Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Survey mode

Reaction score
I had a delightful morning with a local H520 owner and PfCO and I was showing how surveys work... The planned mission required 2 batteries and when the first battery got to 20% I pressed 'return home'. The ST16 scrreen put up a prompt 'remove mission from craft, leave on craft or restart mission at point 473' the drone landed and we turned it off to change the battery. Whe nthe drone powered back on, the controller had lost the mission and the 'restart at???' prompt disappeared. What have I missed, this worked before the updates at the end of January?

Hi Oscar

I was about posting exactly the same question! I recently purchased an H520, passed my Class 1 RPAS pilot exams in Belgium and now started to test with the survey mode.

Until the update of February 8th, I could switch batteries of the H520 while leaving the ST16S on without crashing or restarting the datapilot app. Since the last update, every time I change the battery of the H520, the datapilot app restarts.

I had set up a survey area in de mission planning and the app said it required 1 battery. After about half of the mission, the battery was 30% so I gave the command to return to land. It gave me the option to continue the mission from the last flown point but if I wished to do that, I could not switch off the datapilot app if I wanted to continue the mission. Unfortunately, the app crashes and restarts itself every time the drone is switched off now so it is impossible to fly a mission which needs more then one battery. After restarting the H520 and the datapilot app, the mission was ready to start from 0 but now it did say that it needed 2 batteries to complete it.

Besides this annoying issue, I also have problems with my E50 camera. When it is level, it flies smooth, when I tilt it down to an angle of 25degrees, it stutters up and down continuously, when I lower it to 45 degrees, it is better but still stutters, when I lower it to 90 degrees it is again better. I made a video of it flying slow, recorded in HD, 50 frames per second with a shutter speed of 1/100 second and send that to my supplier. Wonder what they think it is and how they will solve it. They first said it are probably the dampers as I said they are dent once the camera is hanging under the drone, but even with new dampers, the camera still pulls dents in them immediately from the moment the camera is attached to the H520.

I really hope they fix this bug and E50 issue soon because like this the H520 is not usable / trustable as a professional system.

Good luck!

Cheers
David

Hi Oscar,

I will try to help ... Sorry if my english is not so fluent sometimes.

Exactly the same happend to me ... the DataPilot was not resuming the mission after a battery change and like you, I am sure there was a time he continued the mission after a battery change automaticly. On Top, DataPilot crashed each time, when trying to sync a mission.
To get help I called Yuneec Germany ... It was a very pleasant and helpfull call.

Since the last Update there are some deep changes, that Yuneec does not mentioned :mad::mad:

First of all they told me i have to remove the flightmode app, since this app is for the H+, runs in the background, interferes with the DataPilot and is responsible for the crasching ... So, remove it. If there ist no flightmode app on your st16+ .... ok. thats good ... Just go on with the next step.

Second if you call the H520 back (RTL, Manual or automatic) and you get the promt "Leave Mission on vehicle, Remove Mission from Vehicle, Resume Mission from Waypoint Nr. .... " select "Resume Mission from Waypoint Nr. ...." ..... after a while he will show you the Mission with the remaining Waypoints. Anyway wait for a shor time. Now you can Power off the H520 and change the battery .... the DataPilot maybe restarting now .... thats ok.

After changing the battery, Power on the H520 and now be patient .... Wait till the H520 completely connected with the st16+ by itself ... that may take a while, but it happens.

Now he is exchanging informations with the st16+ about the last mission. When this process is completed, the st16+ will ask you if you will start the mission. Thats correct. in contrast to earliere version the mission with the remaining waypoints is a "NEW" Mission for him. Therefor the Question "Will you start the Mission" (Theres no Question "Will you Resume the Mission" after a battery change anymore)

Same procedure after the second and so on batteries ....

To solve this problem it costs me two days and several calls to yuneec.

I hope I could help ....

Greetings Marc

McMurph,

Thanks for such a comprehensive and concise explanation. I tried it yesterday and it all seems to work as you describe. I've converted the original H520 manual into a Word Document so I can update it with my own updates so I will include these in my next batch of updating.

Oscar

Reactions: Mc-Murph
Hi Oscar,

I will try to help ... Sorry if my english is not so fluent sometimes.

Exactly the same happend to me ... the DataPilot was not resuming the mission after a battery change and like you, I am sure there was a time he continued the mission after a battery change automaticly. On Top, DataPilot crashed each time, when trying to sync a mission.
To get help I called Yuneec Germany ... It was a very pleasant and helpfull call.

Since the last Update there are some deep changes, that Yuneec does not mentioned :mad::mad:

First of all they told me i have to remove the flightmode app, since this app is for the H+, runs in the background, interferes with the DataPilot and is responsible for the crasching ... So, remove it. If there ist no flightmode app on your st16+ .... ok. thats good ... Just go on with the next step.

Second if you call the H520 back (RTL, Manual or automatic) and you get the promt "Leave Mission on vehicle, Remove Mission from Vehicle, Resume Mission from Waypoint Nr. .... " select "Resume Mission from Waypoint Nr. ...." ..... after a while he will show you the Mission with the remaining Waypoints. Anyway wait for a shor time. Now you can Power off the H520 and change the battery .... the DataPilot maybe restarting now .... thats ok.

After changing the battery, Power on the H520 and now be patient .... Wait till the H520 completely connected with the st16+ by itself ... that may take a while, but it happens.

Now he is exchanging informations with the st16+ about the last mission. When this process is completed, the st16+ will ask you if you will start the mission. Thats correct. in contrast to earliere version the mission with the remaining waypoints is a "NEW" Mission for him. Therefor the Question "Will you start the Mission" (Theres no Question "Will you Resume the Mission" after a battery change anymore)

Same procedure after the second and so on batteries ....

To solve this problem it costs me two days and several calls to yuneec.

I hope I could help ....

Greetings Marc
I updated firmware Saturday for Sunday missions and had the same issue. In the field, i reprogrammed my mission into multple small missions, the size of one battery each mission. This saved the day but was very agrevating. Glad to hear of your resolution. I will be trying your suggestions today.

Last time i flew a survey and tried to stitch the pictures together with dronedeploy, I made a very frustrating experience.

The conditions where excellent ... nearly no wind and around noon, flying at 30m height (around 98 Foot) with an overlap of 75%.. After finishing the survey, I got home and uploaded the pictures to drone deploy .... dronedeploy showed all points (The georefernce seemed to be correct) ... So far, so good. Much earlier than calculated dronedeploy finished the map ... The result was worse, only some isolated pictures ... no whole map.

Ok, I thought there was something werong, can happen .... So i went back to the place, checked the settings (they all were correct) .... uploading the pictures to dronedeploy ... same result as before ... dronedeploy crashed ... only some pictures.

Now I took a closer look on some surveys before the update and their corresponding pictures ... same height, same velocity, same overlaßp and nearly same conditions.

The pictures before the last Update were all sharp, since the Update there ist so much motion blur in the pictures, no wonder dronedeploy and even pix4d are crashing.

Thats very frustrating .... good work Yuneec :mad:? At the moment i am really frustrated. Is it only my experience or did someone experienced the same ?

I will do 3 extremely controlled surveys today ... and will have a closer look. But at the moment I think I have to call Yuneec again.

Tell me your experiences with surveys since the last Update.

Greetings Marc

Last time i flew a survey and tried to stitch the pictures together with dronedeploy, I made a very frustrating experience.

The conditions where excellent ... nearly no wind and around noon, flying at 30m height (around 98 Foot) with an overlap of 75%.. After finishing the survey, I got home and uploaded the pictures to drone deploy .... dronedeploy showed all points (The georefernce seemed to be correct) ... So far, so good. Much earlier than calculated dronedeploy finished the map ... The result was worse, only some isolated pictures ... no whole map.

Ok, I thought there was something werong, can happen .... So i went back to the place, checked the settings (they all were correct) .... uploading the pictures to dronedeploy ... same result as before ... dronedeploy crashed ... only some pictures.

Now I took a closer look on some surveys before the update and their corresponding pictures ... same height, same velocity, same overlaßp and nearly same conditions.

The pictures before the last Update were all sharp, since the Update there ist so much motion blur in the pictures, no wonder dronedeploy and even pix4d are crashing.

Thats very frustrating .... good work Yuneec :mad:? At the moment i am really frustrated. Is it only my experience or did someone experienced the same ?

I will do 3 extremely controlled surveys today ... and will have a closer look. But at the moment I think I have to call Yuneec again.

Tell me your experiences with surveys since the last Update.

Greetings Marc
If your pics are not sharp and getting motion blur, that sounds like the camera is not shooting fast enough. Check your settings and check the EXIF data of one of the pictures from the survey. Here is a sample from a survey I shot yesterday:

Hi 10-8,

for that reason I set my cam to .jpg only, but I will have a look on the Exif-Data. Good Hint.
With fast enough, you mean the shutter time, right ?
Did you have the last Update on the H520 ... also to the cam ?
Are there any problems with your survey, like I experienced ? Which Program do you use ?

Greetings Marc

Last edited:
Problem solved at last ... It was my fault.

With the last Update Yuneec implemented to zoom in the picture by pinching the display of the ST16s. As a result the images are taken with this "Zoom"factor. The silly thing about this is, there is no hint if the Zoom is active or not or if you take "normal" Pictures. On Top the "Zoom"factor seems to be saved and is active till you manually go back to "1.0x" . Even if you power off the ST16s, it still takes effect on the next start. If you are not aware of this, it's a good way to ruin your pictures.

In my case I found out by random, that the "Zoom"factor was somewhere about 1,4 .... not really enough to realise it, if you are not looking for it, but enough to make stitching impossible :mad:. Would be great, if there were somewhere a notification about this "Zoom"factor.

Maybe this Post can help others to avoid such a situation .... @Oscar another hint for your Manual :)

It cost me a lot of time and several tests to solve this Problem. I wish Yuneec would improve their communication and tell us a bit more about their changes in the updates, the Possibilities and also about such things like above.

Its annoying and time consuming to find Solutions for some problems by yourself .... Yuneec, there is Potential to get better ??

Greetings Marc

Reactions: arruntus

I wish Yuneec would improve their communication and tell us a bit more about their changes in the updates, the Possibilities and also about such things like above.

?? don't we wish,?

With the last Update Yuneec implemented to zoom in the picture by pinching the display of the ST16s. As a result the images are taken with this "Zoom"factor. The silly thing about this is, there is no hint if the Zoom is active or not or if you take "normal" Pictures. On Top the "Zoom"factor seems to be saved and is active till you manually go back to "1.0x" . Even if you power off the ST16s, it still takes effect on the next start. If you are not aware of this, it's a good way to ruin your pictures.

In my case I found out by random, that the "Zoom"factor was somewhere about 1,4 .... not really enough to realise it, if you are not looking for it, but enough to make stitching impossible :mad:. Would be great, if there were somewhere a notification about this "Zoom"factor.

Maybe this Post can help others to avoid such a situation .... @Oscar another hint for your Manual :)

It cost me a lot of time and several tests to solve this Problem. I wish Yuneec would improve their communication and tell us a bit more about their changes in the updates, the Possibilities and also about such things like above.

Its annoying and time consuming to find Solutions for some problems by yourself .... Yuneec, there is Potential to get better ??

Greetings Marc
Sorry, I'm not clear about this. Are you saying the applied zoom is fed back to the images stored in the card on the E90?

Yes, you have to be awpare of this. Otherwise it can can be a Problem.

Greetings Marc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval