Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typh. H + Bugger Of A Landing Gear Issue

Reaction score
I'm starting to think I'm jinxed. My first Typhoon H + Dropped out of the sky [the motors simply quit] on it's second flight. It was damaged beyond repair. No pilot error.
Yuneec replaced the whole package. OK, we're good to go, right?

So my replacement has been flying fine, though I've not had a lot of flights with the replacement. Tonight I took it out and
and in the process of calibrating it, while in my hands and in rotation, the landing gear moved to the raised position and stayed there.

The connection between the drone and the controller was fine. I held onto the drone so as not to damage the camera and moved over to where the controller was sitting and flipped the landing gear switch up and then down again. Nothing. No response. I completed the calibration thinking once out of that setting I'd get control again. Nope. I turned the drone off and back on again. Nothing. I rebooted both the controller and the drone and ... nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I brought the drone home in the trunk of my car, belly up to avoid damaging the exposed camera/gimbal. two of the motor arms cannot be collapsed because the landing gear (in the up position) is in the way.

I'll be setting up an appointment to speak to Yuneec as soon as possible.

Why me? Sniff, sniff.

Last edited:
The H will reset the landing gear if you cycle the landing gear on and off, while holding the H upside down. This might work for the H Plus as well. Remove the camera first.

I'm starting to think I'm jinxed. My first Typhoon H + Dropped out of the sky [the motors simply quit] on it's second flight. It was damaged beyond repair. No pilot error.
Yuneec replaced the whole package. OK, we're good to go, right?

So my replacement has been flying fine, though I've not had a lot of flights with the replacement. Tonight I took it out and
and in the process of calibrating it, while in my hands and in rotation, the landing gear moved to the raised position and stayed there.

The connection between the drone and the controller was fine. I held onto the drone so as not to damage the camera and moved over to where the controller was sitting and flipped the landing gear switch up and then down again. Nothing. No response. I completed the calibration thinking once out of that setting I'd get control again. Nope. I turned the drone off and back on again. Nothing. I rebooted both the controller and the drone and ... nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I brought the drone home in the trunk of my car, belly up to avoid damaging the exposed camera/gimbal. two of the motor arms cannot be collapsed because the landing gear (in the up position) is in the way.

I'll be setting up an appointment to speak to Yuneec as soon as possible.

Why me? Sniff, sniff.

This happened to me as well the second time I did a Compass calibration. I don't remember the exact steps but I kept booting and rebooting with the gear switch in different locations until finally it lowered the gear - you are not alone. Bugs are here.

Bug.jpg

Right. Always remove the camera when doing a compass calibration. And I should mention that you should rarely have to do the compass cal.

Reactions: bobbyrichter
This happened to me as well the second time I did a Compass calibration. I don't remember the exact steps but I kept booting and rebooting with the gear switch in different locations until finally it lowered the gear - you are not alone.

Well there is some solace in that. Thanks. I will give it a try again either tonight or tomorrow (before the phone call.) I guess I'll set it, arms extended, on a box or empty upright bucket so it's resting on something and doesn't damage the camera.

Right. Always remove the camera when doing a compass calibration. And I should mention that you should rarely have to do the compass cal.
It was my understanding that it was best to calibrate whenever flying from a different location. Not sure whether that's 50 yards away from the last flight, a few hundred yards or several miles. I'm a sponge, soaking up what you guys offer up.

Steve, Oddly enough I had removed the camera for both calibrations. And I typically will not fiddle with something that works (My 480 has only had one calibration in over a year and a half) BUT; I thought, lets do a calibration for a future video. Bad move - never again. In the end I did get the gear to extend and have had no compass problems since.

Reactions: Steve Carr
It was my understanding that it was best to calibrate whenever flying from a different location. Not sure whether that's 50 yards away from the last flight, a few hundred yards or several miles. I'm a sponge, soaking up what you guys offer up.
More likely about 500 miles East or West depending on where you are located.

I don't. I was just searching on YouTube. Thanks in advance.
Okay, it's not difficult. With the H Plus up side down, push down the tab in front of the camera. With the other hand push forward on the base of the gimbal closest to the aircraft from the back side of the gimbal

OK. There's some misinformation out there then or maybe it was when the H first came out.
Could be. There is a lot of misinformation. I can explain the reason for the calibration if you are interested.

And to piggy back on what Steve said: on the Plus you must first 'Start' the calibration with the camera on - then remove it before the first rotations. On my Plus I could not remove the camera and start a compass calibration

The compass cal is to compensate for the magnetic declination (variation) of the Earth. In other words, the difference in degrees between True North and Magnetic North. The variation changes more in the East/West direction and much less in the North/South direction. It just depends on where you are located. My personal rule of thumb is not to bother with anything less than 2 degrees change. I always try to face True North when doing a compass cal.

MagneticDeclination.jpg

Reactions: Ty Pilot
OK. Brought drone into the house and sat it upside down on the kitchen table to see if I could get the camera off. In the process, I accidentally pushed the power button on and after the drone booted-up, before I turned it off, the landing gear mechanism activated and lowered itself.

So is it the consensus here that the drone seldom needs calibrating and under what circumstances is it warranted?

Also, do I always need to remove the camera before doing so?

Is the procedure (as I think I am getting here) to start the calibration in the controller first, go to the drone and remove the camera and then to calibrate the drone? I need clarification please, so this doesn't happen again. Thanks.

The H will reset the landing gear if you cycle the landing gear on and off, while holding the H upside down. This might work for the H Plus as well. Remove the camera first.

Just discovered that but the camera was still in place. No harm done that I can see. I'm relieved but frustrated. Is there a video that shows how to remove the camera? I do best seeing it happen.

Thank you guys for the assistance. I did figure-out the camera removal and it's as easy as you said. I'd still appreciate knowing when I need to calibrate. Thanks in advance. Since I'm scheduled for a 15 min. chat with a tech tomorrow. I can just ask them these questions and be good to go. I'll understand if no one wants to clarify the calibration/camera thing, especially this late in the eveing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval