Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tiny Montage filmed in Austria | Critics very welcome

• Thread starter Deleted member 8817
  • Start date
For a guy that has no experience, it's a lot better that a pile of guys I know with experience. A few too many fast cuts and too many hard cuts, but other than that you are on the right track. I'd just work on the editing and watch for the shadow of the drone in the shots. Don't want people distracted by the shadow and have it draw away from the footage.

Looking forward to your next one.

I see you found lots of little tricks to do in editing. It makes for a fun video.
I suggest you try setting the camera to gorgeous to see if that improves the color. I've found setting up the camera to get the best video is one of the more difficult jobs since I'm not an expert in cameras.

I see you found lots of little tricks to do in editing. It makes for a fun video.
I suggest you try setting the camera to gorgeous to see if that improves the color. I've found setting up the camera to get the best video is one of the more difficult jobs since I'm not an expert in cameras.
I almost want to let him edit some of my footage. And being his first time, it's going to be scary what he will be able to do when he learns more Premiere Pro

Reactions: Steve Carr
I almost want to let him edit some of my footage. And being his first time, it's going to be scary what he will be able to do when he learns more Premiere Pro
Haha......I was thinking the same when viewing it. The ace is when you can use the tools to make it interesting without overdoing it. Keeping it short is number one.

Reactions: Murray Martz
First of all, thanks for all the Feedback, the coummunity is awesome here.
@Steve Carr
Thank you for the hint about the camera setting. I was just using raw because i somewhere read, that this is the best option for further editing. Might be that i ruined the colours with my editing though, i was just randomly trying out various adjustments without any clue what they are good for (Youtube Tutorials on colour grading weren't that helpful since).
As soon as I have time I'll try to get some more shots with more interesting motives, since I learned the basic controls and got a feeling for what's possible and what not.
Perhaps shooting photos in raw is better for editing, but video with rich colors doesn't usually need much adjusting so you can concentrate on the scenes and effects. Also it's best to lock the white balance at the time you make your camera settings. This is a good video on settings:

First of all, thanks for all the Feedback, the coummunity is awesome here.

@Murray Martz
I totally agree with you about the number of the cuts, i might have overdone it a "bit", i just had so little usable footage and so many new things that i wanted to try, that i got carried away :D
Also your note about the shadow is really helpful, i never thought about that, i'll definitely take care next time.

@Steve Carr
Thank you for the hint about the camera setting. I was just using raw because i somewhere read, that this is the best option for further editing. Might be that i ruined the colours with my editing though, i was just randomly trying out various adjustments without any clue what they are good for (Youtube Tutorials on colour grading weren't that helpful since).

As soon as I have time I'll try to get some more shots with more interesting motives, since I learned the basic controls and got a feeling for what's possible and what not.
I think part of the key to it is also going out and getting as much stock footage as you can. This way you will have a lot of stock footage to pull from. Another thing to keep in mind, do passes of what you are filming from multiple angles, heights, speeds and directions.

Glad you are able to enjoy your new hobby, and with what you are learning, you will probably be able to get into a market that will give you some income. Keep your best shots over time and make yourself a reel to showcase what you can do. One thing I learned about photography and videography over the years, keep everything, never know where it will come in handy.

Murray

Reactions: Steve Carr
...<snip>... Keep your best shots over time and make yourself a reel to showcase what you can do. One thing I learned about photography and videography over the years, keep everything, never know where it will come in handy.

Murray
I agree completely with this.
I have every photo and video footage I've shot since January 2015 stored on an external hard drive and I recently produced a new showreel (last week actually) using some footage shot two years ago!

Beautiful country! We have just come back from a great ski holiday in Alrberg, wished I had my Typhoon there!

I like it. In fact I like it a lot. You did a great job of moving the scenes with the music. That keeps the piece interesting and holds your attention. Length is perfect.
The colors are much better, but it looks washed out on my monitor. I'm an amateur but maybe adding more contrast and a bit more brightness will bring it to life.
I'll open a conversation with you to give you a couple of links for music. But you did a wonderful job using what you had available.

@Steve Carr
@Murray Martz
Here's my second video. I tried to take all your suggestion into account. The video was shot in gorgeous setting (i'm quite happy with these), with locked white balance. I did not touch the colours but i did add one of the Kodak Looks from Premiere Pro. I also tried not to overdo the editing as in the first video. I'm not quite happy with the music though, but it's very hard to find good license free music, do you have any suggestions?

So no more talking, here's the link, tell me what you think ;)
You are so on the right track. Steve summed it up. Personally I have not seen anyone take so quickly to editing a video and have such a dramatic change in what they have produced. Keep doing what you are doing. Make subtle changes as you move forward, and each change will be better and better. When I teach people photography I always tell them one simple thing. It doesn't matter how good or expensive your camera is. It also doesn't matter how good the editing software is. The real proof is how good you are. A competent photographer will see what they want, the rest is just icing on the cake. You are taking to it naturally, and to me, that is rare.

@Steve Carr
@Murray Martz
Here's my second video. I tried to take all your suggestion into account. The video was shot in gorgeous setting (i'm quite happy with these), with locked white balance. I did not touch the colours but i did add one of the Kodak Looks from Premiere Pro. I also tried not to overdo the editing as in the first video. I'm not quite happy with the music though, but it's very hard to find good license free music, do you have any suggestions?

So no more talking, here's the link, tell me what you think ;)
Yeah. I think you've about nailed it. Indeed to a point that I find difficult to criticize without nit-picking. Well done.

Colors are much better and I really like the way you change scenes with the music. Excellent job. You have reached that threshold where you will be your own critic. Your instinct will tell you when to change or undo something or how adjust saturation, contrast and brightness for the best results.

@Steve Carr
Thank you so much for the music links, those were very helpful *thumbs up*
Also thanks for the feedback, i tried to improve the colour in my next video with the tips you gave me, maybe it's better now.

@Murray Martz and FlushVision
Gracias for the kind words, that is really motivating!

Im finally getting more and more confident with the H, this week i tried flying over a river for the first time, unfortunately (or not?) the weather started to change quickly and a thunderstorm came up so i had to leave quite early, however, i think i got some pretty good shots though. I got to admit, i wasn't feeling well with the H flying over the river, especially with the thunderstorm approaching, but after looking at the footage i would absolutely do it again. Since i had a bit of time left i created another video, if you are interested check it out:
That was stellar! The way you snap to the music, and the color blend was smooth. I really enjoyed the end shot with the fast straight downward and fade. I use to be a lighting tech many years ago for some North American recording artists. One thing you had to learn quickly, was how to make a transition from different parts of the music with the lighting to help create an emotion for the audience, you are doing that with your work. I remember my first over water flight, it's a do or die time as you feel it may go down, but really it's no different than land, other than you need to really to be mindful of your battery over open water. I think you are going to have a very nice collection of clips at the end of the year.

@Steve Carr
Thank you so much for the music links, those were very helpful *thumbs up*
Also thanks for the feedback, i tried to improve the colour in my next video with the tips you gave me, maybe it's better now.

@Murray Martz and FlushVision
Gracias for the kind words, that is really motivating!

Im finally getting more and more confident with the H, this week i tried flying over a river for the first time, unfortunately (or not?) the weather started to change quickly and a thunderstorm came up so i had to leave quite early, however, i think i got some pretty good shots though. I got to admit, i wasn't feeling well with the H flying over the river, especially with the thunderstorm approaching, but after looking at the footage i would absolutely do it again. Since i had a bit of time left i created another video, if you are interested check it out:
Excellent video, Burning After. I couldn't have done better myself. I loved how you cut it. Nice shots of the lightning strikes too, although I personally wouldn't have flown with a thunderstorm in the area.
I've been editing UAV footage for a few years now and that video is at least as good as I can manage. Kudos.

Regarding flying over water. I'm not comfortable flying over water either. I do do it, but would prefer to be over good old solid earth if I have the option.

Well done you.

Leopards tanks?.......That is like waving a jelly donut in front of a policeman, who wouldn't want to see that!

I am always scouting locations no matter where I am, good habit to be in. I will take photos with my phone and GEO tag or add a voice note to the image. Use pins on google maps as well. Even just filming every time you are up gives you a pile of stock footage to draw from.

...<snip>...
I just have one questions left, what are your 'tactics' for finding interesting locations, are you just looking on google maps and using your local knowledge or do you have some special way of 'scouting'?
I've pretty much done to death all of the accessible interesting places around where I live so if I go fly those places again I know what I'm in for and only need do a cursory assessment. However, if not doing a commercial job, I use Google Earth Pro to find any good places to fly but when i'm looking for places i'm also looking to see if there's anywhere to park my car or motorcycle within 'my' walking distance. This is important to me since I have some arthritis in my hips and knees. Then if I identify a good place I'll check Altitude Angel to check for NFZs or danger areas. If that checks out I'll go and fly it.

If it's a commercial job then all of the above but I usually go and do a site and risk assessment if I can a few days before the planned flight. It's at that point that I decide which of my aircraft I'll use for the job.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss