Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

st 12 antenna

Hi johnnyb57,

how do you use ST12? Why you want to improve its antenna?

I got one ST12 together with ST24 in a tornado H920 (not plus) box. In the manual it is written that ST12 should be used as pilot, and ST24 as camera operator. Looking at both controllers, I would assume that ST24 should have better connection than ST12.. With that being said, I had my H920 fly away due to connection loss with ST24 (the reason is most likely my unexperience). Now I am wondering, how good connection between H920 and ST12 is..

Hi johnnyb57,

how do you use ST12? Why you want to improve its antenna?

I got one ST12 together with ST24 in a tornado H920 (not plus) box. In the manual it is written that ST12 should be used as pilot, and ST24 as camera operator. Looking at both controllers, I would assume that ST24 should have better connection than ST12.. With that being said, I had my H920 fly away due to connection loss with ST24 (the reason is most likely my unexperience). Now I am wondering, how good connection between H920 and ST12 is..
Dont know, but seeing as the st 16, and + have the antennas on the outside there must be reason ? Havent even flown the 500 yet ?

I have a Q500 since years and a Typhoon H for two years. The 5GHz video downlink via Wifi is often interrupted depending on drones distance, hight and environment. But I never lost 2.4GHz RC connection. The range of the 2.4GHz connection is good enough for VLOS flight.
If the antenna is inside or outside makes no that great difference. Both are rod antennas. Outside is a bit better but not so much. More important is the direction of the antennas. There are always two antennas on the transmitter. Those antennas have to be in 90° angle to each other for best radio coverage.
The internal antennas in the ST10 have it and you cannot change this which is good.
The ST16 with one external and one internal antennas has the 90° angle unintended because the internal antenna is horizonal and the external antenna is usually vertical.
The ST16 with two external 2.4GHz antennas looks better but is it better? I see very often both rod antennas in parallel. If one point both antennas to the drone, one have the minimum range, congratulations. This kind of misuse will hardly happen if one antenna is inside.

br HE

I have a Q500 since years and a Typhoon H for two years. The 5GHz video downlink via Wifi is often interrupted depending on drones distance, hight and environment. But I never lost 2.4GHz RC connection. The range of the 2.4GHz connection is good enough for VLOS flight.
If the antenna is inside or outside makes no that great difference. Both are rod antennas. Outside is a bit better but not so much. More important is the direction of the antennas. There are always two antennas on the transmitter. Those antennas have to be in 90° angle to each other for best radio coverage.
The internal antennas in the ST10 have it and you cannot change this which is good.
The ST16 with one external and one internal antennas has the 90° angle unintended because the internal antenna is horizonal and the external antenna is usually vertical.
The ST16 with two external 2.4GHz antennas looks better but is it better? I see very often both rod antennas in parallel. If one point both antennas to the drone, one have the minimum range, congratulations. This kind of misuse will hardly happen if one antenna is inside.

br HE
Thank you on the insight, did not know this stuff ? Someone took the wi-fi module out of a phone, and put it in the st 10, and said it improved it, how much is anyones guess thats what got me thinking ? So now I will leave well enough alone. Also on my st16, and 16+ I put those antennas @ 45 degree out, and in facing the controller, which seems well enough ? I also have the 4 hawks, which I haven't used yet ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval