Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST10 Bricked!

Reaction score
I bought a used Q500 (white) and a ST10 with it. Than I download the new firmware from the web site. I update the drone with no problem but the ST10 get bricked because on the download page i didn't realize that the firmware was only for the ST10+ !!!
Now the ST10 have just a scramble video with no image but the radio and commands work. I am not able to see all the information abut the drone battery and all the other info about the flight.
There is anyone that had this problem? Anyone know if is possible to downgrade the firmware? Without the screen look like is impossible.
Please Help!

Attachments

• 20190224_204416.jpg
    20190224_204416.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Bad news. There is no recovery for this other than sending it to a service center, or simply replacing it. Many have struggled against this reality. I know of none ending with success.

For what it's worth, the controller isn't "bricked", in the normal use of the term. As you have already noticed, the controller is working fine. You just can't see anything on screen, or use the touchscreen controls. The problem is that something called the "android/video interface" has been corrupted, and has to be reprogrammed at one of the service centers.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I bought a used Q500 (white) and a ST10 with it. Than I download the new firmware from the web site. I update the drone with no problem but the ST10 get bricked because on the download page i didn't realize that the firmware was only for the ST10+ !!!
Now the ST10 have just a scramble video with no image but the radio and commands work. I am not able to see all the information abut the drone battery and all the other info about the flight.
There is anyone that had this problem? Anyone know if is possible to downgrade the firmware? Without the screen look like is impossible.
Please Help!
Stay with us. There may be some hope.

Don’t send it back, recover it. Is the RC an Android based platform?

Stay with us. There may be some hope.

With help from @markux and @Steve Carr, this issue was revisited. Ultimately, there is still no readily available recovery from a “bad update” bricked ST-10. This project did reveal some items that have not been posted, and these may prove useful to others.

Discussion:
The issue in this case, (and many others) is that the ST-10 was updated with ST-10+ firmware that is not compatible with the ST-10 video (Build st10+v01b31c). The screen is essentially blank (heavy dark gray lines across the screen) and the touch screen features are not available.
In this project, the affected ST-10 mainboard was temporarily moved to an ST-10+ controller to give it access to a video compatible with its new firmware. That part of the project worked well. Normal screen visibility and functions were restored. (It is highly questionable if this will work if the problem was caused by an attempt to load COMPATIBLE firmware that simply “went wrong”. Those would be case by case situations depending on WHAT went wrong.)
With normal screen functions restored, it seemed like the solution would simply be to undo the update. It only “seemed” to be so.
Attempts were made to reload several versions of the ST-10 firmware updates. No problem with the Tx portion of the update. They can apparently be loaded and replaced at will. The issue came with the “SYSTEM” portion of the update.
The “system” portion of the firmware cannot replace the existing update with an earlier version. The device will attempt to update, stall, reset itself, attempt again, and repeat for about 5 cycles, then fail out to the android error screen.
The “Reset” and “Factory Data Reset” are not true factory resets. They only erase settings and data created by the user. It returns the system to the current version firmware update.
It appears the only way to revert the mainboard to a compatible firmware version is to reset the software similar to doing a “reimage” of a PC. You may be aware that many android cell phone manufacturers make the firmware and programing available to the consumers. However, Yuneec apparently has not made the equivalent resources available to the general public (at least nowhere I have found).

Summary:
You still have to replace it, or send it to Yuneec for repair.

Additional Observations:
1. The problem ST-10 mainboard can sometimes be moved to an ST-10+ controller to get access to its video functions.

2. The ST-10+ controller SEEMS to work normally with the ST-10 mainboard installed. Only two brief flights were made, both at low altitude, minimum distance, and no challenging maneuvers, but no problems were immediately apparent. This may be worth considering as an option under some circumstances.

3. The ST-10+ controllers did NOT work perfectly when the ST-10 Wi-Fi/flight control board was installed. I only had one ST-10 Wi-Fi/flight control board, and perhaps that board has an issue, but when installed in two different ST-10+ controllers, there were “hardware monitor” issues with the J1 (up/down) and the J3 (front/back) controllers having a positive bias. One controller had a relatively severe issue that made flight almost impossible to control. The other had a minor issue that only created a noticeable “drifting”. Again, this COULD just be a problem with this particular ST-10 Wi-Fi/flight control board. The problem with the Wi-Fi/FC board related drifting occurred both when the ST-10 mainboard was installed, and when the normal ST-10+ mainboards were installed. Update 2019-03-03: This issue was caused by installing the flight control board in a different ST-10 case without recalibrating it to the input devices of the new controller. Refer to thread https://yuneecpilots.com/threads/calibrating-st10-and-st10-flight-control-board.15862/ for a discussion of the need and method of doing the required calibration.

4. You cannot put an ST-10+ screen in the ST-10 controller. It is too large for the ST-10 frame and the screen end of the ribbon connector is a contact fit that would be very difficult to align without the frame support.

5. Some attempts were made renaming files. It did not change the results.

6. The Android error screen includes some options that can be highlighted by the (+) and (-) keys. One of the options is to “apply the firmware from the SD card”. This option may (or may not) produce a different result. However, I found no way to “trigger” the option (no equivalent to an “enter” key). If someone knows how this is done, it would be useful to know.

And by the way, I don’t know what the microphone is for either. Maybe someone else does?

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
At this point the only option i have is to buy a used ST10+ somewhere on the web.
Any suggestions where can find one at a reasonable price?
I will put my ST10 on hold for a while waiting for some magician that come out with a solution!:rolleyes:

@WTFDproject if the usb port for charging was able also to transmit data to the mainboard it is maybe possible try with the ADB commands (Android Debug Bridge Utility). But I try to connect mine to the pc and the only results is charging the battery!!

"Any suggestions where can find one at a reasonable price?"
Online sites like eBay are the best bet. Unfortunately, this is the middle of "Second Christmas" in the eBay world. Prices are way up. Many sellers jack up prices trying to grab tax refund checks that are burning a hole in peoples pockets. There are always a few that remain constant, and looking for an auction is always good.

if the usb port for charging was able also to transmit data to the mainboard it is maybe possible try with the ADB commands (Android Debug Bridge Utility). But I try to connect mine to the pc and the only results is charging the battery!!
I know almost nothing about the android operating system. The USB cable can access the SD card files. I assumed that was because it is formatted in PC compatible operating system. I think you know a lot more about android than most folks.
Related to that thought, you may have noticed the mention in the post above about some selectable commands that appear on the Android error screen. One of them is a third "Factory Reset" item. Would be great to know if that one is a real "Factory Reset. I tried again today. I can select(highlight) the items, but I can't figure out how to trigger them. If you have any ideas, I'll give them a try.

[QUOTE: I try to connect mine to the pc and the only results is charging the battery!! [/QUOTE]

Check that your USB cable is a "Data" type USB and not just a "charger" USB. You should at least be able to see the SD card. And ensure you are not plugged into a USB 3.0. I think only USB 1.0 and USB 2.0 will work on the ST10.

Also, this is a picture of the android error screen that I would love to try:

If you ever get it to where you can see it, the android hidden menu has stuff like developers options and USB debugging that you may know how to use.

Last edited:
Another victim... Had the ST10+ and downloaded the ST10 firmware... fried with blank (heavy dark gray lines across the screen) and the touch screen features are not available...
Seems like Yuneec should re-con the way the website is build...I access it from Costa Rica, and sent me to the England website, then i didn't notice the difference from ST10 and the ST10+ files (rookie mistake), additionally to this , the ST10+ file had some wording in German, so made my choice assuming that file ST10+ file was German Friendly, then I selected the one in English (ST10)....proceed with the TX file...went well, then the System upgrade... and voila...bricked.
Service fee for this reflashing/reimagine at Yuneec is $80 per hour, plus parts, plus shipping.
Just bought the $89.99 controller from E-bay..Hope it works

Welcome to the frustrated crowd.
Note the bricked ST-10 board will work great as a spare for an ST-10+ controller. It's not really bricked, it's new programming just won't work with the ST-10 screen. Works fine in an ST-10+. You now have a good box of spare parts.

Reactions: rowellmc
…. I tried again today. I can select(highlight) the items, but I can't figure out how to trigger them. If you have any ideas, I'll give them a try.
doesn’t the power button act like an enter key? Can you Just toggle it off And on?
The power buttons are only soft keys…
You will see that even if you turn them OFF that they stay running for a few more seconds.

Last edited:
Might be.. but I have this problem now with a customers ST10 and am trying anyway to get it removed for them.

Reactions: Pier2162
Might be.. but I have this problem now with a customers ST10 and am trying anyway to get it removed for them.
The on/off button works as "enter" on ST16 controllers. It probably does the same on ST10. I don't have a way to check it now.
In 2019, I also did not know about the ST16 button.

Here, in the forum, an English gentleman gives a solution for total reflash from scratch. Better results give search than a new thread/new message button.

On the other point of view, the brand new ST10+ on eBay is about 30 USD.

Thread 'ST10+/ST10 Un-Brick Guide' ST10+/ST10 Un-Brick Guide

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33