Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16 Not Powering Down Completely and Flattening The Battery

Reaction score
After doing a search I have seen this problem posted but a long, long time ago and couldn't find an answer.
After shutting down the transmitter, it shuts down as normal but reboots partially as if it is being charged - no fans operate and blue power light not on.
If the screen is touched the battery symbol shows.
After a few hours the battery is flat.
I have done a firmware reflash, etc. to no avail.
I tried with a new battery as initially I thought it was the problem.
Any suggestions would be really appreciated because I'm sick of disconnecting every time I'm not going to use it for a while

Did this occur while "charging" the ST16 using the stock charger (ie. the USB-to-microUSB cable that plugs into the TH charging base on one end, and the ST16 on the other end)? If so, try plugging the ST16 into a standard phone charger with microUSB, see what happens, and report the results back here.

I'll wait for your reply/results...but, I'm suspecting what you witnessed is the same thing that occurred to my ST16 after I installed the most recent firmware update (which I realize is many, , many months old, but I purposely held off as long as possible).

Interestingly-enough, if what happened with your ST16 is the same thing that occurred with mine, I'll let you know now that it's the same thing that had happened to countless others after they updated their ST16s to the most recent firmware. Making matters "worse", if what happened to your ST16 is the same thing that's happened with the rest of ours, Yuneec is well aware of the situation...but, at the same time, they refuse to do anything about it. They claim it's a "sporadic issue, with only a very minor number of units being affected". Kinda sucks, BIG TIME, especially when it starts occurring just slightly past the end of the warranty coverage.

Reactions: Andrew Grant
Could you not get it checked out? Possibly the usb socket is damaged giving a signal to the ST16 that a lead is still plugged in. Personally i'd get it repaired. Firmware hasn't been updated since March 2017. If not happy disconnecting the battery for storage, then repair is the only real option.

Did this occur while "charging" the ST16 using the stock charger (ie. the USB-to-microUSB cable that plugs into the TH charging base on one end, and the ST16 on the other end)? If so, try plugging the ST16 into a standard phone charger with microUSB, see what happens, and report the results back here.

I'll wait for your reply/results...but, I'm suspecting what you witnessed is the same thing that occurred to my ST16 after I installed the most recent firmware update (which I realize is many, , many months old, but I purposely held off as long as possible).

Interestingly-enough, if what happened with your ST16 is the same thing that occurred with mine, I'll let you know now that it's the same thing that had happened to countless others after they updated their ST16s to the most recent firmware. Making matters "worse", if what happened to your ST16 is the same thing that's happened with the rest of ours, Yuneec is well aware of the situation...but, at the same time, they refuse to do anything about it. They claim it's a "sporadic issue, with only a very minor number of units being affected". Kinda sucks, BIG TIME, especially when it starts occurring just slightly past the end of the warranty coverage.

Thanks for the reply.
I purchased the H480 used about 8 months ago and it already had the 'latest' fw installed.
I haven't used the Yuneec charger at all because most of the time the stock chargers for most rc's are junk. I normally use a Imax B6 charger for the rest of my quads and helli's.
It may be the USB port that is the problem because I actually used my iphone charger a couple of weeks ago and have had the problem since then.
I use an EvPeak DY3 for the 480 batteries.
Another PIA is that I'm in Australia and at this point can't 'just send it in' to Yuneec, but I will shoot them an email on Monday and see what happens.

Could you not get it checked out? Possibly the usb socket is damaged giving a signal to the ST16 that a lead is still plugged in. Personally i'd get it repaired. Firmware hasn't been updated since March 2017. If not happy disconnecting the battery for storage, then repair is the only real option.

Thanks for the reply.
You are probably right about the USB.
I'm aware that there hasn't been any updates - I reflashed just in case there was a 'Gliche'

Thanks for the reply.
I purchased the H480 used about 8 months ago and it already had the 'latest' fw installed.
I haven't used the Yuneec charger at all because most of the time the stock chargers for most rc's are junk. I normally use a Imax B6 charger for the rest of my quads and helli's.
It may be the USB port that is the problem because I actually used my iphone charger a couple of weeks ago and have had the problem since then.
Another PIA is that I'm in Australia and at this point can't 'just send it in' to Yuneec, but I will shoot them an email on Monday and see what happens.
There's a guy on here from Oz who owns a shop and knowledgeable about Yuneec, I believe Haydn is his name?

Yuneec are notorious for not responding to emails if what I've seen on this forum is anything to go by.
To be fair Yuneec UK so far have been pretty good, emails always answered and phone call always picked up, but they are in a smaller scale than US and EU I suspect.

Have you tried a different charging cable? How long are you leaving the charger connected?
When you connect the charging cable to the ST16, it activates the charging screen and fan for a few seconds. Any time you double tap the screen is will show the state of charge icon.

Yuneec are notorious for not responding to emails if what I've seen on this forum is anything to go by.
Got that right. During one scheduled tech support call dealing with one matter, the person told me, for another matter, if time wasn't "of the essence", I could submit a ticket for email support. So, I did...and the reply I received gave NO super, and merely told me to schedule a phone support session (which they only give you 15 minutes). When the TH first came out, you could call for support, and calls lasted as long as they needed to. Now (at least here in the U.S.), you have to schedule, in advance, a "callback support session". Even worse, when they call you, you have a VERY limited 15-minute window. At the end of your allotted 15 minutes, they'll 'politely' tell you your time is up, and that they have to go. Yuneec's U.S. super has gone from "very good", to "it sucks".

Have you tried a different charging cable? How long are you leaving the charger connected?
When you connect the charging cable to the ST16, it activates the charging screen and fan for a few seconds. Any time you double tap the screen is will show the state of charge icon.
Some have reported that the Yuneec lead seems to work the the best and other leads have caused issues. I think an IPad lead was mentioned.

Some have reported that the Yuneec lead seems to work the the best and other leads have caused issues. I think an IPad lead was mentioned.
True. The Yuneec cable has a slightly longer micro usb plug than many phone chargers. It is also a data cable so it can be used for charging and for accessing the ST16 when connected to a computer. Many phone charger cables are charge only, not data capable. But I have seen a few Yuneec cables stop working properly to charge. I suspect a wire gets broken inside from lots of flexing.

True. The Yuneec cable has a slightly longer micro usb plug than many phone chargers. It is also a data cable so it can be used for charging and for accessing the ST16 when connected to a computer. Many phone charger cables are charge only, not data capable. But I have seen a few Yuneec cables stop working properly to charge. I suspect a wire gets broken inside from lots of flexing.
Not true. The great majority of microUSB cables, including those that come with every cell phone are for says, as well as charging. Very few are 'charging-only'. It's misinformation like this that leads to confusing others.

Thanks for the reply.
HI Andrew Grant,
If it turns out that the charge port is buggered, I do have an extra St 16 that was purchased for team mode and don't use it at all and would be willing to sell it at a fair price. I am in Queensland and could send it to where ever, call me or PM if you require the St16. (Mobile 0412 735 913 ). Ithe won't be an arm or a leg price, I also have some parts for the St16, don't know about the charge port but will have a look around and get back to you.

With the cable not connected, after turning the TX off, the Yuneec logo appears, no fans and the charge icon comes up then disappears. Touching the screen brings up the charge icon again as if the cable is connected.

• Sad
Reactions: Steve Carr
Hi Andrew, have you pulled the St16 apart and cleaned the area with electrical contact cleaner, while you are in there give the pots a spray also and most of the switches and sliders. After that has dried before you close up hook up the charge cable and battery and see if the problem still exists. Do a bit of wriggling etc and observe if the problem starts and stops. Also don't forget the on off switch as I have had some of these that need a good clean or replacing. Johnno Hennessy.

To be fair Yuneec UK so far have been pretty good, emails always answered and phone call always picked up, but they are in a smaller scale than US and EU I suspect.
I agree. On the very rare occasion that I've had dealings with Yuneec UK I have found them to be very good at responding. Last time I rang them up they answered within just a couple of rings...I was gobsmacked! However, I believe the OP is located in the U.S.A where I gather that the story is starkly different.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal