Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Torque spec for Q500 props?

Reaction score
Maybe I'm over anal-yzing things, but is there a specific torque to which the stock Q500 props should be tightened? I keep reading "until the prop contacts the o-ring" but frankly, that's just not good enough for me, and, I suspect, it won't be good enough for a pre-flight inspection log for an FAA inspector if I should encounter one.

I intend to start using a log sheet when I fly, even for recreation, just in case there's an "incident", and I would prefer some hard numbers that I can check with a torque auditor and record.

Yuneec recommends one turn after contacting the o-ring. But, you will find that after several times taking the props on/off you'll need to tighten them even more, like a turn and a half. Any more than that I would replace the o-rings.

Thanks. Guess I'll have to do a series of tests and take notes, find an average, and probably break a couple off so I can narrow down the torque. If anything ever happens and the blame is laid in my lap, I can show those results to prove I had the props on correctly.

Thanks. Guess I'll have to do a series of tests and take notes, find an average, and probably break a couple off so I can narrow down the torque. If anything ever happens and the blame is laid in my lap, I can show those results to prove I had the props on correctly.
Don't over tighten them though. If you do, the real fun begins.

Reactions: Jafo
Yeah, I'm always stressing out that I'm gonna strip a motor one day by tightening them too much. I'm in no hurry to learn how to replace motors and ESCs and get them working, after seeing the threads here about it.

I found that one of the pre-installed O-Rings was much softer than the rest. Had to tighten 3 full turns after contact. Haven't had a prop come off but wasn't very confident. Went looking for a replacement and found one at home depot that was close but turned on the shaft too easily for me to be happy. Tonight found a deal on props and got best buy to match,($12 for set of 4) which included new O-Rings. Just installed one in place of the "soft" original, much better, matches the other three. Much happier and have another backup set of props.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace