Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Swollen battery stuck into Typhoon H

Reaction score
I used an old battery to do my compas calibration, but when i tried to remove it its so swollen that it is stuck into the Typhoon H.

I already let the Typhoon H and battery cool down. But it is for the moment very hot by day 34 degrees celcius. Also the nights only cool down to 20 degrees celcius.

we even tried it with 2 persons: one holding the typhoon H and the other one trying to pull onto the battery and it moved a little bit, it moved 20mm and thenn it is stuck again. We even tried with tools but it wont barge.

Help does someone has an idea

Marnix

The main advice I can give you is the bleeding obvious - don't put anything in there that could pierce or rupture the pack, obviously...
But unless you wait longer to see if it will go down if you get it somewhere cool (a fridge maybe?) and it does, getting that out of there is probably going to involve some disassembly.
I have seen tech breakdown videos for the H, but all of them were going in from the top as far as I remember - hopefully some of the crew here will be able to you advise you more specifically about getting to the base of the unit.

I will read your replies with interest, and hope you can get that out of there with minimum hassle...

Ah OK, then this post is in the wrong place - H+ has its own section - mods will probably move that for you...

@AeroJ
Try putting the H in the refrigerator, maybe the battery will deflate enough to get it out?

Or wrap it with a plastic trash bag and set bags of ice on and around it.

You might also try disassembling the battery latch at the back of the battery.

Are you saying a new H plus battery is puffy or you put in an old 480 style battery? I have not disassembled the Plus yet for warranty reasons. You’ve got a stuck battery that could potentially destroy your plus if it punctures. From what I can see, the cage holding the battery is designed the same as the 480. You’d have to take apart everything through main board to free up that battery cage. If you can pull it back enough to disconnect power, that’s at least a little safer.

Is it width puffy or top/bottom puffy? If it’s top/bottom and you can expose battery in frame, you may be able to squeeze it together enough to pull out. If it’s width, then it probably cracked the case open which is what’s binding it inside. You might be able to slide a flat blade (butter knife maybe?) down the sides and get the plastic to push in enough to slide out.

If you take it apart, I recommend lots of photos as you go and use multiple colored sharpies to mark the connectors male and female ends differently.

Are you saying a new H plus battery is puffy or you put in an old 480 style battery? I have not disassembled the Plus yet for warranty reasons. You’ve got a stuck battery that could potentially destroy your plus if it punctures. From what I can see, the cage holding the battery is designed the same as the 480. You’d have to take apart everything through main board to free up that battery cage. If you can pull it back enough to disconnect power, that’s at least a little safer.

Is it width puffy or top/bottom puffy? If it’s top/bottom and you can expose battery in frame, you may be able to squeeze it together enough to pull out. If it’s width, then it probably cracked the case open which is what’s binding it inside. You might be able to slide a flat blade (butter knife maybe?) down the sides and get the plastic to push in enough to slide out.

If you take it apart, I recommend lots of photos as you go and use multiple colored sharpies to mark the connectors male and female ends differently.

It was an old 480 style battery

The power is disconnected i could pull it back around 20mm but then it is stuck

Which side is suspect? The soft top and bottom or the hard sides? My experience is top puffy usually gives enough to slide out. Bulging sides gets very stuck. It’s new obviously as the Plus just came out. If you call Yuneec they will unfortunately probably give you trouble over putting that battery in there. Perhaps an inert lubricant like a small amount of silicone spray down the sides? Then grab the back of the battery with good large channel locks and start a two person steady and deliberate tug of war...

If that seems too risky then disassembly is your only strategy left.

So I’ve examined my Plus. I cannot see anything different in how it’s assembled from the 480. I think if the shell is removed, you could release pressure on the battery holder and it would slide out. It’s about a two hour job. There is no wires under any labels like the 480 antenna in back on original versions so I think if your careful, no one would know you took it apart. The RS module is meant to be removed and that’s four screws and one connector. Any good video on breaking down a 480 would be a valid tutorial.

I don’t think the outer shell is any different between the 480 and the Plus except they dropped GPS molded into top and the label says plus...

I’m trying to reach Yuneec today as I don’t see they accepted my Plus registration. I intend to ask about the shell as I hate the hard to see grey color and always paint my birds. I’m thinking Enterprise Shuttle look this time. Also, I’d like to adjust pan and tilt response and want to know if we will get back end control editing like the normal ST. So, if they will allow me to paint the shell and not void warranty, I might be taking mine apart today.

If the battery is still stuck
Take a can of silicone spray or electrical contact cleaner with a straw on the nozzle and spray the 4 sides of the battery starting with very quick small amounts push the battery back in again then try to remove
Repeat a couple times if needed
Hope it works

Update....Yuneec as expected stated any screw removal voids warranty...so you’ve got a conundrum for sure.

So I’ve examined my Plus. I cannot see anything different in how it’s assembled from the 480. I think if the shell is removed, you could release pressure on the battery holder and it would slide out. It’s about a two hour job. There is no wires under any labels like the 480 antenna in back on original versions so I think if your careful, no one would know you took it apart. The RS module is meant to be removed and that’s four screws and one connector. Any good video on breaking down a 480 would be a valid tutorial.

I don’t think the outer shell is any different between the 480 and the Plus except they dropped GPS molded into top and the label says plus...

I’m trying to reach Yuneec today as I don’t see they accepted my Plus registration. I intend to ask about the shell as I hate the hard to see grey color and always paint my birds. I’m thinking Enterprise Shuttle look this time. Also, I’d like to adjust pan and tilt response and want to know if we will get back end control editing like the normal ST. So, if they will allow me to paint the shell and not void warranty, I might be taking mine apart today.

To open the shell do you not have to remove those small screws (2 per arm) ?

Update....Yuneec as expected stated any screw removal voids warranty...so you’ve got a conundrum for sure.

There is no other solution.

i have had a H480 and never had to use the warranty.
Even, i have to use it and in 4 months its also gone teh warranty
so ...

You’ve got yourself in a pickle where if finesse can’t do it you’ll have to use more force or disassemble it.

Good news after disassembling and a liitle force i could push the swollen battery out ...
As you can see its completely deformed !

Attachments

• DSC00220.JPG
    DSC00220.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC00221.JPG
    DSC00221.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 35
In theory, the lower voltage of a standard H battery will result in a greater amperage draw, than the H Plus batteries. This will in turn, create more heat generation... which will accelerate the chemical processes that cause swelling. Maybe a caveat against saving a few bucks re-purposing H batteries? Or at least, just keeping the H batteries reserved for non flight functions?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech