Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Two Years Retired, Going Back to Work

PatR

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Seems I just can’t get enough. After retiring from the drone industry two years ago I was looking forward to all the free time that was to become available but I was offered a job I just couldn’t refuse. Of all things, flying multirotors.

My only hope is that at my age I can keep up with and be tolerant of the youngsters. On the flip side, if I can’t it will be easy to resume a life of leisure.

This could be fun[emoji4]

See you in the pits, grandpa.. [emoji23]
Will you be flying on bid docs or for a developer? (Or Hollywood studios?)

FYI: Contact DeSilva Gates, their up north and doing the build in Tracy, Modesto, Berkeley, and SF. I’ve worked with them, they call me from time to time, but the northern part of the Bay is headache during rush hour.

kickin azz and takin names... ?

Seems I just can’t get enough. After retiring from the drone industry two years ago I was looking forward to all the free time that was to become available but I was offered a job I just couldn’t refuse. Of all things, flying multirotors.

My only hope is that at my age I can keep up with and be tolerant of the youngsters. On the flip side, if I can’t it will be easy to resume a life of leisure.

This could be fun[emoji4]
I always thought when I retire I'd have time to catch up around the house, help my kids and grand kids and whatever time is left I'd spend on my hobbies. Is it safe to assume you still have too much 'free' time? Don't get me wrong, knowing you don't need to do this and making extra cash doing something you love, I'd probably do the same. I'm just curious.

Utilities for now. Assisting in developing structure looks to be part of things as well.

I’m starting to have second thoughts. This is going to make it hard to maintain my mid day nap schedule.

naw... between mudslides and wildfires, you'll have lots of downtime...?

GW,

I was “away” for the better part of 22 years, with the last 12 of those years home for only about a month/year split up over the span of each year. Getting “caught up” at times seems an exercise in futility, and a lot of hard work. Over the past 2 years I’ve re-roofed, sided, and painted two of the property buildings with one still to go, not to mention hand clearing out a 100’ long line of agave cactus that’s about 2/3 done. A flying job will be a vacation.

The nearest grandkids are a couple hundred miles away, have very busy schedules, and my wife’s business prohibits her getting away much.

I don’t have to go back to work but I’ve found I miss the “sense of purpose” that drives us and keeps us alive. It’s much too easy to get up in the morning and say to yourself that you really don’t have to do this or that “today” and instead just enjoy the moment. I have to break a non motivated routine I allowed to develop.

This gig was offered in a phone call the other day and as it revolves around things I enjoy and pretty good at it suits the purpose well, and I won’t have to work as hard as I do at home, while getting paid for it. More time away again but I was accustomed to that anyway. If you can get paid for having fun you’ll never work a day in your life[emoji6]

A little hard to explain but it feels right.

Last edited:
naw... between mudslides and wildfires, you'll have lots of downtime...[emoji50]

Job guarantees...

Anyone that’s looking to get into that kind of stuff, if you haven’t been keeping a log of your flights, you won’t get there. Your flight hours and experience are the first things they want to see. The companies looking for people learned the hard way there are lots of people that say they have experience but end up crashing the equipment early in their employment through lack of experience and poor judgement. If you actively seek employment you’ll need to be able to prove flight experience, including make and model.

There are companies looking for people, and I suspect a lot more companies will be popping up across the country in the very near future. What you are flying for yourself won’t matter too much as everyone flies company equipment, making standardization much easier.

Reactions: HQLaker
I most certainly will but I told ‘em we’ll use the kids for the hard stuff[emoji4]. Gotta start on the ground floor like everyone else.
Does it have something to do with all this activity going on in CA?
?

Does it have something to do with all this activity going on in CA?
[emoji116]

Ummmm... maybe. That stuff will be spreading out to the east over time. I haven’t seen paperwork and NDA’s yet so I have to abstain in some things.

Reactions: AH-1G
PrecisionHawk? I have a friend who works there. Been out here doing training and flying for them. Using Inspires for PG&E line inspections.

Not them, but all the outfits (there are several) flying the PG&E work are using I2’s. I’ve run into a few of the PH crews over the last year or so. The pic is one of the PH teams doing their stuff.

Attachments

• DSC03892-b.png
    DSC03892-b.png
    15.1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I most certainly will but I told ‘em we’ll use the kids for the hard stuff[emoji4]. Gotta start on the ground floor like everyone else.

SLACKER!!!! I bet you're not flying, but the UAV safety foreman inside the air-conditioned truck, napping.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430