Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon 500 K wont start after re binding

Reaction score
yesterday I tried to start my 500 4k in a field too close to an airport, and it wouldn't start, it only beeped.
I brought it home and tried to start it again, but only got the beep and wouldn't start.
I just successfully did a re-bind. the camera fires and tilts up and down, but cant get the drone to start.
any suggestions would be gratefully accepted ?

I was thinking of replacing my 5004k with the Typhoon H which is now on sale.

What flight mode is the ST-10+ set to?

On startup if the Q500 what is the light sequence on the main Status LED?

How many satellites are acquired by the Q500? If it is still in the process of getting a GPS fix, it may still think it is in the NFZ.

DoomMeister,
thank you for responding to this very frustrating issue.
After reading some of the discussions in this forum, I found the answer (thank you all).
I was trying to bind the drone and the transmitter in the house, and not realizing that the drone needs GPS signal to start. I went into the menu, and turned off the GPS, and the motors turned on.
I feel so dumb not only for not realizing this, but for spending so much time on such a simple issue. I actually tried to bind two of my transmitters with no luck, and figured it must be an issue with the drone.
I am considering upgrading to the Typhoon H as it should be more stable in windy conditions than my Q500 4K. I only wish it had a better camera since I am starting to learn video, and my Q500 is flying a little quirky, especially in slight wind.

thanks again for your reply

Glad that you were able to resolve your issue. Happy flying.

thanks,

I have a photo editing question for you (if you shoot video)
I'm just starting to shoot some video for realtors ( always shoot stills). what program do you recommend for editing (I'm using a MAC).

I normally shoot my stills in RAW and DNG which gives me the best images. But when I set my camera for video and want to take a few still images also, the image quality is not very good.
do you know of a setting that gives both good video and stills? I think I'm shooting my video about 60 frames per second.

Thanks

If you are going to get stills from frame grabs out of your video, shoot video in 4K and set your shutter speed to double your FPS. I’m a PC guy myself and use Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects. I have just started video editing and still have a lot to learn. The best practice for stills is to do them in photo mode as they are taken at a higher pixel density than the video.

You mention working for a realty company doing photo and video. If you use your drone for that purpose, make sure you have your 107 remote pilot certification before you do.

You can get all the info you need at the FAA website for free.

Getting Started

Hi Doom Meister,

lately, I've been noticing, when I bring my drone down, it seems unsteady and sometimes starts to wobble, looks very menacing, so, bring it down slowly to keep it level.

Yesterday, I was flying my Q-500 at an old speedway that has been shut down for a year. its a great place to fly because of the open fields with no trees. I had my drone up about 300 ft and about 1/2 mile away from me. when I place my drone in "return to home" it starts to come back and descends. but, as it does in manual flying, it started to wobble as it got closer to the ground. at about 12 feet in the air, it started to get unstable, so I switched into manual mode, gave it some throttle to bring it up, but it wouldn't respond and crashed. the camera was hanging by the wire when the rubber shock absorbers pulled out. I removed the camera and re assembled it. The drone wouldn't start until I turned it off and on again, then started fine. I re-attached the camera which worked fine except the black panel holding the filter snapped off.
can you think of anything that would make the drone unstable and wobble when it was descending?

thanks,

Eric

@Steve Carr, do you have any ideas about the instability during descent that Photomaker is having?

can you think of anything that would make the drone unstable and wobble when it was descending?
It's called VRS (vortex ring state). It happens when a copter descends into it's own prop wash. The props are unable to provide enough lift to keep it airborne. The proper way to descend is to come in at an angle or corkscrew down to stay out of the prop wash. If you see it happening fly max stick sideways. The throttle will do nothing.
This is more common with people using carbon fiber props. It's one reason I don't advocate their use.

Reactions: DoomMeister
Thanks Steve for this very informative video.

I am in fact, using Carbon fiber props, which I switched to over a year ago, (because the Yuneec props were prone to breakage easily) but never experienced any issues until a few months ago. I normally fly it back without going to the return to home setting, unless the drone gets too far out.
two days ago, I landed it manually, and as you mentioned, tried to bring it down while moving the drone latterly. but this last time, I just hit return to home which was working nicely until it got to about 12-15 feet then, as you mentioned, it would not respond when I placed it in normal mode and tried to throttle it straight up.
thank goodness, when I re assembled the camera (which the rubber shock mounts separated) I was able to get my drone to fly again, and the camera worked.

I found the drone to be more responsive with the Carbon props, but didn't know if there was another type of prop for the Q500, and the H that is considered the best all around replacement props for both drones.

I just ordered the Typhoon H from B&H which had a huge sale. I read that it flew a little smoother and more stable.

Thanks again for the feedback. everyone on this forum has been extremely helpful

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt