Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 Fan failure

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

A little over a month out of warranty and my ST-16 controller fan started sounding terrible. I opened the controller and found that one of the fans is completely seized and won't spin. The other has a protectivie flat metal piece that comes in contact with fan blades, this I removed. I've tested it and it no longer is making the noise of course but I'd like to replace them with new fans perhaps of a better quality. Has anybody found a replacement? I seen in a thread here Yuneec wont sell the fans outright, not sure if this true. Also is one of the fans intake and the other exhaust? They appear to be different or maybe one is installed 180 degrees.

Thanks and cheers

Warranties for Yuneec products were extended to 12 months about a month ago. Since I have one of the first H to hit the streets, and knowing my warranty is still active, I seriously doubt your warranty has expired either. Call Yuneec CS.

Even if the warranty has expired you could obtain a new fan and install it in the ST-16. The existing fans are more than adequate for the -16. Both are used for cooling. BTW, I have a spare fan. I simply asked for it. You can't obtain anything if you don't ask.

Warranties for Yuneec products were extended to 12 months about a month ago. Since I have one of the first H to hit the streets, and knowing my warranty is still active, I seriously doubt your warranty has expired either. Call Yuneec CS.

Even if the warranty has expired you could obtain a new fan and install it in the ST-16. The existing fans are more than adequate for the -16. Both are used for cooling. BTW, I have a spare fan. I simply asked for it. You can't obtain anything if you don't ask.
I agree, one must ask and he might recieve. That sucks, do you think they will honor the warranty considering I opened the controller? Man I wish I'd have known this before I opened it last night.

I prefer not to make a guess, but a call would establish one way or another. They are open on Saturday.

Interesting. One of my fans has become defective as well. It can be heard in the background of some of my videos on YouTube. I have not bothered to repair it myself. I'll check to see if Yuneec will bother replacing or repairing.

They offered to repair mine when I first informed them of it several months ago. Having no desire to send the 16 away for three or four weeks I asked if I could obtain the part and handle it myself. You'll need some special Torx bits to access the 16. Ones with a hole in the center of the driver bit. Most decent hardware stores carry them.

Reactions: Steve Carr
And you should check before closing it up that one fan blows in and the other blows out.

yes, they'll replace a fan. I sent my 2nd ST16 in a week ago, and expect it back in a few days. If non-warranty, it'll cost abt $50.

Almost impossible not to be under warranty if the 16 has not been taken apart since the warranty was extended to 12 months.

Mine had a screaming fan out of the box (January 4). When I spoke to tech support, the guy said "they're high-speed fans; sometimes they whine." I told him I know what a muffin-fan sounds like, and this one sounds like the bearings are shot. No joy up until a couple weeks ago when I sent it in for other issues (and that's a whole other story).

I did open it up to see if maybe something was causing the noise, though, and either the techs didn't notice (hard to imagine, since I removed the adhesive under the grips) or they didn't care.

... Torx bits to access the 16. Ones with a hole in the center of the driver bit.

Mine took standard metric hex keys, 1.5mm for the little one top-center, and 2 or 2.5mm for the rest...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal