Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Speed dial issue

Reaction score
Looking for guidance. After takeoff with all signs clear, my H will hover and turn OK. Speed is set at "turtle"; all is OK. When I rotate the speed dial, my H begins to move to the right. As I increase speed, my H flies even faster to the right. I tried a compass calibration; no effect. Any thoughts? Is a reset needed? Thank you for any suggestions or questions.

Your solution lies within the following thread... it may be a simple cleaning of the sticks or possibly something more. Following the specified procedures as presented in this thread should take care of the underlying issue:

Maintenance and Care of the ST-16

Follow-up to suggestions: Bought air can and learned quickly that one of my stick control hole covers had disappeared. Spraying into the holes had minimal effect. In flight however, my H Pro went forward (had been left previously) as I turned the speed dial. During a test on ground, I noted the following: 1: Rapid Warning Beeps for speed above 50%; no warnings below 50% speed. 2: In Hardware settings - Angle mode - Only J-1 showed a starting value above "0"; somewhere between 0 and 25. 3: At any speed setting, J-3 (right stick) reached -50 (full foward) or +50 (full back). 4: J-4 reached full 100 ( + or - ) pushing the right stick fully to the left or right.
-- Before proceeding further, is my right stick (J-3) behavior normal?

Also watched the 2 YouTube videos that were suggested. Great stuff. Must watch for all.

Thank you once again for any and all suggestions.
Red Baron

Last edited:
Quick update on my speed dial issues:
1) Used an air spray to clean the right-side pot from the outside rear of the unit - no change at all
2) Bought a set of hex screwdrivers to disassemble the unit - Found and removed 7 screws - Still unable to disassemble the ST-16 for further air-spraying. I'm reluctant to attempt further disassembly.
3) Re-read the "Maintenance and Care of the ST-16" thread, and took detailed notes.
4) Decided to do a reset - However, I could not connect the ST-16 to my home PC. Tried four separate connecting cords. For two of the connecting cords, my PC made a sound to indicate that is was connected. My PC never showed a connection to the ST-16.
5) Next step: Unless someone has a better option, I plan to contact the Yuneec repair business in Kansas City, MO for likely repairs.

Thank you,
Red Baron

With the ST-16 turned off, drip a small amount of rubbing alcohol into the 4 cardinal points (top, bottom, sides) of each gimbal and stir the sticks vigorously for a little bit. Allow an hour for the alcohol to evaporate. Then test the system.

When connecting to s computer and not using the H GUI, the ST-16 shows up as a new drive. It is not identified as ST-16.

Thank you PatR for your interest. My 2-year old PC still does not recognize the ST16, but I just learned that my older laptop does. This opens the door to the full reset option. As an FYI last year, my Typhoon Pro crashed after a power failure. Looking back, I suspect a poorly-seated (OP error) battery. Yuneec's repair service in Kansas City put it back together, but not necessarily perfectly. Also, when my drone is hovering, any use of the speed dial results in the drone flying off in a random but level direction. That's scary and makes it un-flightworthy.

I am a novice when it comes to understanding drone language. You suggested that I apply rubbing alcohol to the "gimbals" on the ST-16. Are you referring to the control stick units? Thus far, I removed 7 screws from the rear side but still unable to open the ST16. What am I doing wrong or missing?

Thank you for any helpful suggestions.
Red Baron

You are missing the four screws under the grips on the sides. The grips are secured by double sided tape and just lift off.

You definitely have dirty pots on the sticks (which are in gimbal mounts and therefore referred to as control gimbals by many long time RC pilots). My suggestion is to remove the gimbals (four screws in corners) and use plastic safe contact cleaner on the potentiometers giving them a vigorous stir before the cleaner evaporates.

Once cleaned and reassembled check all the controls in the hardware monitor ensuring that the readout follows the movement of the sticks while moving at both fast and slow speeds. Also ensure they return to center without lagging behind movement.

If you still get this drift as you increase the rate slider let us know. You may have trouble with mixed channels, although that scenario is unlikely since the movement has been in different directions.

Please report your progress.

QUESTION: How do you spell "genius"?

ANSWERS:
Eagle's Eye Video
PatR
Doom Meister

Closely followed the guidance and encouragement of these fine people today. Doubted their words every minute but trusted their judgment.

After reassembling, the Hardware Monitor showed all systems were go. I had some nervous moments in Smart Mode; some erratic behavior hovering at 30 feet. Barely avoided a tipover at landing. All OP errors. Took a deep breath and tried again in Angle. Went up to 45 feet; perfect hover, AND no movement while adjusting the speed dial.

Perfect landing; all thanks to these fine gentlemen.

Thank you,
Ron Beran

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz