Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

To boldly go alone...

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks so much for the help this forum provides. So many qualified people here and it's great to learn more everyday. We all are aware how lucky we are to have such an amazing camera platform in our possession. When I first started flying camera drones, I learned so many things the hard way and have the broken parts ( I prefer to think of it all as spare parts) to prove it.

As this forum demonstrates, there are many things going on between you and the H that you can't always pay attention to or react to quick enough to avoid a problem or error. It's amazing how well Yuneec has responded to most of us in repairs that they could just say sorry you crashed.

What I want to know is how many people here take a real spotter along who has been empowered as a copilot should something happen to you? I'm going to use my Q500 as a trainer so I can "certify" my spotter myself. My best work has been when I had someone else to help me track, frame, monitor, and give feedback in real time (branch!) and behave like a film crew with a goal in mind. This has allowed me access to areas that if I was alone might have been a no but when you show up all prepared and look like you mean business, you can push more for permission because you have a flight plan and a crew. Perhaps this could help the folks in more urban areas as well as us surrounded by the military and national parks. Here in AZ, state parks are a grey area so I ask the attending ranger if I can access for a nature shot. I believe our profession should be one where we ask permission first rather then beg for forgiveness later for the long term future of our field.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have been training a VO for 107 work. It really helps to have another with you that understands how things work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 others in my flight crew one is a pilot working towards his CFI and the other is a VO for me with binoculars in the event of a malfuntion

I have 2 others in my flight crew one is a pilot working towards his CFI and the other is a VO for me with binoculars in the event of a malfuntion

Do you take another video monitors with you? And if your spotter follows with binoculars can you still see it if the spotter tells you where to look? I'm asking seriously because one of the biggest challenges is keeping an eye on it when level flying out towards hills or mountain sides as it gets very hard to distinguish from the flora and fauna. I end up climbing to see it agains sky horizon and tend to "chicken out" in name of safety. After reviewing video I'm always realizing I was actually pretty safe and could have pushed further. I have some jobs that require going in a ways to hold and shoot and want to practice a protocol. I have been offered a chance to fly some hidden petroglyphs on private land that is not accessible by foot in the rock formation they are on. I learned a lot on the last trip and we are coming to the right winter light again for a return.

Next up... what's the rate when you have a crew...

Do you take another video monitors with you? And if your spotter follows with binoculars can you still see it if the spotter tells you where to look? I'm asking seriously because one of the biggest challenges is keeping an eye on it when level flying out towards hills or mountain sides as it gets very hard to distinguish from the flora and fauna. I end up climbing to see it agains sky horizon and tend to "chicken out" in name of safety. After reviewing video I'm always realizing I was actually pretty safe and could have pushed further. I have some jobs that require going in a ways to hold and shoot and want to practice a protocol. I have been offered a chance to fly some hidden petroglyphs on private land that is not accessible by foot in the rock formation they are on. I learned a lot on the last trip and we are coming to the right winter light again for a return.

Next up... what's the rate when you have a crew...

We don't take other video monitors wiwth and my spotter has good eyes and just uses the binoculars to confirm direction or led color, but I'm adding flytron leds wwhich they say will be vissible for 3 miles (required for FAA night flight). The spotters job is to never take eyes off of it as once you loose it it can be very hard to find as you know

We don't take other video monitors wiwth and my spotter has good eyes and just uses the binoculars to confirm direction or led color, but I'm adding flytron leds wwhich they say will be vissible for 3 miles (required for FAA night flight). The spotters job is to never take eyes off of it as once you loose it it can be very hard to find as you know

Please keep us informed of how the LED works and if you can post any links or install tips it would much appreciated. Thank for the answer. That helps confirm that if I want a video extra I need a third person. I'm going to look for the right binoculars now to add to the field kit. Do you find zooming on the binoculars helpful or is best to used fix focal lengths to keep an understanding of depth perception relative to distance? I've been thinking perhaps a good strobe light on top of the H could work but I was concerned with interference from the strobe pulsing by the GPS module as that's the obvious spot to mount something. I put a metallic sticker there and experienced GPS drop and loss of control so bit paranoid about obstructing that spot.

We keep them at a fixed focal length. The leds shouldn't create any problems ,but I'll let you know when they get here from England

We keep them at a fixed focal length. The leds shouldn't create any problems ,but I'll let you know when they get here from England
Thanks.

I'm still waiting for them to get here, I didn't think it would thake this long from England, but it also took them about a week to ship them. I paid extra for airmail

If it helps, I've fitted Strobons to an Inspire on each leg - close to the antennas and ESCs. Carried out static and dynamic tests with no props - no problems. Then flew - still no problems. Have carried out an intensive operation at London Heathrow in an area surrounded by metal buildings and potential interference- all with no problems. Hopefully you'll meet with similar success.

I'm still waiting for them to get here, I didn't think it would thake this long from England, but it also took them about a week to ship them. I paid extra for airmail
I am in UK, if you need anything from here please ask. If they don't mail to US I can buy and forward for you.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanx. they do ship to the US it is just taking for every. I choose to pay extra for Air Mail which they say will take 5-8 days . that was back on Dec 20. The tracking says it left Fox Valley WI on Dec 27, which is about 300 miles from here. I guess someone is walking them here

Reactions: mcbutler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt