Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Swollen Battery Disposal Or Recovery?

Reaction score
One off my batteries has the swollen panels and it's bad enough where I'm sure it's shot. Is it safe whatsoever to try and keep using it? I'm thinking it's not so will have to dispose of it I'm sure. How/where do you guys dispose of bad batteries?

I have seen where someone referenced a sticky here of optimum battery care but can't find it. Can someone please point me to that thread please? Thank you.

A swollen battery is a dead battery. If you continue to use it, it could fail, or make it impossible to remove from your H without disassembly. I ould, and have, dispose of it immediately

Here are the instructions found on the ThunderPowerRC website:

** DISPOSAL OF LIPO BATTERIES **

Unlike NiCd batteries, lithium-polymer batteries are environmentally friendly.
For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however,
if physically damaged it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal –
see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal
instructions. To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting
in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery.
Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.
3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff
voltage to the
lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the
capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A,
and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) can be used,
such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs as long as the discharge current doesn’t
exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition.
For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V , connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating
of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack)to the pack’s positive and negative terminals
to safely discharge connecting it to an ESC/ motor system and allowing the motor to run
indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or
lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid,
but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold
water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water.
Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water, wrap it in newspaper or paper towels and
place it in the normal trash. They are landfill safe

Can you still get it in and out of the aircraft without undue force?

If so, send a photo. The TH batteries are noted for the label getting a pucker, but the battery will be fine. If it is just the label it can be easily depressed with a finger.

If the battery is swollen to the point it will not fit into the battery bay with ease then follow the advise given by @ChuckBridges.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I had one just recently swell up a bit more in flight, had to wait until it cooled down to get it out. ?

I had one just recently swell up a bit more in flight, had to wait until it cooled down to get it out. ?
How hard could it be? A swollen battery should always stay on the ground. But for sure, it's a personal choice.

How hard could it be? A swollen battery should always stay on the ground. But for sure, it's a personal choice.
I purchased 8 batteries from Drone by Venom, the first 8 swelled up with in 4 months.
They replace all 8. :)The second set of 8 batteries swelled up in 7 months,:mad: I had been using their "Venom Typhoon H Quad Charger.
I think that was the culprit, it wasn't charging properly.
I now have two DY3 chargers.
Yep I took my chances with the swollen battery. It's now so swollen, it rocks back and forth. Haven't used it since.

One of my TH batteries has also swelled. With only 7 flights, seems a little premature for the battery to go bad isn't it? I've always used the Yuneec charger that came with TH and I'm pretty good about not over extending the battery and land the TH well before the ST-16 starts vibrating.
I have since switched to my Venom Pro Quad Charger for my remaining good batteries and haven't had any issues yet.
Could the stock TH charger be causing all this grief for everyone?

Where the stock charger fails is that there is no storage charge mode so the batteries are rarely kept at a proper voltage for storage. The OEM charger does a decent job of balance charging and does not exceed the 1C charge rate for the batteries. That said it is not a good long term solution to battery care and should be replaced with a good quality charger that can provide balance, storage, and IR reading for at least LiPo batteries (although most at that level can be used for a variety of battery types).

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
OK, I know the subject of battery swelling or puffiness is controversial and there are different opinions about whether it indicates a bad battery or not. This is my opinion, based on several years of using LiPo batteries in my drones as well as other RC models - feel free to have a different opinion.

First of all, the term "swelling" is very subjective and doesn't necessarily indicate reduced performance. A slight "soft" puffing of the wrap is what I am talking about, however, if the swelling is very pronounced so that it protrudes beyond the case dimensions and/or is firm, that may be cause for concern.

I currently have 4 original Yuneec Typhoon H batteries and each has a minor degree of "swelling", and all are performing basically as new. One of these batteries, actually #1 was unfortunately in my first H480 when in April 2017, it had what I call a UFIT or Uncontrolled Flight Into Terrain. It was caused by a corrupt ST16 with zero stick control and would not land, so it just kept flying until the battery had nothing left.

It did not go into auto land as the controller signal was locked in a full throttle toilet bowl up to 1008' AGL, but nearly in the same location above me. So, finally the props stopped and it came down very hard from about 300' into the corn field about 400' away with expected results. As I saw it gradually loose power and start to descend, I briefly thought I could catch it, but then remembering the gravitational constant, realized that would have been a fatal mistake.

Anyway, I ran to the crash site, the H beeping and dim lights flashing, pulled the battery. I sent in the telemetry to Yuneec and they said to send the remains of the H and the ST16 without H batteries to the repair centre. Yuneec covered the incident 100% and sent me a new H480 Pro complete kit. So, I had the depleted battery (#1) and the second battery in hand when I got the fully replaced H480 Pro kit.

Looking at the telemetry, the crash battery (#1) had been drawn down to 8.8volts, but bounced back to a measured 12.5v. The battery had minor swelling and I thought I would try to "revive" it. (I am not going to say how this is done because I don't recommend it and it doesn't always work). In this case it worked and was brought back to about the original performance.

That battery has been flown for 9 flights since that incident and the last flight was over 16 minutes a week ago. I constantly monitor the charge data on all batteries including each cell data. This battery is still good, but the key is monitoring the health of the battery. Other batteries of mine have slight puffiness but are still healthy. Minor swelling or puffiness is not necessarily an indication of a bad battery, you need to get the true battery health from a good charger.

As has been said many times on this forum, one of the most important thing you can do for your batteries is to always put them in "storage" mode after a flight, to do this get a good multi-chemistry, multi-function balance charger that has at a minimum; charge, discharge balance and storage functions.

There are many on the market, I use a few but my favorite is an older but very high function Hyperion 720i EOS Super Duo 3. It can report all the charge data of a battery, including mah input, peak volts, volts/cell, battery IR, and IR/cell. It has 20 customizable programs.

Sorry for the long post, and I realize this subject is controversial, but that is my experience. Here is a photo of the charger, #1 "crashed" H battery and a second #3 which has never been over discharged.

Attachments

• IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    444.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1864.JPG
    IMG_1864.JPG
    343.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DoomMeister
Yuneec's standard H charger is good enough to safely balance charge your batteries, nothing more... nothing less. But that is all it does... and taking care of your batteries to extend their life, requires more than that basic balance charge feature. Yuneec's perspective is, they will be happy to sell you as many new batteries as you need.

And to the OP original request on the LiPo sticky...

LiPo Battery Care

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33