,,,,,
The gears get to rollin',,,,,,

a few more landing legs & antenna of big black pipe cleaners,,,,,,,,,,

The HS200 takes the batteries in from underneath, no camera, or prop guards on this bird, just a small sport flyer,

Elongate the tail a bit with styrofoam or a TP cardboard roll colored black,
Yellow tape strips,

Doesn't have to be accurate, just the silhouette will do the trick........

Color scheme of a wasp,,,,,,

They're called "Drones", right?

Sounds like it would be about the size of an Iraqi yellow striped hornet. Don’t ever, absolutely never, pi$$ one off[emoji50][emoji43]

I have way too much time on my hands,,,,,,,

Today is the day I planned on checking my Q500 4k out, bought it used on CL but the Tx battery was dead.
Ordered replacement's for it and they arrived so now comes the charge one up and start learning how this quad works, I know the camera is working, had enough of a charge in one of the Tx packs, 4%, to at least fire it up and move the camera, also got a bit of a WiFi link up and there's a view from it.

So later today I'll get out to a craft store for the hairy legs,,,, large black pipe cleaners & yellow vinal tape, already have the TP tube.

When it's together I'll post a pic,,,,,,,,,,

Starting to wonder if the large silhouette of the bee will attract bees,,,,,,,,,,
This little idea may take big backfire of intended results,,,,,,,,,,,

• Love
Reactions: Mike Irish

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz