Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

THP RealSense is not working properly

Reaction score
I bought this drone on Dec 24, 2018. It was broken a week later and Yuneec agreed to fix it under warranty. Since then, I have to send my Typhoon H Plus back to Yuneec 3 more times for various problems (Drifting badly, Camera noise and shaking, RealSense not working properly). Each problem was seen as soon as I made the first flight after I got it back. I really don't know if the Yuneec Technician have done the test flight and check for every thing before it's send back to me.

I posted all of those problems that I have experienced with on "Yuneec Typhoon H - Official Owners Group", the Moderator did not happy about it. So he just banned me from that Facebook group.

Anyway, every time I report the problem, the customer service always take it back without any question and promised to expedite the repair. Despite of that it will take 12-14 days for each time I send back to Yuneec. Hopefully some day, Yuneec will use Air shipping for faster turn around.

Here is the latest problem

Looked to me like you were flying “into the sun”, or with the sensors facing bright sun light. This is a condition that has been noted to be problematical with Real Sense as the bright sun light confuses the sensors. So stopping when directly facing bright sun light is not an uncommon or unexpected condition. It has been pretty well documented among users and not something that might be resolved anytime soon.

As it’s not relevant to the issue I won’t inquire as to why you have Real Sense engaged when no obstacles will be encountered.

Looked to me like you were flying “into the sun”, or with the sensors facing bright sun light. This is a condition that has been noted to be problematical with Real Sense as the bright sun light confuses the sensors. So stopping when directly facing bright sun light is not an uncommon or unexpected condition. It has been pretty well documented among users and not something that might be resolved anytime soon.

As it’s not relevant to the issue I won’t inquire as to why you have Real Sense engaged when no obstacles will be encountered.
The Sun is on the right side of the drone.

And "why you have Real Sense engaged when no obstacles will be encountered" -- This is for testing purpose. And there is nothing wrong when you activated the RealSense all the time, right?

Just an observation,
When accelerating hard your propellers came into view, I'm wondering if OBS is sensing that and causing it to stop?

I had this happened to me, and I wrote about in the thread “Help” and thanks for reminding me. I have to update everyone who replied in that thread.

Mine stops every 3 seconds during forward flight on a cloudy day, no matter which direction it was facing.

I will share with you my solution, and if you are willing to fix it yourself, you will need.

1) Eraser.
2) DeoxIT Contact Cleaner. I used the liquid, instead of spray.
3) Dust spray.

Basically, you will need to disassemble the RS, and clean its contacts ( the camera contacts as well as gimbal)
Blow air to the cooling fan of the RS, don’t go crazy, just blow gently. After you’ve clean everything, assemble them back together.

Reset your ST16s and manually rebuild your current BUILD/FW
(If you are flying an older build, later than 822) make sure to recalibrate everything. Gyro, RC and during RC calibration make sure your make sure your K2 and K3 sliders are in the middle position, and the last calibration will be your IMU, make sure the IMU is cold (not refrigerated) I would say 15°c, calibrate on a level surface, use a water level and put on your H+ (if you have calibrated your H+ you will get a clear idea of what I mean on how to use a water level. Made a square water level and place on top of the top cover)

Good luck..

Just an observation,
When accelerating hard your propellers came into view, I'm wondering if OBS is sensing that and causing it to stop?
When the props come into view, as that is what the camera sees with quick forward motion, people think the two are related and they are not. It's a common mistake people make when seeing footage and thinking because you see it in the footage the RealSense is reacting to it.

The camera is able to pan and tilt seeing whatever it is pointed at, but the OBS sees only what is in front of it. The OBS is mounted stationary as are the props, the camera is on a gimbal so one has no effect on the other. There has been some discussion as mentioned by @PatR about the sun causing the OBS to think there is an object in front, but what the camera sees will never cause the issue.

@RPR has the best solution for the OP's question. People rarely do the type of cleaning on a regular basis that is required after a flight.

Hopefully this clears that up for you.

Reactions: AH-1G and RPR
When the props come into view, as that is what the camera sees with quick forward motion, people think the two are related and they are not. It's a common mistake people make when seeing footage and thinking because you see it in the footage the RealSense is reacting to it.

The camera is able to pan and tilt seeing whatever it is pointed at, but the OBS sees only what is in front of it. The OBS is mounted stationary as are the props, the camera is on a gimbal so one has no effect on the other. There has been some discussion as mentioned by @PatR about the sun causing the OBS to think there is an object in front, but what the camera sees will never cause the issue.

@RPR has the best solution for the OP's question. People rarely do the type of cleaning on a regular basis that is required after a flight.

Hopefully this clears that up for you.

Thanks, Murray. Maintenance is good for our machines in remaining healthy.

Reactions: Murray Martz
And there is nothing wrong when you activated the RealSense all the time, right?
Activating your Obstacle Avoidance/RealSense slows down your rates (control response) and makes the aircraft sluggish and sometimes jerky. Not that there is nothing wrong with that, but there is nothing desirable about it either.

Activating your Obstacle Avoidance/RealSense slows down your rates (control response) and makes the aircraft sluggish and sometimes jerky. Not that there is nothing wrong with that, but there is nothing desirable about it either.
Yes, I understood. But in this case I just try it out and the result is the RealSense is not working properly. We knew that THP includes RealSense and we paid for that, so why not check it out or use it when ever we wanted.

Reactions: RPR
I have exactly the same issue with a brand new H plus, only flown 4 times. First test of realsense obstacle avoidance today and the drone stops randomly.
Possible solutions:
1. Sell the realsense module or
2. Fly backwards
I think I will contact Yuneec as my solutions are very silly

I have exactly the same issue with a brand new H plus, only flown 4 times. First test of realsense obstacle avoidance today and the drone stops randomly.
Possible solutions:
1. Sell the realsense module or
2. Fly backwards
I think I will contact Yuneec as my solutions are very silly

Yes, contact Yuneec. My RealSense problem is fixed by Yuneec HQ in California.

Yuneec UK customer services ignored two emails. So I have got a refund from Amazon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hendrtiz