Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H as a stationary remote controle camera?

Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of buying a Typhoon H to be used not only as a drone but also as a stationary cam. Can you who own one and are experienced pilots help me out here?
First question is whether it is possible to mount the drone without props hanging in a strap with the landing gear raised and still be able to control pan/tilt/rec etc. using the ST16?

Second question is regarding the video link. I assume it is a digital link, like DJI´s Lightbridge, and if so, what is the expected delay? Any tips and tricks regarding the HDMI out from the ST16?

I apologize if my questions seems somewhat stupid, but consider me a total newbie as far as Yuneec.

Best Regards from a cold and today snowy Sweden!

Hello to Sweden from cold and in some places, snowy Michigan. Most of my family came from Sweden, 3-4 generations ago.

Regarding the first question, I don't see why not. You would need to flip it over to activate the landing gear, then, turn it right side up and suspend it from the strap(s).

Regarding your second question, yes the signal is digital for video but I believe it's proprietary to Yuneec. It's not Lightbridge. The latency isn't that bad, about 0.5 sec in most cases. As far as HDMI, you should be able to just plug it into an external monitor or recorder, however the high resolution video is recorded directly to the SD card in the camera.

Just be aware that while the camera does record audio, the cooling fan noise makes it basically worthless. Since it's mostly on the drone, I don't think much thought was given to high quality sound.

You will want to use an external sound recorder and sync it up in post.

Reactions: Gson
Don't forget it will be 720 output from ST16 using HDMI connected to TV or whatever you use at other end. I'm sure using the right video transfer equipment you could boost up to 1080.
Oh,hello from Florida High today 80. :p

Hi, and thank you for a perfect answer. Is it possible to set up the ST16 to control the gimbal with the sticks, even if I only have one remote control?

Florida... spent some time in Ft Walton Beach several years ago. Great place to be
I understand that the 1080 only existing on the memory card

There is an instance where gimbal control is transferred from the left slider and separate pan knob to the right stick. When you go into the flight mode called; Curved Cable Cam or CCC, and select the Global Pan position from the pan selector switch, the right stick now has full control of the pan and tilt. One caveat though is; while the motion of panning is correct, as in left stick = pan left and so on, pulling back on the stick, which to a pilot means "Up" is actually panning down and visa versa. Takes a little getting used to it but it works beautifully. I'm doing a video on this right now. However, I don't know if this will work in a static condition as you wish to use your Typhoon.

Interesting, and sounds like it might just do the trick for me. I am actually planning to make a 3D-printed holder and mount the drone as a cable cam. The idea is that the drone will give me full camera control including HDMI link and battery power in a package under 2 kg. Hence my strange questions regarding a non flying drone.
If anybody can verify these functions for me prior to buying my own I would be most grateful.
Cheers!​

Well, to get the control I spoke of, the waypoints of the CCC mission must be selected and assigned a name. The name is selected from a list and then the Typhoon Flies to the first waypoint awaiting your command to start the mission, it is at this point that the control of the camera is given to the right stick. I'm not sure if you could do all the steps without the Typhoon actually being at the first waypoint by its own motivation ie, flying there. But perhaps you can, I'll see if I can get it to work this evening and get back to you.

Florida... spent some time in Ft Walton Beach several years ago. Great place to be
I understand that the 1080 only existing on the memory card
Yes 1080 on card, but like I mentioned with the right professional video transfer equipment it could go 1080. TV stations who use remote vans and trucks have that capability.

BTW, if it were me I would just build my own rig out of spare servos, batteries, receiver and so fourth, purchase an off the shelf transmitter and receiver rig and then use a better camera to boot like a DSLR. That is assuming you didn't necessarily need the H for flying shots; if the camera is static and only needs to be remotely panned and tilted, you don't really need the 3 axis gimbal.

This is from last year; quite windy but I'd say in some situations without sound it is quite worthless. This year it wasn't windy and the sound (when I remembered to turn the mic on) made half the video.

BTW, if it were me I would just build my own rig out of spare servos, batteries, receiver and so fourth, purchase an off the shelf transmitter and receiver rig and then use a better camera to boot like a DSLR. That is assuming you didn't necessarily need the H for flying shots; if the camera is static and only needs to be remotely panned and tilted, you don't really need the 3 axis gimbal.
True, but the stabilized gimbal comes in handy when running the cable car along the wire. It’s also a matter of cost and compatibility when putting camera, gimbal, control and a digital video link together. As with the Yuneec I know that all items will play together and it all weighs in under 2 kg’s (which is what the cable cam car is designed for) But, it’s not as fun as a complete diy rig for sure, I agree :)

[QUOTE=" I'll see if I can get it to work this evening and get back to you.[/QUOTE]
That would be supernice! Many thanks for the effort :)

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Okay, so I booted up and connected with motors off and went thru the steps, it asks that the craft be flying before proceeding. So it looks like you will not have total control on the right stick without flying, however you do still have the ability for full control using the pan dial (on Global Mode) and the tilt slider.

IMG_0505.JPG

You can also get the same effect, i.e. controlling the gimbal with the left stick by setting up Team mode. Even tough you only have 1 ST16, it works. I just can recall if the pan and tilt via the left stick works the same as CCC mode. By enabling Team Mode you essentially are becoming the camera operator with a single ST16. You just won't have a pilot mode which would require a second ST16 but since you won't be flying, this configuration may also work. The pan and tilt via the stick works really well.

Reactions: Steve Carr
Ok, thanks everybody for helping me out. Great forum spirit! :)
Just to be sure (since my english understanding isn’t perfect), I should be able to setup my only ST16 as a ”second” remote controller and have full control over the gimbal using the sticks (and not the slider/knobs) and camera settings? And the video link will also work? If so, my problem is solved! If someone really have the time and possibility to check this out in real it would be great! I am curious about this since I know that DJI require two remote controllers set up as ”master” and ”slave” in orders to get such a thing to work. The Yuneec solution above is a much, much better solution for me, if it works :)
Please, let me know when someone have verified (tried irl) the idea.
Many thanks in advance from Sweden!

If you go this route, rather than raise the landing gear to get them out of the way, just remove them so they won't get broken somehow. Two hex screws per side and slide them out of their wells.

If you go this route, rather than raise the landing gear to get them out of the way, just remove them so they won't get broken somehow. Two hex screws per side and slide them out of their wells.
Good idea! Thanks :)

Ok, thanks everybody for helping me out. Great forum spirit! :)
Just to be sure (since my english understanding isn’t perfect), I should be able to setup my only ST16 as a ”second” remote controller and have full control over the gimbal using the sticks (and not the slider/knobs) and camera settings? And the video link will also work? If so, my problem is solved! If someone really have the time and possibility to check this out in real it would be great! I am curious about this since I know that DJI require two remote controllers set up as ”master” and ”slave” in orders to get such a thing to work. The Yuneec solution above is a much, much better solution for me, if it works :)
Please, let me know when someone have verified (tried irl) the idea.
Many thanks in advance from Sweden!
Using your ST16 controller, set it up for team mode. You may have to re-bind it to the drone. Once connected, you won't be able to fly the drone but you can control the camera with the left stick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430