Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Some Remarks About The New H- Plus Prior to First Flight

Reaction score
1. The props (rotors) have been redesigned they are longer and more aerodynamic.
2. My old battery booted the H-Plus but where there used to be three metal circles for contacts
there are now three slots. The charger seems to be the same as the H except for the
receptors which now accommodate the new battery design. I think this change will require me
to buy new batteries instead of using old H style.
3. I was very happy to see that despite some small dimension differences the H-Plus fits
perfectly in my GoProfessional hard shipping case made for the Typhoon H.
4. I’m pleased they added a USB port which I assume is so you can connect a power
pack to the controller for either longer life or charging the controller.
5. There is now only one fan on the bottom of the controller which looks to be same size
as one of fans which is on the bottom of the H controller.

Once I've charged the batteries which came with it I'll about the flight experience.

Last edited:
The battery level of the controller and the H Plus were extremely low, below storage level. The H Plus battery using the included charger took more than 8 hours to charge (I went to bed before it was done) so I don't know how long it really takes. See an explanation further down as to why it was not charging...battery goes in either way.

Here however is the most bizarre aspect thus far in examining the way the H + is made. When viewing what the battery contacts looked like compared to the old ones. I notice what I think is a very poor aspect of the design. Right in the path of the battery slot where the battery slides in towards the back there is what appears to be a rather large gray insulated wire.. Surely the constant insertion and removal is going to be detrimental to the life of this wire. It's a mystery to me how it could be designed like this. Perhaps on mine something was overlooked in quality control. It is premature to make a judgement and perhaps it's some sort of non functioning remnant of manufacturing but I'm kind of baffled thus far by it. I would be curious to know if others who have an H + can see the same thing when they look towards the back of the battery insertion slot.

Last edited:
1. The props (rotors) have been redesigned they are longer and more aerodynamic.
2. My old battery booted the H-Plus but where there used to be three metal circles for contacts
there are now three slots. The charger seems to be the same as the H except for the
receptors which now accommodate the new battery design. I think this change will require me
to buy new batteries instead of using old H style.
3. I was very happy to see that despite some small dimension differences the H-Plus fits
perfectly in my GoProfessional hard shipping case made for the Typhoon H.
4. I’m pleased they added a USB port which I assume is so you can connect a power
pack to the controller for either longer life or charging the controller.
5. There is now only one fan on the bottom of the controller which looks to be same size
as one of fans which is on the bottom of the H controller.

Once I've charged the batteries which came with it I'll about the flight experience.
The balance contact change on the battery and charger are because the H+ and H520 are supplied with High Volt Lipo Batteries and not the normal type used in the original Typhoon H. It is done so you cannot use the wrong charger by mistake. If you charge a normal lipo with the High Volt charger, it would over charge the battery and possibly cause a fire. You can however use the batteries from the Typhoon H in the H+ and H520. They are a lower C rating but work fine in the H520 so should be OK in the H+.

The balance contact change on the battery and charger are because the H+ and H520 are supplied with High Volt Lipo Batteries and not the normal type used in the original Typhoon H. It is done so you cannot use the wrong charger by mistake. If you charge a normal lipo with the High Volt charger, it would over charge the battery and possibly cause a fire. You can however use the batteries from the Typhoon H in the H+ and H520. They are a lower C rating but work fine in the H520 so should be OK in the H+.
Thanks Kev, just noticed that unlike first charger battery will go into charger either way. When put in the wrong way you receive a blinking green light. I interpreted this to mean battery was in properly as other chargers use this kind of indication and when it's fully charged green becomes solid instead of blinking green. Inserting the battery the "correct way" yields a red light indicating it's charging. On another matter I use a Graupner and another third party charger with leads which allow me to charge Typhoon H batteries do you think those leads are suitable for charging the new batteries when HV Lipo setting is selected? Having only two batteries and not being in an experimental mood I don't wish to find out it doesn't by trying it.

Thanks Kev, just noticed that unlike first charger battery will go into charger either way. When put in the wrong way you receive a blinking green light. I interpreted this to mean battery was in properly as other chargers use this kind of indication and when it's fully charged green becomes solid instead of blinking green. Inserting the battery the "correct way" yields a red light indicating it's charging. On another matter I use a Graupner and another third party charger with leads which allow me to charge Typhoon H batteries do you think those leads are suitable for charging the new batteries when HV Lipo setting is selected? Having only two batteries and not being in an experimental mood I don't wish to find out it doesn't by trying it.
No the leads you use for the non HV will not work as they won't connect with the balance sockets on the HV batts. You will need to buy the leads made for the HV batts, then all the connections will line up and select HV Lipo on your charger.

No the leads you use for the non HV will not work as they won't connect with the balance sockets on the HV batts. You will need to buy the leads made for the HV batts, then all the connections will line up and select HV Lipo on your charger.
Thanks I've just ordered one.

The H+ has been neutered as far as extensibility it appears...those who own a 520 with the same camera how do you slow down the gimbal tilt? I did a search and all it came up with was my description of how to do it on the ST 16 and Typhoon H. It also appears that flying using the touch pad no longer works (I hope I'm wrong about this) when I hit the right touchpad buttons you no longer get a dialog box about activating the touch pads. If I can no longer adjust gimbal tilt or use touch pads this thing is worthless for the way I like to shoot video. So I now have a Typhoon H without the resolution I need and a Typhoon H + which no longer has the extensibility of modifying sticks, gimbal and flying with touch pads.

So you can not get into the programming and change rates and expos for the control outputs? That is a little alarming, and no touch pad operation either? Maybe they have just removed the fly-out message, have you tried it in flight? Those would be two big missing pieces.

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
As complex as the new interface is, perhaps there are settings present to access and activate previously easy to access features? Loss of cruise control would be a significant reduction in functionality, as would gimbal speed.

Agreed... it has to be a different route to get to the settings... and as usual we are left to figure this out for ourselves... let the Easter Egg hunt begin... hmmm, secret menu? And maybe CC has to wait for a FW update, to be added? If I remember, the first FW update for the 520 was what, 2 weeks after release?

I have not flown yet, you may both be correct those options are still possible but thus far I've not stumbled across them. Perhaps since the settings now appear to lock instead of having to always change them each time motors are shut down they no longer initiate those touch pads until aloft. Does the 520 have touch pad capability? I know nothing about that craft (520). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself (which would be about everyone) who owns either the + or a 520 can chime in. I know Peggy indicated there were less features. The interface doesn't seem to be too complex and I think I've just about exhausted obvious possibilities but remember how some of the power in the ST16 was hidden or unintuitive and certainly not documented so I guess there is still some hope. The touch pads do make the same sounds as the ST 16 indicating at least something is happening. Maybe someone in Europe like a dealer in German I know can answer this riddle. I will be flying shortly...the camera also has a rather bizarre 4 or five choices for image quality it must be related to variable compression...the choices are low, normal, High and Super. Another annoyance is they only have Jpeg and Jpeg+DNG I always shoot DNG and the clutter of a Jpeg every time I shoot a DNG is just not needed for my intended use and volume I shoot...

@Mickeyboo when you get a chance, see if the "get sharpness" command works on the plus... be interested to know where that is set, and if it can be modified in the same way.

There is no gimbal calibration that I've found nor IMU calibration. The only documented calibration is for compass. Overtime you boot up you're greeted with a message "Make sure you're using the latest firmware" Documentation only talks about compass calibration and where to find it.

well since the H+ FW isn't even on the US site, I guess you are :)

well since the H+ FW isn't even on the US site, I guess you are :)

I just received my H+ today. The ST16S communicated via my home wifi with the Yuneec "update" server successfully, best I could tell. A bunch of stuff downloaded to who knows where, but afterwards, selecting "update" returns "No updates necessary", or equivalent, I don't have it up and running in front of me. But I thought the process was smooth and successful.

Right in the path of the battery slot where the battery slides in towards the back there is what appears to be a rather large gray insulated wire.. Surely the constant insertion and removal is going to be detrimental to the life of this wire.... I would be curious to know if others who have an H + can see the same thing when they look towards the back of the battery insertion slot.

I looked into mine. I see the twisted wires and associated connector back there. The insertion end of these batteries are beveled on both sides, with one side having a greater amount of bevel. That's the side that approaches those wires, and I don't think there's any conflict. It's impossible to tell for sure without seeing what's happening from the side as the battery goes in, but my sense is that the bevel of the battery is sufficient to avoid a problem there.

Reactions: rdonson
good to know about the updates... wonder if downloading the files will be an option, or you have to go with OTA.

I have not flown yet, you may both be correct those options are still possible but thus far I've not stumbled across them. Perhaps since the settings now appear to lock instead of having to always change them each time motors are shut down they no longer initiate those touch pads until aloft. Does the 520 have touch pad capability? I know nothing about that craft (520). Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself (which would be about everyone) who owns either the + or a 520 can chime in. I know Peggy indicated there were less features. The interface doesn't seem to be too complex and I think I've just about exhausted obvious possibilities but remember how some of the power in the ST16 was hidden or unintuitive and certainly not documented so I guess there is still some hope. The touch pads do make the same sounds as the ST 16 indicating at least something is happening. Maybe someone in Europe like a dealer in German I know can answer this riddle. I will be flying shortly...the camera also has a rather bizarre 4 or five choices for image quality it must be related to variable compression...the choices are low, normal, High and Super. Another annoyance is they only have Jpeg and Jpeg+DNG I always shoot DNG and the clutter of a Jpeg every time I shoot a DNG is just not needed for my intended use and volume I shoot...

Mickey,

Cruise control is not yet available on the H520. Hopefully a feature to be added in the “near” future.

Like the rest, I certainly hope cruise is there, or will be shortly, for the H+.

I am usually pretty patient when it comes to new models and first rollouts, but even I am getting concerned with the move to the non-proprietary flight stack.

I can only surmise that maybe this conversion is way more complex than we can imagine. In this sense any manufacturer is caught in the dilemma of releasing a new model prior to everything being developed (read: feature set) versus delaying any given release until all the features are available at the risk of infuriating existing customers waiting to upgrade or new ones hoping to jump into the family.

Either way, as we see many times, it is rarely a win-win situation. Somebody ends up disappointed.

Jeff

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my