Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tethered H?

Reaction score
Hi, anyone on the forum working with a tethered H? If so, which brand and what experiences can you tell us.
Best from Sweden

Last edited:
Hi, anyone on the forum working with a tethered H? If so, which brand and what experiences can you tell us.
Best from Sweden
Hello.
I'm an authorized reseller of Hoverfly Technologies Typhoon H Power Tethers made here in the USA.
I lease complete systems, which include tethers.
You may email me directly [email protected]
Thanks Much.
Matthew Gordon

Best from Sweden
One thing to keep in mind is that it can be very expensive to do this. So unless you have a pile of business lined up for a static Typhoon H, it may be cost prohibitive. Pricing if I remember starts at around $4000 US and goes up from there. I looked into it myself months ago, but could not see having enough of that kind of work lined up in few years to pay it off, let alone one year of solid work to do it. You would be doing some pretty specialized work for sure.

The training, safety and security the system provides can be priceless. I lease complete systems including training and certification, so my business is mostly local. We're starting a community of first-responders that are pilots so our experts are ready for the next generation!

One thing to keep in mind is that it can be very expensive to do this. So unless you have a pile of business lined up for a static Typhoon H, it may be cost prohibitive. Pricing if I remember starts at around $4000 US and goes up from there. I looked into it myself months ago, but could not see having enough of that kind of work lined up in few years to pay it off, let alone one year of solid work to do it. You would be doing some pretty specialized work for sure.
Hi Murray, you are right abouit $4000. I have two H's already. I have done a quick market research from fifty potential customers and there are opportunities to go break even with four $1000 for each completed tethered assignment. Today I achive, in average, $650 mainly from real estate brookers, construction companies and a very few surveillance assignments. But I want to find a reseller in Europe or even better in Sweden or in Stockholm...:) where I live...

Agreed on a job by job basis, it's not practical for making straight profits. We're using it to limit risk and prevent dangers posed by off-tether ops. Local municipalities have been receptive so far.

Matchy, did I missunderstand you? Why can't you / we making profit on a job by job basis? With a $4000 investment you should på able to break even after 4-6 assignments.

Hoverfly right here in Orlando. I like the concept. yes expensive but fun to have. ✈

Yes. I definitely share your enthusiasm for profits. Your math sounds correct but I'm being conservative. I got my first unit in late August, and I haven't been able to line up that many persistent assignments. Most of my potential customers have no idea what a power tether does or how it delivers value to them. I'm working hard just educating our local law enforcement and fire training centers.

Yes. I definitely share your enthusiasm for profits. Your math sounds correct but I'm being conservative. I got my first unit in late August, and I haven't been able to line up that many persistent assignments. Most of my potential customers have no idea what a power tether does or how it delivers value to them. I'm working hard just educating our local law enforcement and fire training centers.
Matchy, just produce your own promotion tetherd drone video, bring your IPad and show your potentional customers. They will love you and open their wallets!

Last edited:
The military figured out that for great fixed position persistent surveillance a tethered balloon is both cost and mission effective.

The military figured out that for great fixed position persistent surveillance a tethered balloon is both cost and mission effective.
A balloon, with new helium for every assignment.. What's the total cost for let's say ten missions? A tetherd drone for ten missions will cost about $400 / mission.
How wind sensitvie is a balloon? It can't cope with gusts.

Last edited:
Reactions: BroVari
Multiple tethers keep them stable enough for extremely nice imagery and they stay up for many days at a time in Afghanistan. Helium replenishment can be pretty easy by employing a remotely operated helium canister on a balloon/heliostat. Defining the mission is pretty important. Will the mission be measured in hours, days, or weeks. For anything but the the first one the balloons win. They are also used in border surveillance here in the U.S. Their tether lines run up several thousand feet. Balloons can also carry much larger payloads with much better imaging capabilities. It's really hard to justify the complexity and limitations of a multirotor for long endurance tethered missions.

This post is starting to drift away from the original topic ;) Let's get back on topic and away from a balloon filled with helium as we all know these two are not related. Tethering a drone would require a land based power source such as the Hoverfly or other systems that are out there.

I realize you can stay up indefinitely, How long would you recommend before the motors get to hot?
Also my son is a police officer over in Tampa Florida area, he has lots of connections, I like to present this video if there is interest with a department. Where was this done?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj8me