Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

TYPHOON H - Battery Review - Increase your flight time - Powerextra

The actual capacity of the stock Typhoon H battery has been discussed and argued about ever since the first TH was sold.

Sure enough, right on the battery it reads: 5400 mAh. So if it flies a TH for, say, 18 minutes, then a battery claiming 7000 mAh should fly the same craft under the same conditions over 23 minutes, right?

But it did not, it flew maybe a minute or so longer. Two others I tested claiming 6300 mAh flew the same times as stock batteries.

One new LIPO battery claiming 8050 mAh does indeed fly 25% longer than a stock battery. The only other batteries I have tested that flew that long were LIHV batteries in a battery holder, which I will not use on a daily basis.

I have not tested a Powerextra battery, but I do know they sell replacement batteries for dozens of products.

Eggs are 25 cents each, or 3 for a buck.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Eagle's Eye Video
Oh criminey, until this one I liked your how to videos for the H. This comparison is almost devoid of comparative data to make a true comparison. New battery against one having how many previous cycles and of what age? Were the cases weighed independent of the battery to determine if weight difference was because of the battery or case material volume and density? Is the stock battery truly 5400mA or actually a 6300 mA battery deliberately mislabeled to allow for higher shipping unit volume to reduce costs, as has been done before by Yuneec and other battery manufacturers?

You've been using the H long enough to, like many of us, strongly suspect the stock battery is a 6300mA unit. Testing other 6300mA labeled batteries has provided little difference when new-new for flight time over the stock battery under identical conditions. As a UAV R&D test technician I would never present your findings as comprehensive and complete to a design review board. They have more holes in them than Swiss cheese.

Reactions: Rayray
I have both 5400 and 6300, I have increased my flight time up to a max of 25 minutes. I did a gig for Bay Nine News Tampa in Florida, all I had to do was hover. But when flying around I can get up to 21 minutes verses 17 maybe 18 minutes with 5400's. BTW I use a stop watch for every flight to record time.

Last edited:
All the 6300mAh batteries I have tested are equivalent to the stock Yuneec battery. Glad you found one that actually is better. Would be nice to see the same est in dead calm air with 2 TH side by side.

Reactions: Rayray
Pat, sometimes I wonder if anyone actually reads what we write. Kinda a waste of time, but we keep on trying...:)

I'm new here and to the H, saw this today and posted it. Thought it was good, sorry if it was wrong info.

Oh criminey, until this one I liked your how to videos for the H. This comparison is almost devoid of comparative data to make a true comparison. New battery against one having how many previous cycles and of what age?

Just as we know the Captain he does his best without even trying to be scientific. I like that, sometimes practice shows different results then science only.

He clearly states the Yuneec battery is as good as new, 5 cycles only.

:)

I'm more interested in the quality of the battery than flight time when new; flushed lots of money down the rabbit hole early on.

Newly ordered Tattu H replacements should be here today; hopefully are as good or better than stock.

Still waiting for the di-lithium crystal technology to get to market.

Newly ordered Tattu H replacements should be here today; hopefully are as good or better than stock.

I have one, works great. same times as stock. The 8050 LIPO I got from HK is impressive, should be some USA stock soon. Not as cheap as Tattoo.o_O

All the 6300mAh batteries I have tested are equivalent to the stock Yuneec battery. Glad you found one that actually is better. Would be nice to see the same est in dead calm air with 2 TH side by side.
Opps my new ones are 6700mAh

Oh criminey, until this one I liked your how to videos for the H. This comparison is almost devoid of comparative data to make a true comparison. New battery against one having how many previous cycles and of what age? Were the cases weighed independent of the battery to determine if weight difference was because of the battery or case material volume and density? Is the stock battery truly 5400mA or actually a 6300 mA battery deliberately mislabeled to allow for higher shipping unit volume to reduce costs, as has been done before by Yuneec and other battery manufacturers?

You've been using the H long enough to, like many of us, strongly suspect the stock battery is a 6300mA unit. Testing other 6300mA labeled batteries has provided little difference when new-new for flight time over the stock battery under identical conditions. As a UAV R&D test technician I would never present your findings as comprehensive and complete to a design review board. They have more holes in them than Swiss cheese.

Love it! Pat, I didn't post the video in this thread.... But I will respond. You do realize that sometimes you are like one of the two old guys on the muppet show that sit up in the balcony ready with glass "less than half full" comments. :)

My videos are "fun videos" but the results are always real. I think like the average camera drone pilot who just wishes to go out and have fun and not take things too seriously. The tests in the video were 2 of many I could have done and the results are real from the perspective of an everyday drone pilot. I didn't fly under controlled environmental circumstances and I didn't x-ray or analyze the plastic and chemicals used in the battery construction. There was nothing scientific in the video.... just real world flying that any drone pilot would do.

I still love the Muppets Pat!

MUPPETS.jpg

The actual capacity of the stock Typhoon H battery has been discussed and argued about ever since the first TH was sold.

Sure enough, right on the battery it reads: 5400 mAh. So if it flies a TH for, say, 18 minutes, then a battery claiming 7000 mAh should fly the same craft under the same conditions over 23 minutes, right?

But it did not, it flew maybe a minute or so longer. Two others I tested claiming 6300 mAh flew the same times as stock batteries.

One new LIPO battery claiming 8050 mAh does indeed fly 25% longer than a stock battery. The only other batteries I have tested that flew that long were LIHV batteries in a battery holder, which I will not use on a daily basis.

I have not tested a Powerextra battery, but I do know they sell replacement batteries for dozens of products.

Eggs are 25 cents each, or 3 for a buck.:rolleyes:

Check the vdc..!!! I did a search and it appears to be selling in the UK & is 8050mAh @ ****14.8V****

Thanks for the reply Captain:)

Sorry, but some of these folks nitpick the "advertised" flight time that reads "up to X minutes" to death and present their flight time difference from what's stated in the "Up To" advertising in a manner similar to something being presented in a murder trial. For some of them a 30 second delta is almost like the end of the world. They take the flight time stuff super seriously. For the record, I fly voltage, not time, and if the flight can stay in the air long enough to accomplish the mission, planned around a flight time of about 65%-70% of what a battery will allow, what's left over doesn't matter. I suspect you do similar and don't "fly out" a battery unless performing a test.

It may be you just obtained a 6300mA battery that works a little better than most in this capacity. My personal experience with batteries in the Yuneec case is limited to the stock Yuneec battery and a pair of 6300mA batteries from Gens-Tattu, where they provide essentially the same operational time between them. Sure, there are some minor flight time differences between them depending on the temperature of the H, the batteries, and their various ages but the use time is pretty darn consistent when they are flown under controlled or very similar conditions. What may be of interest is they all re-charge to full capacity in generally the same amount of time and similar milliamp counts after comparable test flights. A few seconds of charge time(<60) and minor mA input differences but nothing significant that would suggest the Yuneec and Gens-Tattu batteries are of different capacities.

The point I am trying to make above is the stock Yuneec battery for the H is highly likely to be a deliberately mislabeled 6300 mA battery, the same capacity as the one you tested. Without destroying a battery (costs too much for me to do) it's pretty hard to establish the true size but there's enough circumstantial evidence to permit a presumption of the stock H battery being a 6300mA unit, not 5400mA. The difference in performance is likely found through cell quality.and perhaps C rating I suspect the time improvement is more about cell quality than C rating though as higher C rated batteries are usually heavier than lower C rated batteries of the same capacity.

As you mentioned, higher discharge capability is available from a higher C rated battery. It would be interesting to see test results from several of the PowerExtra batteries to determine if the additional performance you obtained would be proportionally consistent across all of them. You may have been sent a battery that had been cherry picked by the maker. It does happen. From the Amazon ad we see the following statement, which references a similar flight time as what is mentioned on the Yuneec site, which is why I would like to see a few more samples tested for consistency.
"[Performance] With upgraded capacity 6300mAh, the flight battery provides 18-22 minutes' flying time on a single charge. The actual time may vary influenced by other factors."
I do like seeing the maker shipping a battery bag with the product. Really nice would be if they shipped the battery in the bag;)

At ~$83.00 the PowerExtra battery lands in the middle of what we see for 6300mA batteries, which range from ~$120.00 for a Yuneec battery to $55.00 for a Gens-Tattu battery. and considering it comes with a fire bag is a pretty fair deal. It also qualifies for Prime shipping which is nice. Yuneec and their retailers add on a shipping fee for the stock battery so the Yuneec battery is really ~$5.00 higher in price than what's listed on websites. I'd buy the battery but I would not depend on a 3-4 minute delta in flight time as justification for the purchase. The fire bag is, to me, more of a reason to make the buy

Just found this review by Captain Drone of the new H Powerextra battery. This is available from Amazon in the UK. After seeing the review it look as as if at £69.99 it is worth a try. My Yuneec batteries have been used for just over a year now and I have had a couple of unexpected low battery warnings. I think some of these may be worth a try - Captain Drone is a realistic reviewer.

BTW the battery is 6300 and comes with a Lipo bag.

Add: Just found another review by Jeff Sibelius

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeezygaphoodie