Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Telemetry Distance

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a simple question about range of the H520 - ST16. I'm working on a project, mapping a lake shoreline. Fairly straightforward, I've got it broke out into sections to make it easier to process. The area I'm mapping is in visual site, the lake and shoreline have no real obstacles for line of sight from the base unit. Today I did a test flight, so I can figure what will work best for this project (height, overlap etc).
I have the flight plan set up for about 1600' each direction from the home point where I'm located. The bird gets out 1400' and I start getting the warning "fail safe mode enabled, RC connection lost". The bird does continue and finish the mission, and actually processed in PIX4D well.
Does this mean I am at the extent of the RC range? I admit this is further than I've flown it before, and I recently bought a ITELITE range extender, which I though would make it out at least 2000'.
It's a new drone, bought a few months ago.
Any help or input about the message and any possible ways to fix it would be appreciated.

I have an H, both roughly the same drone, just a few better mods on the 520. I've been out as far as1700' could have gone a bit more, but then it's starts to look a bit small. That also was on a windless day.
What warning?

Reactions: Prince R Harden
The ST16 starts with the announcement "fail safe mode enabled, RC connection lost". It stops saying it after it gets closer. The good thing is that it does continue flight, and finishes the mission.
I wanted to hear other folks experiences, and if there was anything else I can do.
Thanks

Interesting. I have an H+ with a ST16S, same as the 520 uses. Last weekend I did a little test. Flew straight out at 300 feet AGL. Lost video link .at ~2,500 feet. Went to 3,000 feet out where were it not for the strobes I was using I would not have been VLOS and still had full control with the exception of the video feed.

Manually flew back, regained video at about 2,200 feet out. I was using the mushroom 5.8GHz antenna.

Okay, I need to figure out how to use the mushroom 5.8 ghz antennae... I know when I'm using my RTK GPS equipment the link is better with the higher bandwidth, but seems to be more susceptible to getting stepped on by other users.
Any simple links to find it? I'm being lazy here.

I am talking about the one that came stock on my ST16S.
You might try the 4Hawks Raptor antennas. People seem to like them. Technically not legal to use, but the FCC seem unwilling to enforce their rules and a large number of people are using the antenna with no issues from any authority.

Keep in mind that maximum signal on the 2.4GHz control antennas is off the sides. The ends, if pointed directly at the drone will be a null.

I understand. I just can't figure out where the setting change is to switch the bird between using the 2.4 or 5.8 ghz bands. I imagine it's in the advanced menu option. I haven't looked yet

I understand. I just can't figure out where the setting change is to switch the bird between using the 2.4 or 5.8 ghz bands. I imagine it's in the advanced menu option. I haven't looked yet

You misunderstand. The control frequency for flying is on the 2.4GHz band.
The video control for viewing the feed on the controller is on the 5.8GHz band.

You cannot, and would not in any case want to, swap them around.

I have an H, both roughly the same drone, just a few better mods on the 520. I've been out as far as1700' could have gone a bit more, but then it's starts to look a bit small. That also was on a windless day.
What warning?
Well hello everyone. Every once in a while I come by and I listen to everyone talk about trial into relations with the T H. Well I have a T H and I have been testing it for the last six months. It came from the factory clocked for as distance 2 1/2 miles. fighting a 15 mile now when. wit my extenders I get full and a half miles.

I can ask for no more than that thanks guys I don't do this often I just listen . Ray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval