Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Swollen battery stuck in the TPH+

Reaction score
I used an old battery to do my compass calibration, but when i tried to remove it its so swollen that it is stuck into the Typhoon H+.

I already let the Typhoon H+ and battery cool down. But it is for the moment very hot by day 34 degrees celcius. Also the nights only cool down to 20 degrees celcius.

we even tried it with 2 persons: one holding the typhoon H+ and the other one trying to pull onto the battery and it moved a little bit, it moved 20mm and then it is stuck again. We even tried with tools but it wont barge.

Help does someone has an idea

Marnix

Before you resort to tools or disassembly, I'd put the whole thing in a chest freezer for a couple of hours... Obviously take off the camera. :eek:

Reactions: Barton
You might want to consult a person familiar with electronics, but cars now have as much electronic circuitry as any other device these days, and they are designed to operate under sub-freezing conditions. I think other than potential damage from removal, your biggest risk is condensation when the aircraft is warming back up to room temperature.

If attempting this I would do it is a couple of steps, to make that warm up as gradual as possible... freezer to a refrigerator to a warm dry room for a couple of days... to dry out completely any condensation moisture, before trying to power up. Unfortunately it would take that long to see if the aircraft powers back up.

It goes without saying that any of this would void any warranty on the H+ but I do not think that having a older battery swelling, would be a warranty covered circumstance in any event.

No i have it in the H plus but because the H520 uses the same batteries and is build alike i also posted it in the H520 forum

1. Remove the camera from the H+
  2. Put the H+ in a plastic garbage bag.
  3. try to remove as much of the air as possible from the bag (even use a vacuum cleaner to suck some of the air out).
  4. seal the bag
  5. put in refrigerator or freezer to cool it down (most materials shrink as they get cooler).
  6. remove from refrig or freezer but DO NOT open the bag.
  7. While the H+ is still cold, try removing the battery with bag still sealed (use battery latch to pull on battery).
  8. If successful, let unit warm up while still sealed in the bag (in order to reduce condensation inside the H+). Once condensation is gone, remove H+ from bag
While the H+ has temperature limits, I believe these are OPERATING temperature limits and a mostly dictated by the operating temperature of the battery. The temperatures found in a freezer should not harm modern electrical/electronic components.

i put it for 10h in the fridge the swelling is less but it seems that the plastic of the battery itself is stuck now.
I think i have no other solution then to open the shell en find my way to the battery compartiment and try to push it out of there
But for the H480 you find a lot of videos that explans how to do a teardown, but for the TPH+ or H520 there are none

i put it for 10h in the fridge the swelling is less but it seems that the plastic of the battery itself is stuck now.
I think i have no other solution then to open the shell en find my way to the battery compartiment and try to push it out of there
But for the H480 you find a lot of videos that explans how to do a teardown, but for the TPH+ or H520 there are none
It should be the same. The 520 is a sister to the Plus. The 480 is the cousin. The assembly of main outer parts are identical across all three.

When you're able to get the battery out, can you post a picture so we can also see how swollen it is/was?
Also can you do a recording so we can listen how pleasant you were while dissembling?;) bleeping out the expletives.:rolleyes:

Good news after disassembling and a liitle force i could push the swollen battery out ...
As you can see its completely deformed !

Attachments

• DSC00220.JPG
    DSC00220.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 63
  • DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 60
  • DSC00222.JPG
    DSC00222.JPG
    7.7 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC00219.JPG
    DSC00219.JPG
    7.8 MB · Views: 53
Reactions: ECKEROTH
Good news after disassembling and a liitle force i could push the swollen battery out ...
As you can see its completely deformed !
So I’ve had GiFi batteries do this. There are actually 8 cells sandwiched in there which doesn’t help. They don’t like heat at all. Hopefully, the reassembly went well. You may be the first to look inside a Plus. Did you take any pictures?

I bought 2 new GiFi Power batteries 8050mA and one of them went slightly puffy after the second charge, but not quite as bad as this one

I noticed my original H battery was swollen a bit. I am considering now to use pin to puncher the plastic part to let our some of the pressure. I don't know if its a good idea. Any thoughts.

Very bad idea. If you puncture the film covering the battery it can burst into flames. Puffy batteries are not a problem that can be resolved by reducing internal pressure. They can only be resolved by discarding the old battery and replacing them with a new or better one.

Reactions: rdonson
I noticed my original H battery was swollen a bit. I am considering now to use pin to puncher the plastic part to let our some of the pressure. I don't know if its a good idea. Any thoughts.

For the safety of yourself and those around you read this thread thoroughly:

Lipo Battery Care

Home Depot is one place I know of that accepts batteries (even LiPO) and CFLs for safe disposal. There may be other businesses that do this as well.

As Pat says do NOT puncture a LiPO battery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33