Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Typhoon H Battery Life

Reaction score
Are there any after market batteries for the Typhoon H that will extend the flight time

There are certainly aftermarket batteries that are much less expensive than the OEM's. I'm not so sure about extending the flight time. If you buy one that is rated at 6300 mAh it will be roughly equivalent to the 5400 mAh Yuneec battery. It's simply a difference in the voltage endpoint they use to measure the output.
I did see one that was labeled 7400, but I don't know if I would really trust that rating. Larger capacities generally means a larger battery and we have a limited space to work with.

YUNEEC TYPHOON BATTERY TRAY H XT60 8000mah that you put a standard LIPO battery in has anyone had any experience with them? Thanks Steve

Short answer has less expensive, good batteries available but longer flight times require more exotic solutions.

I have a tray and several larger batteries, even LIHVs, but I only got 2-4 minutes more and the extra hassle wasn't worth it.

If you do not need to take pics/videos, remove the camera and you'll get 25 minutes.

Making videos, plan your shots ahead and make the best use of time. Videos not longer than 3 minutes or so get the most views on YouTube. :)

I have a tray and several larger batteries, even LIHVs, but I only got 2-4 minutes more and the extra hassle wasn't worth it.

If you do not need to take pics/videos, remove the camera and you'll get 25 minutes.

Making videos, plan your shots ahead and make the best use of time. Videos not longer than 3 minutes or so get the most views on YouTube. :)
Seems that the "only" Typhoon solution is to buy a 520 to achive longer flight time. Will be more than interesting to know what real flight time with video running will be!

I got some 6300s and they FAR outlast the stock 5400s. I did two real estate shoots on one battery gol'dang. They were both pre-planned.

I got some 6300s and they FAR outlast the stock 5400s. I did gol'dang. They were both pre-planned.
I got some 6300s and they FAR outlast the stock 5400s. I did two real estate shoots on one battery gol'dang. They were both pre-planned.
Texy, what is "FAR"? How many minutes MORE? "I did two real estate shoots on one battery" doesn't tell us anything.

I've found that a good 6300 mA labelled battery, starting out fully charged, flown in the same manner as a Yuneec battery labeled as 5400 mA provides flight times to be comparable. Re-charging provides similar data as well.

We have choices. We can buy a $100.00+ battery of questionable capacity from Yuneec. We can buy shells that permit adapting typical lipo batteries of different capacities to fit the H, but need to be cognizant of battery dimensions before obtaining them, and then fuss with putting them in the adaptor for use, then removing them to charge, or obtain good 6300 mA batteries for $55.00 each from Gens/Tattu and have more of them.

If you're sweating having to own more than a single battery to get as much flight time as possible, or need a battery that will permit longer distance flying, you don't have a real issue with either the Yuneec 5400mA or a 6300mA battery. It's an issue more about acceptance or self control.

Last edited:
In my opinion it is better to have more batteries than to try and get extra flight time out of an individual battery. I know that I can get up to 19 minutes flight out of a battery to first warning on a 'normal' sort of flight: I.E. a flight where i'm not pushing the speed or doing hard climbs, but I find that I rarely do an individual flight lasting so long...I'm usually landed by 15 or 16 minutes having usually captured in video or pictures what I've set out to get (planned flights), and use a second battery to tidy up, so to speak, and get a bit more fun in. In my year of flying a H I've never had a need to fly more than 3 batteries on a job (I've used more than 3 batteries but I'd already got everything and more that I set out for).

Indeed, if I think it would take me more than 15 or 16 minutes to get what I want, then I'll land at 13 or 14 minutes and re-fuel...no sense in stressing a battery unnecessarily.

IMHO the buggering around to get just a couple of more minutes in the air just ain't worth it when all I need do is bring an extra battery with me on a shoot.

Reactions: AussieCate and PatR
Texy, what is "FAR"? How many minutes MORE? "I did two real estate shoots on one battery" doesn't tell us anything.
I was trying to give you my impression. Here in North Texas we get gusty winds all spring, summer, and fall. There is no way for me to make an accurate comparison, but so far I have not received a battery warning on the 6300s and I get them every time I fly with the stock 5400s. I tripled up on batteries so I can make it through the day, and six of them seems to be enough. That is three stock 5400s and three third party 6300s.

I have 6 Yuneec batteries and 2 Tattu 6300 batteries. Until two months ago I did all my flying in the Columbia River Gorge, the kite boarding capital of the world. Winds of 10 knots are considered a light breeze and a no wind day is a rarity.

Since May 2016 I've experienced two voltage warnings, both experimenting with battery life. Although every flight employs a timer to record flight times for a log book, which also goes into the log book, monitoring voltage is what is used to determine when I land. When I see 14.8V on the screen I bring it home. By 14.5V it's on the ground. Only after it's in the ground do I look at the timer. The point is; if you are constantly getting low voltage warnings it's because you aren't paying enough attention to the voltage displays on the screen. Sure, conditions and how you fly impacts flight time but voltage level establishes when you should land, not time.

I don't believe there is a capacity difference between the Yuneec and 6300mA batteries, my best guess is the Yuneec batteries are 6300's but deliberately mis-labeled for shipping cost reasons. If your batteries are providing much less flight time under similar conditions I would be checking their condition with a good charger system. If you have been recording flight times and charge information for each use cycle you could quickly review that information to determine if anything had changed over the time you've had them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval