Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

ST16S Android process failures...

Reaction score
Corvallis, Or, USA & Bonaire, Dutch Caribbean
Yesterday afternoon my ST16S started issuing the following warnings:
  • Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped
  • Unfortunately, Google Play has stopped
  • Unfortunately, launcher has stopped
When I turned the ST16S on this afternoon, the warnings continued but at a more rapid rate. I have removed the ST battery but problem continued after the battery was reinserted. Now, the ST basically stops at the first 'picture' splash screen and will not enter the flight control application and will also not allow me to enter the Android screen, either. I'll be starting a discussion with Yuneec CS ASAP.

If anyone has insights, or suggestions, bring them on! :)

This would happen on a Friday afternoon? I'm shocked :eek:

I don't even know if you could get to a factory reset through Android, but if you can't even get to that, it may be bricked. And of course, 8:00AM Monday is going to be the first time you'll be able to contact CS. :(

This would happen on a Friday afternoon? I'm shocked :eek:

I don't even know if you could get to a factory reset through Android, but if you can't even get to that, it may be bricked. And of course, 8:00AM Monday is going to be the first time you'll be able to contact CS. :(
I think it is bricked for now. Haven't found any hidden reset buttons on the ST. Hopefully there is a hidden handshake with the buttons, otherwise, it will be a week or two as I'll have to send it in. I already sent an email to CS (to beat the Monday morning rush) so hopefully I'm in the support line. Depending upon resolution time, it might make sense to have a backup ST16S...

I think it is bricked for now. Haven't found any hidden reset buttons on the ST. Hopefully there is a hidden handshake with the buttons, otherwise, it will be a week or two as I'll have to send it in. I already sent an email to CS (to beat the Monday morning rush) so hopefully I'm in the support line. Depending upon resolution time, it might make sense to have a backup ST16S...

Yuneec CS can be great if you play by their rules... don't bother with email, initiate contact and a case # by phone. Call by 8:10AM PT on Monday, to get in the queue for callback appointment. They'll walk you through some steps and if unsuccessful in resolving, issue an RMA. Many times with a bricking of the hardware, they will be willing to cross-ship a replacement rather than repair, so you have a minimum of down time. I had my first CGO3+ get bricked during an unsuccessful FW upgrade... I had a new, in the retail box, CGO3+ a week later.

Reactions: Barton
Maybe Yuneec is getting their act together. I got a response email (maybe automated) from CS within a couple of minutes of the email I sent. The email stated that they had opened a case number for me, gave me the support phone number to call, and provided a web link to their customer portal to allow me to create, view, and respond to cases online. I checked it out and sure enough, the case was there along with the details I had provided. This should make the process fairly smooth on Monday morning since we can deal with the details, not the case setup process.

Presently, I'm pissed off at Yuneec...
In total I have spent four hours on hold in order to talk with someone in CS. Spent two hours on Monday, finally got to CS. CS rep listened and then said he had to discuss with his manager if there was a way to hard-reset the ST. His manager was not at work so conversation ended. I tried again today, same two hour hold (In parallel I tried the 'call back' approach - never got an call). Got different CS rep, he looked at the notes and said they were waiting for screen shot pictures from me of the error messages, EXCEPT they didn't contact me (no phone, email, Case Number, nothing) letting me know they had shoved the ball back into my court. Of course, my obvious response is 'why do you need pictures?', do you think I'm lying to you? Guess the answer is YES. CS rep said I could use the middle (multi lined) button at the bottom of the display to get a screen shot. Then just plug the ST via USB into a PC and transfer the files. Of course, that didn't work 'cause the Android OS is tanked... So I used my smartphone and took the pictures and sent them in.

Now, I get to wait for them to send this info to their development team so they can decide how to resolve the issue... a couple of days minimum, who knows how long maximum wait. I'll give them until Thursday PM.

Only positive about the interaction was that the CS rep said that in the future, since I have a case number, that I could use the chat feature and wouldn't need to hang on the phone for a couple of hours to get a response. Guess we will see on Thursday...

Glad I got sidetracked by fixed-wing RC planes and simulators. At least I have something to fly... In retrospect, guess I should have waited for the DJI Mavic 2 1" sensor. This is what happens when one gets impatient...

@Barton very sorry to hear this. Looking back I always felt that there would be a few issues but, like you; took the chance to get a Plus and now we are seeing these issues emerge. My CCC doesn't work nor does follow me but so far I haven't run into your problems. Mickeyboo just reported some strange stuff and; it looks the the latest update is buggy. Great. I hope they get their $hit together and soon, and address these issues. I really think the plus is a superb platform but it HAS to work and be reliable. I hope Yuneec can get you back on track soon.

@Barton very sorry to hear this. Looking back I always felt that there would be a few issues but, like you; took the chance to get a Plus and now we are seeing these issues emerge. My CCC doesn't work nor does follow me but so far I haven't run into your problems. Mickeyboo just reported some strange stuff and; it looks the the latest update is buggy. Great. I hope they get their $hit together and soon, and address these issues. I really think the plus is a superb platform but it HAS to work and be reliable. I hope Yuneec can get you back on track soon.
Thanks Patrick!
Yesterday the CS rep made it sound like the resolution would be quick - figure out if they could reset Android or do a repair (but most likely a replace) RMA and I would be good to go. Now it is sounding like I get to be the guinea pig and an RMA replacement could take a while. Given that the ST is presently functionally bricked, why not at least do an RMA so they can mess with the unit - it is no good to me in its present state.

I do like the H+ (except for portability, but I knew that before the purchase). The stumbling on the updates is very worrisome - and I am confused as to why Europe sees the updates but not the USA...

At times I need to step back, take a breath and look at my broader picture. I'm getting stressed about a product that didn't cost any more than one good quality, but end of season retail discounted windsurfing slalom race board, of which I have more than one o_O . Time to chill, continue upgrading my fix-wing pilot skills and be ready when I have a functioning unit again.

My gut feeling is; we are the Beta Testers, Yuneec CS (US and EU) are probably seeing some of this for the first time and are going to need a little extra time to converse with Yuneec (China) and get the fixes. Like you, I think these things should work, right outta the box and; as a business owner myself I cannot understand how to put something out that is not right and if its not; be on top of the remedy immediately but, this is Yuneec. Looking forward to seeing these problems resolved and quickly.

More than Beta Testers, more than unpaid Beta Testers, early adopters are paying for the privilege... one aspect that is particularly disturbing is that with the OTA FW upgrades, you have little recourse in being able to rollback a buggy update.

My personal recommendation to anyone receiving an H Plus that was ordered or buying in-store to delay unboxing until these issues are resolved... particularly the gimbal hardware issue. Otherwise you'll end up with a crippled aircraft right out of the box, upon updating. Unfortunately many new members will not see this in time, as they make their first post titled... "What happened? My brand new H Plus is jacked and all I did was update! Help???"

Last edited:
More than Beta Testers, more than unpaid Beta Testers, early adopters are paying for the privilege... one aspect that is particularly disturbing is that with the OTA FW upgrades, you have little recourse in being able to rollback a buggy update.

My personal recommendation to anyone receiving an H Plus that was ordered or buying in-store to delay unboxing until these issues are resolved... particularly the gimbal hardware issue. Otherwise you'll end up with a crippled aircraft right out of the box, upon updating. Unfortunately many new members will not see this in time, as they make their first post titled... "What happened? My brand new H Plus is jacked and all I did was update! Help???"

Given my career experiences in product development, I can not feign a lack of understanding about a good product release process. What I am kicking myself about is not doing my homework on understanding Yuneec's (lack of a) good release process. I expected (in fact, I demand) that there would be FW updates (and actual beta testing not foisted off on the purchasing population) and I am SHOCKED, yes, shocked, that they have no process for rolling the FW back to a previous version. There is absolutely NO excuse for this. If they want non-volunteer beta testers, they need to provide a safer environment in which to test. No one in their right mind should volunteer to test a product release that might brick their system without having a process to rollback to a previous version. Once the buying public figures this out, Yuneec's 'beta testing' process should screech to a halt. Incidentally, one of the first questions I was asked by both CS reps was whether I had tried to do a FW upgrade before the errors started. I said NO. The fact that they were instructed to ask this question is rather telling...

If my memory serves me, the H was released in June 2016... it was the November 2016 FW release that solved many issues and introduced features like cruise control... at this time I think more patience is warranted, particularly since the changes in the user interface between the H and the H Plus are significant.

A good parallel would be when they updated Word 2003 to Word 2007, completely changing the user controls. Of course the down side, is that many long time users of Word were not happy about those changes... and if you were in an office environment, it's not as is if a corporation is going to reverse that kind of decision, even if the "new" version sucked.

For information, I monitor to not reach the maximum capacity of the ST16S.
Again this week, I erased all the screens, videos and photos saved.

It is rated 4.54 GB maximum and I have 3 GB of free

At times I need to step back, take a breath and look at my broader picture. I'm getting stressed about a product that didn't cost any more than one good quality, but end of season retail discounted windsurfing slalom race board, of which I have more than one o_O . Time to chill, continue upgrading my fix-wing pilot skills and be ready when I have a functioning unit again.

An unanticipated positive side effect of the bricked ST16S...
My wife asked me this morning about the ST16S status. I responded that it could be a week or a month before I'm back in the air with the H+, Yuneec doesn't have a clue. She responded by suggesting that there must be other companies out there that sell a product that would meet my 'requirements' :) and might have a better track record. I haven't really involved her in my acquisition of goodies for my new hobby, until now. We discussed the H+ and the travel portability issue. Cut-to-the-chase: the skids are now greased, and significant other approval freely granted, if I should desire to have a more portable UAV for travel (to Bonaire and elsewhere). DJI, bring on the Mavic 2 1" sensor details ;).

The ball is rolling again on getting the ST16S repaired/replaced.

Yesterday I suggested to CS (via the case website) that waiting for their development team to look a the error messages and divine a solution was going to be a timely fools errand. I preferred sending in the unit for repair/replace. Three hours later an email popped up from UPS Quantum View with a shipping label and RMA number :). A minute or two later a message from Yuneec arrived requesting that I ship back the drone, the camera, and the ST16S. I balked at sending in the H+ (drone and camera) since they were working properly and this seemed like an unnecessary risk. CS responded with the following:

Hello Barton,

We are having you send in your entire unit because, if unable to resolve the issue with your transmitter, we will be replacing the entire unit. If we are able to resolve it, our repair technicians will still put your entire craft through a flight inspection. If we can assist you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thank you,

So, the H+ and ST16S are now sitting at UPS awaiting shipment on Monday :). I am pleased that CS is willing to work with me in answering questions and being proactive in suggesting product replacement if appropriate.

My one additional request of them, either for the repaired unit or replacement unit would be for them to upgrade the FW and test for micro-vibrations before shipping the unit. Curious how they will react to this request :p.

The H+ and ST16S are finally on their way back to me, should arrive on Monday, Aug 27. Yuneec repair reflashed the OS, FW and inspected the system. Will be interesting to see what version of the FW they installed and if I now have gimbal vibrations. Will now read up on how to save the existing system and the process required to re-install the OS and FW (assuming this issue happens again).

Question for the group as a new member. Been flying the H520 with the ST16S controller and it prompted to do a series of FW and software upgrades over the controller. Things seemed to be going okay until it asked to do a TX (transmitter?) update. I let that sit for quite awhile and nothing happened except for the ST16S going dark but the blue power light staying lit. Eventually thinking something was awry, I switched the power off. Now when turning on the controller, I get the initial boot up to the first "Yuneec electrical aviation" screen and then all goes dark again. No access to the Android interface or DataPilot. Any suggestions?

Yesterday afternoon my ST16S started issuing the following warnings:
  • Unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped
  • Unfortunately, Google Play has stopped
  • Unfortunately, launcher has stopped
When I turned the ST16S on this afternoon, the warnings continued but at a more rapid rate. I have removed the ST battery but problem continued after the battery was reinserted. Now, the ST basically stops at the first 'picture' splash screen and will not enter the flight control application and will also not allow me to enter the Android screen, either. I'll be starting a discussion with Yuneec CS ASAP.

If anyone has insights, or suggestions, bring them on! :)
Back on August 3 I started this thread because the ST16S had basically bricked itself by going into a infinite reboot loop. I sent the entire H+ system back to Yuneec CS (at their request). Three weeks later I received the system back after they reinstalled the SW on the ST16S.

Today, EXACTLY THE SAME FAILURE MODE OCCURRED :mad:. I had a total of 16 flights on the H+ between failures. The good news is that the H+ didn't crash. I had just landed the H+ and about 30 seconds after landing, the ST16S started rebooting. Scary to think what might have happened if the H+ had still been in the air and the controller left it in a weird configuration... my confidence in the H+ is not high. Fortunately, I have the Autel EVO to fly (and have not had any issues with it).

I will open up yet another Case # for the ST16S. This time suggesting either they fix the hardware or send me a new ST16S as just reinstalling the SW clearly didn't fix the underlying problem.

Usually the Friday, of a Monday holiday weekend... :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio