Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Temperamental Drone

Reaction score
It seems about every time I go out and fly the H520 has a new trick up its sleeve. Yesterday it was the E90 camera that for some reason was shooting fine and then it decided to start swirling around, shuttering radically finally taking a shot of the bottom of the drone while still shaking. I had to land, shut everything down and reboot. It seemed to be fine the rest of the shoot. It started about 45 seconds from the time I started recording and I had already taken a few other videos from other locations on the site. I hadn't removed the camera, so electrical contact shouldn't have been the issue and I didn't do anything to it except restart and it was fine. On previous outings I sometimes end up with video files that show that the SD card has information on it, but when I attempt to open it say card is unreadable, but if the card was unreadable I wouldn't be able to access the other files on the same card. So I don't know if I have captured a shot or not until I try to open on my computer back at the office. There have also been times when the video keeps shutting off while filming even though I haven't pushed the shutter button. I have had two other drones and I haven't ever experienced such a temperamental drone. There are a lot of things that I like about the 520, but it can be very aggravating and it is hard to develop much trust as to being able to get what you want when doing a shoot.

The last firmware update appears to have introduced a whole number of new bugs again unfortunately. I have not had the above problem happen yet with the E90 but I have had the exact same thing happen with the files on the SD card with the E50, corrupt images that are either garbage or unable to open. I have seen Youtube video showing what you describe with the E90 swirling around, again this seems to be a bug in the new firmware. All we can do is pray these are addressed in 1.4 which they say is due soon, but don't hold your breath for it.

It seems about every time I go out and fly the H520 has a new trick up its sleeve. Yesterday it was the E90 camera that for some reason was shooting fine and then it decided to start swirling around, shuttering radically finally taking a shot of the bottom of the drone while still shaking. I had to land, shut everything down and reboot. It seemed to be fine the rest of the shoot. It started about 45 seconds from the time I started recording and I had already taken a few other videos from other locations on the site. I hadn't removed the camera, so electrical contact shouldn't have been the issue and I didn't do anything to it except restart and it was fine. On previous outings I sometimes end up with video files that show that the SD card has information on it, but when I attempt to open it say card is unreadable, but if the card was unreadable I wouldn't be able to access the other files on the same card. So I don't know if I have captured a shot or not until I try to open on my computer back at the office. There have also been times when the video keeps shutting off while filming even though I haven't pushed the shutter button. I have had two other drones and I haven't ever experienced such a temperamental drone. There are a lot of things that I like about the 520, but it can be very aggravating and it is hard to develop much trust as to being able to get what you want when doing a shoot.

I had a similar result during a recent mapping exercise. I don’t trust the platform at the moment as I have zero faith in the programming thereof...

Reactions: Snagglesworth
The last firmware update appears to have introduced a whole number of new bugs again unfortunately. I have not had the above problem happen yet with the E90 but I have had the exact same thing happen with the files on the SD card with the E50, corrupt images that are either garbage or unable to open. I have seen Youtube video showing what you describe with the E90 swirling around, again this seems to be a bug in the new firmware. All we can do is pray these are addressed in 1.4 which they say is due soon, but don't hold your breath for it.

I haven't flown the E50 but one time so I don't know if it will have same problem. It is just difficult to have any confidence at this time. I am getting so I like flying it for the most part. I just wish the platform would be more reliable.

I had a similar result during a recent mapping exercise. I don’t trust the platform at the moment as I have zero faith in the programming thereof...

I haven't tried doing any mapping with the 520 as I have had connection dropping issues. I just received a range extender in hopes that it will help with keeping connection to camera. It has dropped connection several times when I haven't been more than 300 feet from controller. I am a little disappointed in the drone's range to date. I am not one that likes to fly out of line of site, but I am not sure that I could map a 20 acre parcel without losing connection. I need to get a little more confidence before I send it out very far. Thanks for your reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech