Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some questions from beginneer :)

Reaction score
Hello All

i am a happy user of a H520 but i cannot find somea answers to my questions
(very simple i guess) but prefer to verify twice to not make mistakes:

I own a H520 and a E90

1/ i have a bag pack YUNEEC for transportation can i leave the camera on the drone? is it secure to walk with the E90 mounted on the H520 and in the bagpack?
or i need to pull out camera and leave it in the original camera box (separately)
i need to go in mountain, so 5 hours walking, alt; 1800m, so i prefer to be sure that movements will not damage the E90 ;)

2/ i realized that the SD card is formatted on FAT32 and not exFAT
meaning that before 4GB of the video, it creates a new video (i can shoot one long time video, for the time of the battery)
can i format it in exFAT to have not anymore the capacity limitation of 4GB per video?

3/ i tried to manage the drone by tap on screen, the problem that on 2 places in japan (where i tried) the google map and the bing map didn't appear (the drone was connected and turned on of course): maybe it is a mistake from my side or a bug known that i need to consider?

4/ i try to see if i can modifiy the acceleration of each joystick and having smooth movements (gimbal included)
unfortunatelly compared tot he typhoon H and the ST16, i cannot find the part where i can modify those parameters (i only found calibration)

5/ i bought a Polarized filter, i will use white balance locked, but concerning exposure and shutter speed do i need manage them with Polarized filter?
i guess shutter speed to 1/120 could be ok but not sure

I join a tiny video of my 1st shooting, as a test: tons for things need to be modified and i need to still learn how to control the "tiny monster"
but so far it is pretty easy and awesome result: OoB and shooting 4k@60fps raw

thx to the community

Reactions: plissken
1/ i have a bag pack YUNEEC for transportation can i leave the camera on the drone? is it secure to walk with the E90 mounted on the H520 and in the bagpack?
or i need to pull out camera and leave it in the original camera box (separately)
i need to go in mountain, so 5 hours walking, alt; 1800m, so i prefer to be sure that movements will not damage the E90 ;)

It is preferable not to have the camera mounted on the H520 while you are not using it. When you go to use it you mount it and you can carry it in your backpack, no problem. When you're done using it and you're not going to use it, you take it down. It is a recommendation of the comments of users who have left it on for a long time and produces unnecessary stretching of the dumpers. That's the way I do it at least.

2/ i realized that the SD card is formatted on FAT32 and not exFAT
meaning that before 4GB of the video, it creates a new video (i can shoot one long time video, for the time of the battery)
can i format it in exFAT to have not anymore the capacity limitation of 4GB per video?

To avoid problems, format the SD card with the camera's own application. You have the option in settings. Depending on the resolution and the framerate will make you more or less file cuts. It's normal. With any video editor you can then join those parts together.

3/ i tried to manage the drone by tap on screen, the problem that on 2 places in japan (where i tried) the google map and the bing map didn't appear (the drone was connected and turned on of course): maybe it is a mistake from my side or a bug known that i need to consider?

What I do, either at home or in the office, is download offline the maps of the areas where I am going to fly. You can also do it in the field but it is easier to do it without being connected to the H520. You can establish a data connection via mobile phone and tethering.

4/ i try to see if i can modifiy the acceleration of each joystick and having smooth movements (gimbal included)
unfortunatelly compared tot he typhoon H and the ST16, i cannot find the part where i can modify those parameters (i only found calibration)

This capacity has already been ordered several times, for the time being it is not available on the H520. Let's hope that with some update we will have it.

5/ i bought a Polarized filter, i will use white balance locked, but concerning exposure and shutter speed do i need manage them with Polarized filter?
i guess shutter speed to 1/120 could be ok but not sure

You have to use the media rule (now I don't remember what it's called exactly). The shutter speed has to be the "double" of the framerate. If you record at 30 fps then 60, if you record at 60 fps then 120. Here we have some great photographers who can answer this question better than I can.

I join a tiny video of my 1st shooting, as a test: tons for things need to be modified and i need to still learn how to control the "tiny monster"
but so far it is pretty easy and awesome result: OoB and shooting 4k@60fps raw

Nice combination of buildings and forest. At this time of year the colors of the forest are beautiful. Well done.;)

In response to question one and contrary to what Arruntus said, a little trick.
As it is tedious to mount and dismount the camera each time, and to avoid in the long run to wear the contacts, I put in the bag a hard foam wedge under the camera and after several tests, we come to the right height. This keeps the camera flat and up the dumpers so they are a little compressed and do not hang. To make several tests of height, once the good height found, to stick the wedge in mouuse with a double-face for more than it moves.

Reactions: NRHK and arruntus
But don't keep those good ideas to yourself :mad::mad::mad: :p:p:p

I like it better than what I do.

Reactions: NRHK
thanks to both of you
So will try to manage to not stress the dumpers with add-ons foam (thx for this)
and also understood that for ONE day shooting moving in mountain, camera mounted on the H520 and everything in the bag it is perfect

For the video: in japan it is pretty common to see this :)
i am going tomorrow on a place named OMINE san-ji (this is where i need to walk more than 5 hours)
i join some pictures (found on the net)
no one shot with high quality drone there, so pretty happy that the temple on the top of the mountain accepted it
and much more when they allow me to shoot when no one is there (before the opening door)

i will also make photogrametry 3D with the drone and with DSLR and laser

The-practice-of-Nishi-no-Nozaki-in-Mt.-Omine-in-Nara-Japan.jpg Nara,_mount_Omine_2005.jpg 31070857_557326167985658_1825107096434114560_n.jpg 31059604_557245977993677_5535969740805111808_n.jpg 31081496_557325971319011_8011731835321057280_n.jpg 30704911_557246997993575_8120226737897340928_n.jpg Omine-santrailwithsteles-Copy.jpg Omine-sanstelesliningtheroute-Copy.jpg

display-walk.asp

Last edited:
Reactions: arruntus
Another tiny question concerning calibration

if i am right:

1/ gimbal calibration: ONLY if i modify the filter (weight is different so i make it), nothing related to where i am flying

2/ for the 2 others (compass and accelometer): ALWAYS before the flight to be sure that everything is correct

As i make intervention in high school and junior high school, to interest the young generation, all my tools have names of folklore (monsters, ghosts etc etc)
the drone is NUKEKUBI 抜首 a female vampire who can let her head go away in the air

nukekubi.jpg nukekubi ukiyo e.jpg

1/ gimbal calibration: ONLY if i modify the filter (weight is different so i make it), nothing related to where i am flying

This is very relative and I think personal preference. You're right when you say that putting in a filter changes the weight and it would be necessary. If we take into account that almost all the gimbals with built-in commercial cameras, as is the case, are not calibrated from the factory, and are self-calibrated by the force of the motors instead of by their own weight which is as it should be, I would not attach importance to it. You put the filter on and turn on the aircraft, and it will self-calibrate, if the difference in weight is not excessive of course.

2/ for the 2 others (compass and accelometer): ALWAYS before the flight to be sure that everything is correct

No. In principle you only need to calibrate the compass when you fly at a certain distance from the last location where you did it. In the USA they talk about 5 miles (which I think is very little) and in Europe they talk about 50km (which is a more reasonable distance). For Japan I don't know what the distance might be. I do it, it takes 1 minute, when I go more than 30km in a straight line from the last point where I did it. Be careful with high voltage networks or areas where there may be interference from iron structures or the like. The accelerometer and other sensors are only calibrated after an update or when something goes wrong.

As i make intervention in high school and junior high school, to interest the young generation, all my tools have names of folklore (monsters, ghosts etc etc)
the drone is NUKEKUBI 抜首 a female vampire who can let her head go away in the air

:D

I keep my camera on a drone when I pack in my backpack. I would love to take it off but there is no place for it in yuneec original stock foam for H520. You just need to keep watching the camera position before you put your drone into the foam. I do not remember now but it is more likely to be pointed towards the back you h520.

And for using a filter I guess it would be a good idea to balance a camera with something the same weight as the filter placed at the back of it(something like a small coin attached to it with a double sided tape). It will keep the camera balanced and remove any undesirable stress on its gimbal motors.

So far everything is perfect concerning my shooting, i just need to get used

but a problem i cannot solve concerning hte time of a video
i formatted the SD card on ExFAT directly from the drone but at every 5 minutes the drone creates new video
as arruntus said it could be not a problem as it ill be esay to solve to join each video
but yes it doesnt work if you move at the same time that the video is cuted
i mean when the video 1 is finish and the second one starts there is 1 second between (it is not perfect)
and so when i try to join them on FCPX you cannot cause there is ONE second between the 2 videos which is missing so the movement is not smooth
i guess there is an option but i dont know where

if someone has the solution concerning filming more than 5 minutes in once ;)

for the camera mounted on the H520 in the foam it is PERFECT
it is just tricky to put the camera perfectly flat when you introduce the H520
what i am doing it is turning on the H520 when the gimbal is on, i intoduce the drone very carefully and when the camera is pretty close to the foam i turn off to the camera is perfectly in position for transportation :D

here a new test strangely the camera is not stable but on the others films i did after the camera is very stable (pretty strange)
anyway it is Yoshino
i filmed with a polarized filter, 4k@60fps, white: lock, shuter 1/125, iso 100
i didnt touch the quality and colors, i just added a fade in and out and my logo

Last edited:
it doesnt work if you move at the same time that the video is cuted
i mean when the video 1 is finish and the second one starts there is 1 second between (it is not perfect)

I imagine you mean when you play the video without having used a video editor and joined the different videos together. I recommend you use the latest version of VLC, version 3. It is capable of playing in the format that comes directly from the E90 if the computer is minimally powerful. You only have to select all the videos and the playback is smooth, without jumps between them, you only realize that it has changed video because on the screen you see the name of the new video for a couple of seconds. Another video player I used, before the release of VLC version 3, and it works very well with 4K content is PotPlayer. You can try too.

In the video what color profile did you use? I see really good colors in that video. I like the way it looks using the filter. I usually record in uncompressed profile and then retouch the colors in post-production. I haven't tried the last update if the color profiles have changed.

I love seeing so much green :)

Concerning videos, I mean on Final Cut Pro X when I assembly them there is 1 second missing and when the drone moves when I record this one second is important

Anyway it is very strange that a sad card formatted in exFat cannot record more than 5 mins in once (3,7Gb)
Normally this limitation is only in fat32

For the colors and filter
They are close as they are in real
So I don’t use any profile which can dope the colors, I use neutral (don’t remember the real name) and iso 100, Shuter speed 1/125 which let the video smooth

I take off the drone and target with the camera a part of an area that I want to shoot, so a building, forest etc etc and then: I lock the white balance
I don’t use cloudy, sunny etc cause they change the color during the flight and also I don’t make this when the drone is not in air
Cause I saw that locking the white balance not during flight everything is over exposed like crazy I guess it is concerning reflection when camera is very very low close to the Floor

Now I am here it is in moutain close to Nara in japan
A temple which is Japanese treasure and linked to Shingon so esoteric Buddhism
The aerial shooting now is not anymore for test ;)
I need to make something ok
Also shooting in aerial for photogrammetry with Pix4Dcapture
I think I will make on my computer the survey and download on the st16s

In any case so far the H520 is the best I could have for it: silent powerful great video and very friendly

00989B58-214A-492B-8F5C-17CF9C112FCF.jpeg 00E2289F-3F23-4944-A8F6-F375043491DC.jpeg 2A858A97-D8A8-492D-8252-B7DCC0BE40C4.jpeg C4041384-1621-4138-A929-02D6068FE393.jpeg F9E64B4E-A2E0-427D-A911-D24C6DDEDEF4.jpeg EFFBC4DC-9AA7-41DA-9C4D-81B33A964087.jpeg 8DDB4922-1F10-46C8-ADC7-BB99981793DA.jpeg 352F2E6A-0799-4EDC-8B2A-F953FC626EDF.jpeg 11CD9BDE-24C8-4E4D-86CF-5CCF1647DA96.jpeg 67D07585-D1ED-42DB-9CE6-5FBB27DFA0F9.jpeg

Concerning videos, I mean on Final Cut Pro X when I assembly them there is 1 second missing and when the drone moves when I record this one second is important

Anyway it is very strange that a sad card formatted in exFat cannot record more than 5 mins in once (3,7Gb)
Normally this limitation is only in fat32

Well, right now I don't think it's a limitation of the file system. If you record at 4K and 60fps and it takes up every 5 minutes 3.7GB file, I have checked mine and I record them at UHD and 30fps and they take up 2.1GB. So I understand that it is a procedure of the camera itself limiting the duration of each file to 5 minutes. It's not the first camera I've seen that does it, many do it. Right now I'm lost, I've always thought that limitations came from the file system, if I'm not getting confused about something :oops: This may be a protection against filling the recording buffer and preventing problems.

I've never used Final Cut Pro X before, but I can join the files together and I can't see the union of the different parts of a video sequence. I think it has to be something of the program, not apply video transitions to those unions and "put them together" well.

I take off the drone and target with the camera a part of an area that I want to shoot, so a building, forest etc etc and then: I lock the white balance
I don’t use cloudy, sunny etc cause they change the color during the flight and also I don’t make this when the drone is not in air
Cause I saw that locking the white balance not during flight everything is over exposed like crazy I guess it is concerning reflection when camera is very very low close to the Floor

I think that's the way to do it, yes.

You're lucky because you live in an incomparable environment, for me. I live in a similar area, with lots of green too, but the terrain is not so rugged :)

thx arruntus
i did my best to live in Kyoto and moving regularly in mountain, for my health it was a priority ;)
if you like rugged area you will love the next films it is in 1750m, 5 hours of walking to go there: no roads, no street only trees everywhere, closer than the forest moon of endor where live the ewoks (starwars) than the type of forest that i was used to go in france

the pics that i joined on my ast message comes from the village named DOROGAWA, here people are considered to come directly from the 2 demons that you can see as statues: Goki and Zenki,
it is not bad at all it is only folklore and they respect mountains like crazy: it is pleasant to be here :)

for the limitation yes i thought it was only linked to FAT32 (limited to 4GB max)but an exfat is not at all (there is no limitation with exfat)
i will contact Jacky from YUNEEC Honk kong to ask
and also requestiong the possibility to adjust the joysticks, too sensitive for me and you can see it on videos unfortunately
but again the H520 is totally dope compared to the DJI i know (excluding the matrice 600 but not the same price)
:)

So far so good
I am in mountain now (pics joined): 6 hours or climbing with drone on my back

I pilot the drone in some tricky places (last pic) I am not able to land and take off normally :)

Huge problem: when I arrived I made calibration, after 10 times always had the problem of magneto.
Monks there told me that it is an Holly mountain and were not surprised
Anyway everything on manual
I will post video when I will have more bandwidth

148D869E-6FFA-459D-8622-4D9984FABD2B.jpeg 9CFC1491-B84C-4EBE-902E-ED685443E615.jpeg DE51180A-4BD9-4131-BE81-BDC99909B7C0.jpeg D0446F24-FB8B-4D60-8274-48D5063C3075.jpeg FD1C8400-850F-47E5-B58A-CD47BF12DE73.jpeg B5C3C966-038F-4DAB-86C0-434E8C14938E.jpeg

Reactions: zandoli
When you talk about the magneto calibration error, I imagine you're referring to the compass. The error is EKF, isn't it? Everyone's confusing that by saying it's the compass error, if it's your case. It is an error in the protection system of the controller, the mission of this system is to check that all the sensors are correct, that you have enough satellites, etc.. It's not a error of the compass itself.

To avoid that error I'm talking about, there's a very simple way to avoid it, a simple way to see that you end up with all the positions marked by the wizzar, keep the H520 still in the last position for 3 or 4 seconds until it beeps. Then the mistake won't go away.

Spectacular images, and yes, both takeoff and landing by taking it from the landing gear on more than one occasion becomes necessary. It's a matter of practicing, quietly, and taking care of the propellers ;)

thx a lot

sorry for my silence i was working very hard at the places i went
thx for the infos, i was pretty affraid of this message (it happens once)

again a new rush that will be a part fo the final film (i have 2 hours of shooting)
i did my best for the white balance locking and i am very happy of using Polarized, 4k@60fps and shutter speed at 1/125 with iso 100: everything is not touched (raw)
this is clearly not the best part i did (i keep the best for the final film)
the grass "yellow" is not grass but tiny bamboo so it is not overexposed but natural

i am very happy cause the responsibles of the 5 congregations there, were so impressed (they never saw their area from air with good qualirty) that they asked me to shoot more (but terrible weather didnt allow me to do more) :(

next step: i am waiting my 4HAWKS RAPTOR SR (which i HIGHLY recommend)
i am working in sanctuaires, temples and castles, so it is not for a maximum distance but much more for reliability in some areas linked to japanese heritages) :)

When you talk about the magneto calibration error, I imagine you're referring to the compass. The error is EKF, isn't it? Everyone's confusing that by saying it's the compass error, if it's your case. It is an error in the protection system of the controller, the mission of this system is to check that all the sensors are correct, that you have enough satellites, etc.. It's not a error of the compass itself.

To avoid that error I'm talking about, there's a very simple way to avoid it, a simple way to see that you end up with all the positions marked by the wizzar, keep the H520 still in the last position for 3 or 4 seconds until it beeps. Then the mistake won't go away.

Spectacular images, and yes, both takeoff and landing by taking it from the landing gear on more than one occasion becomes necessary. It's a matter of practicing, quietly, and taking care of the propellers ;)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trepox