Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Tornado h920 plus motor #5 error

Reaction score
So I purchased this h920 plus from a eBay store new condition, I flew it twice the day it arrived no problem at all. Today I went for a fly and as soon as I went to take off it started acting strange so I immediately landed it and I got a motor #5 not working. So I reset everything and still the same thing #5 isn't working. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

So I purchased this h920 plus from a eBay store new condition, I flew it twice the day it arrived no problem at all. Today I went for a fly and as soon as I went to take off it started acting strange so I immediately landed it and I got a motor #5 not working. So I reset everything and still the same thing #5 isn't working. Any ideas would be great. Thanks
I'd check it out with the GUI. You might have a ESC that's fubar.

Last edited:
Motors are relatively easy to replace, wire connections require about the same amount of effort, but there are a lot of screws to remove to get there. If the problem is an ESC there is only one solution, replace the main board since the ESC components are integrated with the board. Checking an ESC requires a voltmeter to check the output side of the ESC for signal and power. Downside of doing that is the working space between traces is small and shorting a trace kills the ESC. Each ESC also has its own fuse. PITA any way you look at it.

Use the GUI to establish there is a problem before doing anything else. Photos courtesy Seabee.

Attachments

• Power Distribution Board.jpg
    Power Distribution Board.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Upper Shell_1.JPG
    Upper Shell_1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Is the motor actually not working or is it just the error message telling you so? If the motor is running, you might have mounted an incorrect propeller.

It is also possible to mix them on the H920 Plus. Since they are only screwed onto the mounting plate you simply have to mix them up during assembly.

I am not sure if it is also possivle to incorrectly mount them with enough force. On DJI it does work. I once bought a "defective" Spark, replaced the damaged propellers and sold it again. I Did not try it on Yuneec and also never encpuntered a case where it did happen.

I am not quiet sure but aren't the pictures above showing a H920? I have never opened an H920 Plus but since it has another flight controller than the H920, I expect it to look different from the inside.

Ummmm..... The OP says "Plus" and he said he had twice flown successfully, just prior to the #5 motor issue, so unless he then intentionally unscrewed an "A" prop and mounted it onto an open "B" mount after having unscrewed the "B" prop and then exchanged both of them............well you can see this would be quite unlikely....

It gets better. The OP has stated the motors all function through the GUI and the faulty motor functions when installed at a different station.

Correction: the motor removed from another station does not function at the #5 motor station.

At this point, since the aircraft is open, I’d try reseating the M5 connector at the FC. Better yet, reseat all of them. Also check for voltage and signal at the motor connections exiting the board using a voltmeter. Check the motor wire bullet connections for faults.

There is also a possibility the bullet connector soldered on top of the board has a cracked or cold solder joint causing intermittent function when subjected to vibration.

Perhaps the next attempt at flight could be filmed so we can see what the aircraft is doing. Ideally from an angle that provides a clear view of all the props and showing vibration levels of each of the booms.

Last edited:
after having unscrewed the "B" prop and then exchanged both of them............well you can see this would be quite unlikely....

That is right but since he bought it used he might has several sets of propellers. I just wanted to mention it since it is a fairly common mistake when working with drones without having much experience/technical knowledge.

But reading what PatR wrote, it has to be something wrong with the ESC or wiring.

Regarding the propeller thing; it is possible to install the wrong quick connect on a propeller. Those easily install when someone fails to look at the propeller and quick connect labeling. I would think that would be pretty rare though. It’s something to check but I don’t believe it to be a factor with this aircraft’s operational status.

For those that aren’t already aware, quick connects are bot required for the 920+. Anyone so inclined could remove them from the props snd motors and direct mount props to the motors using shorter screws. The addition of quick connects were part of the “upgrade” from 920 to 920+, and caused a few crashes because conversion techs failed to secure them properly. The screw torque for motor mounts and quick connects are critical maintenance checks for anyone obtaining a new or used 920.

Thanks all to responding to this issue. I've came to the conclusion to return it since it's a new item the guy is sending me out a new one. As far as being able to fly it with video it would not let me keep it running it would try to start and cut the motors off almost immediately with the #5 motor error. Just for the record

Just curious, what batteries are you using? The stock batteries are not too good, and if low when launching might not have enough juice for takeoff....

I've tried with the 3 factory batteries and 2 of the zippies
Fully charged all of them

The place I bought it from was asking me if I did a DUI software update witch I didn't but he said they had one do the same thing and they did that software update and redid the compass calibrate and re bound it and it fixed it. But maybe he should of said that sooner because it's on its way back jack! Lol

Come to think of it,, the day I flyed it and everything was OK it was with the zippies and then the next day I installed the 3 factory batteries and it did that to me. But I tried re installing the zippies again and still no good.

I can't seem to get this off my mind,, I was wondering if maybe this caused it, the only thing I did differently before this happened is I used different batteries in it here's a picture of the batteries and they were new and charged. What do you guys think? I just don't want this to happen again on the new one if this was the problem. These batteries were recommended to me by someone selling there h920 here on the forums they claimed he used them in his. They fit good and seem to work fine but here's a pic if someone can confirm they are indeed OK to use? Screenshot_20190717-192546_Amazon%20Shopping.jpeg

The batteries themselves would be hard pressed to be found as a problem. The plugs used have some potential. How were the batteries connected to the aircraft? I presume you used two at a time. If adapters were used, who made them and was it possible the solder joints were poor and could arc?

In practice a battery issue would not affect a single motor as a fault would take place at the point the main feed entered the BEC circuits and affect all of them. Multirotors have several voltage requirements, 3V for GPS, 4.8-6V for the RC, 12V for video, 14.8-16.6V for the ESC/motor buss, so whatever a battery might do would happen at first fuse in line or the point voltage was being stepped down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss