Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Things to Ponder

Reaction score
It appears to me that my Q500 Climbs faster than it decends? Do other owners feel this way? My up and down stick has about the same range according the the hardware check.

When I take off with a full Yuneec battery indicating 12.5 V why does it drop to 12.0v in the first 40 sec. Within 1 min 10 sec it is down to 11.8. I have been getting about 15 min until first yellow at 10.7V with video running and light winds.

If you have flat land with no obstructions what is a reasonable expectation for distance with the bird? insight always. Light winds and 75 degree day. Altitude 150 ft. Standard Antenna.

The max ascent rate is 3m/sec and the max descent rate is 2m/sec so your observation is right on. The reason for the slower descent rate is to prevent the copter from entering VRS, vortex ring state. That is a condition where the props enter there own prop wash and loose lift generally resulting in a crash. You can see it happening if you descend straight down with no wind. The Q will start to wobble. That is very close to disaster. Always keep some lateral movement when you use the max descent. You can go left and right as you come down or come down in a corkscrew. It's much safer.

When climbing the battery is supplying max power and the voltage will drop quickly. You can try to climb a bit slower and see if the battery drain isn't as drastic. It's like a fast takeoff from a stop sign. Uses more gas than a slow takeoff. I'm always getting ready to land when the battery is around 10.8 v. Overall, 15 min is an ave flight time. Maybe a bit longer with slow flying and lower altitude.

Last edited:
That voltage number must be for the H I would assume? When my Q500 batt gets down to about 10.8 I start thinking about landing soon.
(Edit by Steve: Thanks. I corrected the typo.)

How do you feel about that question on range/distance? Thanks for the reply Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that the Video Distance for the stock setup is about 1000' max and that is being conservative without any obstructions. You will loose the WiFi Video signal before you loose control of the bird. So visual line of site is important. That bird looks really really really tiny at 1000' out. So if you loose video signal that far out you better make sure you can see the orientation of the bird so you can fly it back. These are my observations.

Thanks. Would not want to lose control so I have not been beyond 500 ft yet.

On another note, going back to a previous question, how does the aircraft decend? Or climb for that matter? Does the motor speed simply decrease when you bring the stick back to the down position and increase when you climb?

There was one occasion where I flew out to just over 2000' climbing to 400' up a hillside and I still had video. I looked down at the controller and I lost sight. When I turned to come back I lost video. I just turned until the green arrow was facing straight up and then used right stick forward to bring it home. When the arrow is facing up the nose is looking at you. Or you can simply move the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing and it will bring it back to you.

I am thinking of turning the GPS off and practicing controlling it. Good idea or bad??

I am thinking of turning the GPS off and practicing controlling it. Good idea or bad??
It's a good idea. I suggest removing the camera and pick a day with light or no wind. Might want to stay in turtle mode. Remember the Q will not stop and hover when you let go of the sticks. It will keep moving until You stop it.

Ok Steve. Curious why to remove camera? In case of crash?
Yes, exactly. And you want to keep the H close enough to maintain the orientation.
One thing I have never tested is the green arrow with GPS turned off. I have seen the suggestion that the arrow will still function. If you do a test flight you might want to check it and let us know what you find.

There was one occasion where I flew out to just over 2000' climbing to 400' up a hillside and I still had video. I looked down at the controller and I lost sight. When I turned to come back I lost video. I just turned until the green arrow was facing straight up and then used right stick forward to bring it home. When the arrow is facing up the nose is looking at you. Or you can simply move the right stick in the same direction the arrow is pointing and it will bring it back to you.

Steve, that is one of the most, if not the most valuable tip I've seen since monitoring this site. THANKS!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yatharthhospital