Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 ate my MicroSD card !!!

Reaction score
I just went and purchased a SECOND microSD card after my ST16 controller ate the card...now it's chomped that one too. Can't tell you how mad I am. First of all, the darn receiver tray is mounted upside down requiring the card to be inserted with contacts up. No one else does this.Second it should not be possible to "miss" inserting that card. Terrible design. Ha anyone had any experience opening the back of the ST16 or am I just stuck with sending it in?

Remove rubber grips and then take all the screws out and it sgould come apart easily. Jusy be careful of all the wires as some connect the 2 halves together.

Reactions: Larry Mohr
Do you hear the cards shaking around in the ST16...it is easy to take apart, there are screws on the bottom which are visible and then if you peal away the rubber grips (which easily can be put back on) you will see two more screws...the cards will shake out
sometimes without taking all the screws out. Just remove the screws and open the controller a bit wide enough for the cards to fall out when gently shaking the ST 16. The design did not have low enough tolerance so there is a place between where you actually insert it and where it fits into the sd slot slot thus it drops thru the cracks. ( I assume this is what you mean by "eating" your SD card.
Good luck Lad

Reactions: Larry Mohr
Do you hear the cards shaking around in the ST16...it is easy to take apart, there are screws on the bottom which are visible and then if you peal away the rubber grips (which easily can be put back on) you will see two more screws...the cards will shake out
sometimes without taking all the screws out. Just remove the screws and open the controller a bit wide enough for the cards to fall out when gently shaking the ST 16. The design did not have low enough tolerance so there is a place between where you actually insert it and where it fits into the sd slot slot thus it drops thru the cracks. ( I assume this is what you mean by "eating" your SD card.
Good luck Lad

Thank you, No rattles, but there are no screws to be found either under the rubber grips or beneath what appears to be screw access holes on the back. (Unless they're some sort of proprietary fastener head, but they look like blind rivets. This is a 2016 machine so may be different. Anyone else have an idea ?

will give it a try.

Torx #10... smaller one at the top in the middle is a #06

Last edited:
Not sure whether anyone has mentioned that unnoficiial loading is to load with St16 turned over so that SD card cannot fall inside. There are a many posts back last May/June about this design flaw.
Happy H flying.

If you open, you should see a piece of rubber/foam on top of the SD card slot. This is what's supposed to keep the card from dropping into the ST. I bet yours is missing. So, if you open make sure to put one on top like shown (this is the factory piece that I found on mine).unless its actually going under the board -- in which case put one there too. Remember -- the controller in this pic is upside down.
upload_2017-4-9_5-15-33.png

Without intending to be a smart a**, may I suggest picking up a pair of cheap reading glasses at the drug store? That may help prevent losing a third card.

If you open, you should see a piece of rubber/foam on top of the SD card slot. This is what's supposed to keep the card from dropping into the ST. I bet yours is missing. So, if you open make sure to put one on top like shown (this is the factory piece that I found on mine).unless its actually going under the board -- in which case put one there too. Remember -- the controller in this pic is upside down.
View attachment 5697

Great info. Thanks for posting. I'll check if I finally get it open.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atas77my