Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Total portability with external monitor/inverter

Reaction score
Using the Ego Nexus Escape (120vac/150w) to power an external monitor (115vac/35w) connected to the yuneec ST16 Ground station using HDMI for the Typhoon H.

Ego inverter uses a 56v outdoor power equipment battery and a separate inverter. You can charge this up and use it literally anywhere. IMG_20181223_142924_798.jpg

Was thinking about fitting this into my Pelican I use to house the drone and all peripherals by removing the monitor feet, mounting to the inside of the lid, and storing the inverter in the extra foam by plucking another hole, buuuuut...the stock foam that the H came in rides too high for the lid to shut with the monitor inside.

Does anyone have any leads on aftermarket foam molds for the H that are lower profile? Here is the Pelican setup..IMG_20180810_190604_780.jpg20180807_205351.jpg

Just a thought... so how are you going to get a usable sunshade on that bad boy?

Just a thought... so how are you going to get a usable sunshade on that bad boy?

It was extremely overcast today so I didnt really need one - but assuming you're away from your vehicle, you could fashion one out of polystyrene and have it velcro to the monitor, which is my next step. I'll likely take one long piece, cut perforations at the bend points, and attach the Male/Female velcro to monitor and shield.

If it would have been sunny today I would have just popped the trunk and used the trunk lid to shield the light.

If you are planning on using that setup in the immediate vicinity of your car, you will be creating some potential interference issues.

Reactions: PatR and Jhen19
If you are planning on using that setup in the immediate vicinity of your car, you will be creating some potential interference issues.
Not that I want to turn this into a different type of thread, but the EMF interference is very low on modern vehicles using a fiberglass body, such as the one pictured.

I've metered EMF resistance (even from inside the car with the ST16) and it is minimal. Somewhere around >1.5v/m when the vehicle is off.

Now, say an older vehicle from before 1999 or so, has enough EMF interference to change the resistance on a compass, which to your point is very dangerous for the drone/controller signal.

Not that I want to turn this into a different type of thread, but the EMF interference is very low on modern vehicles using a fiberglass body, such as the one pictured.

I've metered EMF resistance (even from inside the car with the ST16) and it is minimal. Somewhere around >1.5v/m when the vehicle is off.

Now, say an older vehicle from before 1999 or so, has enough EMF interference to change the resistance on a compass, which to your point is very dangerous for the drone/controller signal.

The most important note that I mistakenly left out is that my takeoff point is roughly 15m away from the vehicle when I fly at home, and landing is typically farther away so I can land in a larger grass area.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Using the Ego Nexus Escape (120vac/150w) to power an external monitor (115vac/35w) connected to the yuneec ST16 Ground station using HDMI for the Typhoon H.

Ego inverter uses a 56v outdoor power equipment battery and a separate inverter. You can charge this up and use it literally anywhere. View attachment 13256

Its alot of stuff to call "portability"... and if the sun shine....

Just get an iPad pro and install the cgo app, a whole lot simpler..
I'll take a 19in monitor over a 12in monitor. Precisely why I'm not using a tablet. And, I have the potential to mount this in my Pelican. Not to mention the Cgo app is pretty darn buggy.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Last edited:
Reactions: Jhen19
The concept employed by the OP is pretty much in line with how some industrial level systems lay out a ground station. What he constructed was well thought out and serves his needs. The flight system will use a single box containing one or more monitors along with some or most of the flight equipment. Larger multirotors or fixed wing systems have the aircraft in a separate box. Other monitors can be linked to the primary system to provide viewing access for customers not in close proximity to the operator. As systems become more complex or transmit a lot of performance data that has to be monitored a multi screen station becomes necessary.

If your work does not require a lot of personal movement or requires long shooting times such arrangements can make for a comfortable and effective work station.

The concept employed by the OP is pretty much in line with how some industrial level systems lay out a ground station. What he constructed was well thought out and serves his needs. The flight system will use a single box containing one or more monitors along with some or most of the flight equipment. Larger multirotors or fixed wing systems have the aircraft in a separate box. Other monitors can be linked to the primary system to provide viewing access for customers not in close proximity to the operator. As systems become more complex or transmit a lot of performance data that has to be monitored a multi screen station becomes necessary.

If your work does not require a lot of personal movement or requires long shooting times such arrangements can make for a comfortable and effective work station.
Much appreciated sir! Hopefully I can find a better way to drop the H into the Pelican to make room for the monitor to mount inside of the lid. I'm thinking of getting a custom blowmolded shell - just need to find the right avenue.

For a client monitor I'm using an HD transmitter from the controller with 150 ft range to the receiver with an HDMI signal splitter at the receiver one leg going to a 12 inch monitor mounted on a tripod the other leg going to an HD encoder plugged into my laptop streaming live on YouTube from type of capture video from the Drone to YouTube is 7 Seconds I mostly use it for disaster and search and rescue but is great for cinematography and for a client not to hang over your shoulder or the client can see it on the internet in his office anywhere in the world with only a 7-second delay

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxTODxxx