Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

SOLVED: Typhoon H Pro (Realsense) Flyaway

Reaction score
Had a problem today with my drone. I flew yesterday no problems and calibrated my compass because I drove from Seattle -> California. The second day I took off it told me to land immediately and was getting a compass calibration error on the ST16 controller; so I did and recalibrated. Took off and started out at around 400 feet of altitude and after a period of time about 1/4 mile away I hit the return to home and the drone did not respond and continued away from me. I then flipped it between angle and smart and continued to flyaway. I then hit return to home again and nothing and then back to angle. I then took to the sticks and regained control and then hit return to home and it flew home and it started to fly back. Attached is the log that shows a error 32 (Think thats compass). Any ideas guys?

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
Took off and started out at around 400 feet of altitude and after a period of time about 1/4 mile away I hit the return to home and the drone did not respond and continued away from me.

Sorry, this is not correct.
20161225 21:02:08:874 you start RTH
20161225 21:02:14:XXX your drone starts to come back

but, the drone does not move away

Last edited:
Reactions: JKru
Sorry, this is not correct.
20161225 21:02:08:874 you start RTH
20161225 21:14:XX:XXX your drone starts to come back

but, the drone does not move away

Does it sometimes take that long to respond to RTH? Why was I getting those compass errors during flight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it sometimes take that long to respond to RTH? Why was I getting those compass errors during flight?

Possible, I do not know, cause I do not use this function, if you had enabed Realsense on your flight, I think this can be the reason for the delay.
Normaly when you are using RTH the copter flys @ 30 miles/h, your flight was @ 7miles/h much to slow. Only at the half back the copter runs
up to his max. speed. Each time you tried using Angle-Mode, the copter stopped before it goes back to speed up in RTH-Mode.

What was your idea with this flight ? Was it really in the night ?

I can only guess what you did ....
You have started your copter, lifted it up and carry around. No good idead.
When you calibreate your copter it has to be done in a neutral area.
You got a long compas warning after you have startet the motors.
At this moment, you should not go in the air.

I advise not flying until you can contact Yuneec. They won't be back in the office until after the new year.

Possible, I do not know, cause I do not use this function, if you had enabed Realsense on your flight, I think this can be the reason for the delay.
Normaly when you are using RTH the copter flys @ 30 miles/h, your flight was @ 7miles/h much to slow. Only at the half back the copter runs
up to his max. speed. Each time you tried using Angle-Mode, the copter stopped before it goes back to speed up in RTH-Mode.

Flight was at night and and the 7MPH is fine I had the Intel Realsense turned on (little windy too). Recalibration was done in a neutral area sorta.. Large parking lot probably cloud have been better. I think there was a lot of interference in the area as my friends autel video was dropping out at shorter range.

Ok let me study a little more. Just to be clear the compass error on the first flight I was notified on the ST16 and landed immediately and recalibrated. This second flight no notification. Really appreciate all your help learning a lot here.

I advise not flying until you can contact Yuneec. They won't be back in the office until after the new year.

Yes might be wise.I think I will wait for a more open area as well.

Flight was at night and and the 7MPH is fine I had the Intel Realsense turned on (little windy too). Recalibration was done in a neutral area sorta.. Large parking lot probably cloud have been better. I think there was a lot of interference in the area as my friends autel video was dropping out at shorter range.

Ok let me study a little more. Just to be clear the compass error on the first flight I was notified on the ST16 and landed immediately and recalibrated. This second flight no notification. Really appreciate all your help learning a lot here.

Realsense @ 120m height :confused:

Try your flight without realsense and I think your delay problem with RTH is gone ;)

If you like to fly slow, use the turtle-mode

Don't forget that the RTH spins the drone around and that can confuse your eye on which way it's heading. It will also change altitude depending on where that is set. When I had my fly away that made me realize I did need another round of warranty service, I had uncontrollable spinning (always angle for me) that from the ground I could not tell what the **** was happening other than I had lost control of yaw and only had elevator as far as I can tell in that moment. I've learned up is always better than any other move as you can see your lights and prevent collisions and often times get back a GPS lock if lost. Also, the ST 16 has the arrow that basically is telling you which way to move the right stick to get the H moving back towards you. In a panic, it's hard to look at the controller as you are so focused on what appears to be a fly away but that could be your stick inputs being disoriented. Study what happened, look at your video, do not just assume you had no role in this loss of control. I'm not saying you may not have had a problem from the H as well but take this opportunity to understand why and how it happened and what you could have done to prevent it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Realsense @ 120m height :confused:

Try your flight without realsense and I think your delay problem with RTH is gone ;)

If you like to fly slow, use the turtle-mode

Ok my thinking (maybe incorrect) was if something happened I lost control it was a added safety feature when crashing lol :)

Ok my thinking (maybe incorrect) was if something happened I lost control it was a added safety feature when crashing lol :)

Wrong, if you lost controll of compass and/or gps data you can not use RTH.
When the copter lost his correct gps and compass data THEN you get a flyaway.

RTH only works correct when the copter has no problem, it is not your safety-system

Thanks for everyone who responded. I will recalibrate and try again in a more open place with everything in mind. I'll check the logs and if I continue to get compass errors I'll post here again.

Thanks for everyone who responded. I will recalibrate and try again in a more open place with everything in mind. I'll check the logs and if I continue to get compass errors I'll post here again.

Spin it slowly. It gathers data better and start facing magnetic north. Keep you phone away from it during calibration. Do it more than once in same spot. You'll know you got it right because GPS lock happens very quickly when the compass is happy.

Spin it slowly. It gathers data better and start facing magnetic north. Keep you phone away from it during calibration. Do it more than once in same spot. You'll know you got it right because GPS lock happens very quickly when the compass is happy.

VERY useful info... thank you..

Also could someone point me to a blog or thread on how to interpret the logs and what all the flags and error codes mean?

You got a lot of great feedback here. Our members are the best.
I think you mentioned calibrating on concrete. If so, it might be better to NOT do compass calibrations over concrete.

You got a lot of great feedback here. Our members are the best.
I think you mentioned calibrating on concrete. If so, it might be better to NOT do compass calibrations over concrete.

I did calibrate over concrete. Thank you I'll recal in a field. Very much appreciated.

Reactions: Badlands
Being the obsessed nut case I am I finally figured out what happened. CraigCam was right; I got confused. I was distracted on the ground when I hit RTH and when I looked back it was already coming home. It was flying towards me when I started to try "to regain control" if this drone had intelligence it would have called me a idiot.. ;). It was clear in the logs it was already coming back when I started to "panic".

Lesson: Stop and think and altitude is your friend you have time; don't panic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval