Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST-16 Greeting Edit / Smart Mode Landing Distance

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a newbie to the Typhoon H Pro and haven't even had a chance to fly it yet but I have a couple of Phantoms 3's.

1 - At the top of the controller screen it says, "Welcome, Pilot." Can that be personalized?

2 - If I understand it correctly, if I'm Smart Mode the drone will land a certain distance away from me. I realize I can always use Angle mode but is the Smart Mode distance adjustable?

3 - Is it possible to use the four-point neck harness and the OEM sun shade at the same time? It appears that they use the sale ponting points.

Question 1 - no from what I’ve seen
Question 2 - smart mode will not in theory let the 480 get close to you with in 15’ give or take. It’s not for flying so much but for creating personal geo fence to push or pull drone in follow me mode.
3. The sunshade fits into the holes below the clip points on the st mounts.

Smart mode is the cause of many unexpected crashes and what people call fly always cause they can’t control it and the more they move their position, the worse it gets. I would never land with it on.

Reactions: PDX1953
I think the geo-fence is actually about 26' from the controller. Be sure to download and read the manual. It's in Chinglish but still readable.
When you land just turn the nose of the aircraft away from you so you don't get the orientation confused.
On your first flight, let the H sit with power on but motors off, for 12-1/2 minutes to let the GPS finish updating.
When landing, at about 8" above the ground you can press and hold the red button and the H will land itself and shut down the motors.

Reactions: PDX1953
Thanks for the answers & advice. Having learned how NOT to do things with my first Phantom 3 (which I'm currently rebuilding) I'm sure I'll take a lot more care when I actually get to fly the H.

I've watched a lot of videos about the Typhoon & the red button landing looks like a great way to do it. For anyone who might want to disable Smart Mode here's a video on how to do it.

Thanks for the answers & advice. Having learned how NOT to do things with my first Phantom 3 (which I'm currently rebuilding) I'm sure I'll take a lot more care when I actually get to fly the H.

I've watched a lot of videos about the Typhoon & the red button landing looks like a great way to do it. For anyone who might want to disable Smart Mode here's a video on how to do it.
Red button landings are fine landing on a level surface IMHO. Remember that once you commit to a 'red button landing', you have essentially given up control of the aircraft to gravity and if the landing surface isn't level there is a risk that the aircraft could try to tip over on landing and you will have no way of shooting the aircraft up again for a re-try.

Best, then, to practice your landings using the 'normal' method and the red button method, and depending on how comfortable you are in doing it (there are arguments for and against this) hand catches.

Here is a video that towards the end demonstrates a good landing on a level(ish) surface...watch from time 2:55

I see a lot of posts about not using Home mode but don't understand why pilots don't like it. I know the drone will immediately climb to the preset altitude before starting back but when flying the simulator I've switched it on, brought the drone close enough for me to take over & gone into Angle mode for the landing. Other people don't like Smart mode but again, on the sim I don't have to worry about orientation which is a massive plus for me. I know it has a built in safety zone but again, going into Angle mode allows me to take over.

I have a Pro with Realsense & thought the landing gear would automatically lower if the craft gets to a certain height regardless of the mode I'm in. When I turn on Home mode the gear immediately drops regardless of where the drone is but I was under the impression there were downward looking sonar detectors that would lower the gear for me in case I forgot. I've been able to crash land with the gear up even after enabling intelligent mode in the simulator.

I'm sure happy to learn the basics and make mistakes on purpose using the the sim vs. crashing my drone.

Reactions: Crashking

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio