Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Total Loss Of 2.4 GHz Signal On Plus

Reaction score
A little history - I've had this plus for 3 weeks. Flown my H480 for a year. Not new to drones!

Yesterday while flying thru 2 batteries I encountered lose of signal twice but just momentarily, concerning but not alarming.

Today I went to fly, at a location I've flown many times, and never got off the ground! No telemetry (2.4) signal at all! I tried all I could think of including rebooting. Nothing worked. 2.4 indicator was red and had nothing. I even switched out the antennas (didn't think that would work) to no avail. Frustrated I packed her up and went home.

So, I got home and turned everything on and she connected like normal. Thinking heat might have been a problem (I am in FL) left it sitting in the sun for 30+ minutes. No problem, she never lost connection. So, I put the props on and hovered in my yard for a full battery, no problems.

Needless to say my confidence in the PLUS's reliability at the moment is shaken. Up until yesterday all flights have been good and normal. In fact I had pushed her out to max LOS with no lose of signal.

The BIG question now is what can I check and/or test pertaining to the 2.4 GHz signal.
I really wondered if heat could be a factor even though I tried to replicate that plus I've flown other days that have been just as warm.

Any and all suggestion will be appreciated.

Strong Wi-FI in the neighbourhood might block your transmission, just a thought?

So you're saying you've flown your H without any problem but the H+ you can't get off the ground in that exact location, or there abouts?
Hmmm that's odd.
Does your H have NFZ?

Reactions: Russell Smith
So you're saying you've flown your H without any problem but the H+ you can't get off the ground in that exact location, or there abouts?
Hmmm that's odd.
Does your H have NFZ?

No, yesterdays problem & today's were in two different flying locations.
And yes, the 480 has flown often in the same locations.
Again, the plus has flown fine up until yesterday and this morning.
I am suspecting the ST16s is the problem area but no proof just a suspicion.

I had the same problems off and on till I turned off the WiFi connection in the settings area. It was seeing other WiFi connection points. In a city it still may try to connect to another feed but not near as bad.
Good tip, although the wifi is the 5.8GHz video signal. It appears he is referring to the 2.4GHz control signal which should not be affected.

I am suspecting the ST16s is the problem area but no proof just a suspicion.
Are you seeing any telemetry on the ST16?
I would remove the antennas and check the center conductor on the connectors of the ST. Should be a pin on each connector and a female on each antenna.
Turn it on again and if everything is connected, watch the signal strength while you tap and turn the ST16 to see if there might be a loose coax connector inside.

Strong Wi-FI in the neighbourhood might block your transmission, just a thought?

Not likely for the 2.4 ghz RC signal. The 5.8 ghz WiFi for video feed yes.

Reactions: Deleted member 6299
Are you seeing any telemetry on the ST16?

No, not when the problem occurs. A total blank & red signal indicator. No communications at all.

I would remove the antennas and check the center conductor on the connectors of the ST. Should be a pin on each connector and a female on each antenna.

Checked, they are fine!

Turn it on again and if everything is connected, watch the signal strength while you tap and turn the ST16 to see if there might be a loose coax connector inside.

I did try this, nothing changed (improved or loss after I was home).
Didn't try to re-bind but did go into settings and the ST16s indicated no aircraft found.
Like I stated in the OP, all worked fine after returning home.
Camera was working fine, yes I know - not 2.4 signal.

I was hoping I'd get a comment or two from you! Thanks for chiming in.

Have turned PLUS on & off twice this afternoon and all systems are fine, drone & camera bound.
Should I attempt a re-bind anyway even though it is currently bound.
Can't be losing telemetry while flying, for no apparent reason.

I have been having my gimbal just drop down limp and then come back to life several times while making video. I was away from wifi but moving quickly, perhaps too quick for the signal to keep up. Yuneec support says I should format my card. Will be trying that today.

Whatever you do, do NOT switch on the st16 with any of the antennas disconnected! You risk damaging the wifi board if you do.

Can't be losing telemetry while flying, for no apparent reason.
Do you hear the fan running when you turn on the ST16?
I agree, it sounds like the RF module is intermittent on the 2.4 side and is failing to receive a signal consistently. On the H the control and telemetry will switch to the 5.8 channel if the 2.4 fails, but not sure the H Plus does the same. Apparently not. Since this is a new unit it may be time to submit the logs to Yuneec.

Do you hear the fan running when you turn on the ST16?

Yes is running, at times it does sound sluggish (?).
Opened ST16s yesterday everything looked good/clean. Did disconnect (carefully) the 2.4 wires from the board & reconnect but looked fine.
Am going to attempt flying later today. Just don't understand what is happening.

Maybe never again (hopefully) but need to get confidence back.

I agree, it sounds like the RF module is intermittent on the 2.4 side and is failing to receive a signal consistently. On the H the control and telemetry will switch to the 5.8 channel if the 2.4 fails, but not sure the H Plus does the same. Apparently not. Since this is a new unit it may be time to submit the logs to Yuneec.

A little history - I've had this plus for 3 weeks. Flown my H480 for a year. Not new to drones!

Yesterday while flying thru 2 batteries I encountered lose of signal twice but just momentarily, concerning but not alarming.

Today I went to fly, at a location I've flown many times, and never got off the ground! No telemetry (2.4) signal at all! I tried all I could think of including rebooting. Nothing worked. 2.4 indicator was red and had nothing. I even switched out the antennas (didn't think that would work) to no avail. Frustrated I packed her up and went home.

So, I got home and turned everything on and she connected like normal. Thinking heat might have been a problem (I am in FL) left it sitting in the sun for 30+ minutes. No problem, she never lost connection. So, I put the props on and hovered in my yard for a full battery, no problems.

Needless to say my confidence in the PLUS's reliability at the moment is shaken. Up until yesterday all flights have been good and normal. In fact I had pushed her out to max LOS with no lose of signal.

The BIG question now is what can I check and/or test pertaining to the 2.4 GHz signal.
I really wondered if heat could be a factor even though I tried to replicate that plus I've flown other days that have been just as warm.

Any and all suggestion will be appreciated.
do you ever take the antenna's off while the ground control is still powered up...???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kubetlegal