Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

This is how IPS works

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rayray

IPS, part of the RealSense module assembly, has been and still is the subject of a lot of confusion, questions, and wrong information here on the forum. We have been trying to get Yuneec to provide us with answers and today they came through.

First the facts. IPS does not work with RealSense collision avoidance. IPS is only for lighted indoor use where there will be not enough GPS satellites to lock GPS (the one exception is that outdoors it will prevent landing with the legs up). You cannot switch IPS on and off, only the craft can do it.

Here's how: indoors, let the craft initialize. Leave GPS on, OA off. Use Angle Mode. Wait until it quits looking for Sats (although the craft may see several Sats they will not create a "Lock"). Hit the red button to spin props. At this point, the ST16 screen will show no SATS, and zero co-ordinates.

Lift off. Immediately the IPS icon will appear on the top right of ST16 screen, even at only a foot or two high. It will NOT appear until you lift off.

Recap: Yes, I know this raises questions. Why this and not thus? We know is that IPS is a work in progress, as is the RealSense itself. No doubt Yuneec is working to improve the function and usability of IPS.

IPS (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: horizontal
View attachment 4226 IPS, part of the RealSense module assembly, has been and still is the subject of a lot of confusion, questions, and wrong information here on the forum. We have been trying to get Yuneec to provide us with answers and today they came through.

First the facts. IPS does not work with RealSense collision avoidance. IPS is only for lighted indoor use where there will be not enough GPS satellites to lock GPS (the one exception is that outdoors it will prevent landing with the legs up). You cannot switch IPS on and off, only the craft can do it.

Here's how: indoors, let the craft initialize. Leave GPS on, OA off. Use Angle Mode. Hit the red button to spin props. At this point, the ST16 screen will show no SATS, and zero co-ordinates. Wait until it quits looking for Sats.

Lift off. Immediately the IPS icon will appear on the top right of ST16 screen, even at only a foot or two high. It will NOT appear until you lift off.

Recap: Yes, I know this raises questions. Why this and not thus? We know is that IPS is a work in progress, as is the RealSense itself. No doubt Yuneec is working to improve the function and usability of IPS.

Would you mind if I add this info to my manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are welcome to anything on this forum to use in the manual.

So is IPS a separate module? Or part of real sense?

Also what's the smallest amount of space to test this out?

So is IPS a separate module? Or part of real sense?

Also what's the smallest amount of space to test this out?

It was planned as a separate module from real sense. The standalone version was canned. The only way to get it is with real sense

Reactions: yerrickl
I know the name says "Indoor" - but does this help at all with locking in position outdoors when you're not too high off the ground? To help avoid drifting (since GPS isn't completely accurate for minor few feet drifts) ?

RayRay thanks for the info, question, in system setting there is a realsense installed tag. Some has been swithed this on and some have it off. In my H is was off. I read that switching it on enables an extra chip for calculation. Any idea on this how it works ??

IPS, part of the RealSense module assembly, has been and still is the subject of a lot of confusion, questions, and wrong information here on the forum. We have been trying to get Yuneec to provide us with answers and today they came through.

Here's how: indoors, let the craft initialize. Leave GPS on, OA off. Use Angle Mode. Hit the red button to spin props. At this point, the ST16 screen will show no SATS, and zero co-ordinates. Wait until it quits looking for Sats.

View attachment 4227

There's one problem with this explanation; sometimes indoors you will get a couple of satellites 'locked' even though they may not be a 'good' lock.

So you're saying unless you don't get any satellites, the IPS can't be used indoors ???

This is probably a dumb question (I know IPS is for indoor flight) but...What does it do? I'm not looking for the theory behind it but the actual result. In other words, if I flew my H Pro indoors with it switched off what functionality am I losing? Will it fly differently, will I have less control over flight behavior, etc.?

This is probably a dumb question (I know IPS is for indoor flight) but...What does it do? I'm not looking for the theory behind it but the actual result. In other words, if I flew my H Pro indoors with it switched off what functionality am I losing? Will it fly differently, will I have less control over flight behavior, etc.?

It is supposed to lock on the patterns in the floor/ground below and hold the drone laterally stable above that. Note that another thing it does outside is that it will prevent the drone from landing with legs up.

There's one problem with this explanation; sometimes indoors you will get a couple of satellites 'locked' even though they may not be a 'good' lock.

So you're saying unless you don't get any satellites, the IPS can't be used indoors ???

No it comes on if it cant get a stable lock im pretty sure... in other words anything under 6? or 7 sats? I think... or at least that was how it was explained to me elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpster79