Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST 16 Stock antennas

Reaction score
On the st16 controller which has three antennas, which center antenna do you prefer and why ?
The flat one or the mushroom one.
Thanks Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
In two years with two H’s I’ve only ever used the stock mushroom. Then again, I’ve only once flown so far away I could not see the aircraft. Max distance flown by me most of the time is around 1000’, but I have gone out 300-400’ further on occasion. The H is too small to see further than that.

In two years with two H’s I’ve only ever used the stock mushroom. Then again, I’ve only once flown so far away I could not see the aircraft. Max distance flown by me most of the time is around 1000’, but I have gone out 300-400’ further on occasion. The H is too small to see further than that.
You are right it is too hard to see it at 1000 feet. I was just looking for other people's input on the flat antenna versus the mushroom antenna. I just got off the phone with Yuneec . I had a typhoon H fly away a couple months back. Yuneec is sending me a new drone but right now they say they are back-ordered. so I'm excited about getting another drone, but they are not sure how long it will take before it is shipped out.
Keith

I use the patch antenna (flat one). I've had no issues with the mushroom antenna but since I got a patch antenna free I use it. I'm pretty conscientious about keeping my antennas facing the H.

I use the patch antenna (flat one). I've had no issues with the mushroom antenna but since I got a patch antenna free I use it. I'm pretty conscientious about keeping my antennas facing the H.

Hello Again
I tried to keep the antennas pointed
to the typhoon H as well but you know as well as I do when trees get in the way signals get lost.

I did, a year and a half ago. It got handled and I got over it. We have the option of accepting that chit happens and moving on or spending countless hours stressing over what might someday happen and never enjoy what we are doing. Fly aways happen with aerospace stuff too and the quality level of that stuff is several orders of magnitude better than our toys. People think having a multirotor fly away is a disaster. Try having to sit back and accept reality while a $300k UAV with 12 hours of fuel on board stops responding to commands and goes off on its merry way at 60mph. Everything made can break.

Reactions: KEITH KUHN
I prefer the square antenna for distance does not drop out like the mushroom on my H but looking to buy another itelite for the H as it dramatically improved my Q500+ at the time

I did, a year and a half ago. It got handled and I got over it. We have the option of accepting that chit happens and moving on or spending countless hours stressing over what might someday happen and never enjoy what we are doing. Fly aways happen with aerospace stuff too and the quality level of that stuff is several orders of magnitude better than our toys. People think having a multirotor fly away is a disaster. Try having to sit back and accept reality while a $300k UAV with 12 hours of fuel on board stops responding to commands and goes off on its merry way at 60mph. Everything made can break.

You are right chit does happen and it always will Murphy's Law I'm sure you know.
Keith Kuhn

I purchased a crosshair antenna for my st24's and st16's. I prefer the flat directional over the mushroom for the video and find the itelite or the 4 hawk to be overkill. The VOS cost me $27 plus a $5 adapter. Easy to change it out and it's a 45 degree adapter which helps to keep it pointed towards the H or 920.

I never lose the telemetry data but the video is always the first to go which is why I find the 4 hawks etcetera overkill. I have better than average eyesight for long distance so I do lose video soon especially with the 920.

I purchased a crosshair antenna for my st24's and st16's. I prefer the flat directional over the mushroom for the video and find the itelite or the 4 hawk to be overkill. The VOS cost me $27 plus a $5 adapter. Easy to change it out and it's a 45 degree adapter which helps to keep it pointed towards the H or 920.

I never lose the telemetry data but the video is always the first to go which is why I find the 4 hawks etcetera overkill. I have better than average eyesight for long distance so I do lose video soon especially with the 920.
Can I ask why you find the itelite overkill

Can I ask why you find the itelite overkill
Cost is $100 and then it needs to be mounted and it's extra weight and more stuff for the controller. If you want to move it to another controller it is more difficult than a single antenna that you simply screw on. The video seems to be the weak link so why boost/directionally aim the other antennas?

If it was the control or telemetry antennas being a weak link then when you had problems the RTH should resolve that issue. I've never had the control or the telemetry be an issue.

Cost is $100 and then it needs to be mounted and it's extra weight and more stuff for the controller. If you want to move it to another controller it is more difficult than a single antenna that you simply screw on. The video seems to be the weak link so why boost/directionally aim the other antennas?

If it was the control or telemetry antennas being a weak link then when you had problems the RTH should resolve that issue. I've never had the control or the telemetry be an issue.
Yea I just like the fact it gives you the extra distance if needed as once I got it fitted to my ST10+ it was a huge difference no video break ups but thing I like about the itelite for the H it's just clip on screw cables on and that's it with the H you normally let it sit for 12 to 13 minutes anyway to let the GPS re populate but everyone is different

Regardless of what antenna you use
How far out are you when you lose your video signal ? Do you feel that treestrees still give you a problem no matter which antennaantenna you use. thanks
Keith Kuhn

The trees for me do make a difference. I had more issues flying in a canal in Duluth MN that had boosted wifi. The directional antenna did more to combat that interference. I was at my local state park that has a lot of trees and got closer to 1 mile of distance before my video started to cut out.

The trees for me do make a difference. I had more issues flying in a canal in Duluth MN that had boosted wifi. The directional antenna did more to combat that interference. I was at my local state park that has a lot of trees and got closer to 1 mile of distance before my video started to cut out.
Hi
I have never gotten even close to a mile. Line at 300 feet elevation if I get 1500 feet I'm lucky. If I go to 350 to 400 feet I may get 2, 000 feet distance. but with all the different incidences I have had I am sticking closer to Los line of sight.
Keith

The state park is probably a 100 feet above my town and a mile and a half from town to park.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval